Birdhunter 7x18 Build

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Birdhunter 7x18 Build

Postby birdhunter » Sun Mar 03, 2019 5:16 pm

Looking for opinions and comments.....Getting close to ordering my 7x18 Tandem axle slant V nose. Upgrades from manufacture are: 7'6'' height, .030 Aluminum skin, One piece aluminum roof, 5200# axles, rv step, 36'' rv door moved closer to fender, extended tongue, Bulldog coupler, solid rear wall(no ramp or barn doors), swing up jack, and scissor jacks.

I will add 3-15''x30'' windows, an awning, 1.5'' wall insulation, 2'' ceiling insulation, 2" floor insulation, window unit a/c, shower, sink, toilet, 45gal fresh water tank, grey tank, black tank, hot water heater, mini fridge, micro wave, tv, 3-100 watt solar panels, 1 full bed, and bunk beds.

The CTC will be used for bird hunting in the western states off the beaten path in some areas. 40% off-grid, 60% shore power. Most important to me is sleeping accommodations and a hot shower at the end of the day. On occasion I will have buddies that will join me(bunk beds). My brother in-law is 6'6'' hence one of the reasons for the taller trailer.

I would like to have a higher ground clearence as I travel some of the gravel/dirt pothole roads to set up camp. Thinking about flipping the axles or maybe straight axles. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advanced for the help and look forward to sharing the build over the next several months.
birdhunter
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Birdhunter 7x18 Build

Postby featherliteCT1 » Sun Mar 03, 2019 6:45 pm

You might consider going to 16" wheels and tires .... that will raise the trailer a bit ... perhaps the manufacturer could tell you how much more clearance you will have. Another advantage to the 16" tires is that the tires are better quality and will not degrade as fast.
featherliteCT1
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby flboy » Sun Mar 03, 2019 8:36 pm

Sounds like a nice trailer with lots of extras!

If you want the clearance, straight axles are the way to go. I have a 7*18 that is also 7.5' High and with a 2ft. v nose. I have drop axles and I put them on the other side of the springs for some lift after a two years.

That is the one thing I wish I did... straight axles. I will likely replace them some day for heavier axles and get straight axles.
Don (Flboy)

YouTube Video of Finished 6x12 Trailer:
https://youtu.be/6_-8cVdWUIA
YouTube Video of 7*18 with 2ft V-nose Trailer:
https://youtu.be/MUcMM86LA2g
flboy
Gold Donating Member

Postby Iconfabul8 » Mon Mar 04, 2019 12:41 am

Sounds like a fun build. Looking forward to seeing your progress. A few things in your description sound a little familiar to me ,nice shower, self contained, move door back... Ground clearance is kind of essential for a self contained ctc. I went with 45 degree down turn torsion axles to get the extra height. So far I am very happy with them. They ride nice, they are quiet, They cost a bit more but not much. Anyhow it is an option.

Here is a pic to give you an idea of the ground clearance I have.
Iconfabul8
500 Club

Postby aggie79 » Mon Mar 04, 2019 9:20 am

I look forward to your build!

Would you mind saying what CT manufacturer you are working with on the custom CT? For the floorplans we are considering, we don't need rear barn doors or ramp door. My initial thoughts are that should be a cost savings - no door(s) versus doors. Is that they case?

Take care,
Tom
Tom (& Linda)
For build info on our former Silver Beatle teardrop:
Build Thread

aggie79
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Postby birdhunter » Mon Mar 04, 2019 2:28 pm

Decided to go with straight axles and 16" tires for more ground clearance. The trailer is manufactured by Diamond Cargo in Douglas, Ga but buying it from Trojan Cargo Sales in Douglas. So far they have been very easy to work with but I haven't put the deposit down yet either. There is no charge on the solid rear wall.
birdhunter
Teardrop Inspector

Postby aggie79 » Mon Mar 04, 2019 4:24 pm

birdhunter wrote:Decided to go with straight axles and 16" tires for more ground clearance. The trailer is manufactured by Diamond Cargo in Douglas, Ga but buying it from Trojan Cargo Sales in Douglas. So far they have been very easy to work with but I haven't put the deposit down yet either. There is no charge on the solid rear wall.

Thanks for the info. One of these days I hope to start a build of my own.
Tom (& Linda)
For build info on our former Silver Beatle teardrop:
Build Thread

aggie79
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Postby kirkupnorth » Sat Mar 09, 2019 7:21 pm

Sounds like it will be a fun build -- looking forward to watching it!

Do you already have a rough plan for your layout?
kirkupnorth
Teardrop Master

Postby rebar » Sun Mar 10, 2019 9:27 am

After owning a toyhauler, I could never own a trailer without a ramp door..

97 12 valve 4x4 5 speed
rebar
Teardrop Master

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions