rear trailer camera

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

rear trailer camera

Postby yycwrangler » Wed Apr 03, 2019 1:17 pm

Hi Folks

Have a back up camera on my Jeep Wrangler but would like to put one on he back of the trailer for backing up..I imagine you would run the camera wires in through the same spot as where my electric break batteries enters the trailer. Maybe run it then along the ceiling. At the from come up with a plug that I would unplug from the current camera and then plugin the trailer camera.

Anyone done this..Don't really want a wireless as this would mean another screen in the cab of the jeep and they are a lot more expensive than wired version.

Al
yycwrangler
Teardrop Master

Re: rear trailer camera

Postby cg_ops » Wed Apr 03, 2019 2:00 pm

I picked up this one https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002G ... UTF8&psc=1

We ran the wire down to the bottom of the trailer in the interior molding, then routed it through channels in the frame, underneath. We zip-tied it to the 7-pin connector with its own custom pigtail. Then ran that into the cab and the power/relay box. Then from the relay box to my dash.

I like that it has a sun shade, too

Decent image quality for a backup camera system

We had to cut the cord and add a couple pigtails b/c these systems seem to be made for RV's so they don't really offer a quick-connect option for the point at which you connect the trailer.
cg_ops
Teardrop Builder

Postby yycwrangler » Thu Apr 04, 2019 12:50 am

Hi Cg

Great looking job and it sounds like we're on the same thoughts. The only difference for me is that I have the screen etc and rear camera on the jeep. So I would run the wire the same and then have a plug at the hitch that I could disconnect the jeep camera and hook up the trailer one..Now if we could just get the weather to warm up

Cheers
Al
yycwrangler
Teardrop Master

Postby cg_ops » Thu Apr 04, 2019 12:26 pm

I thought about tying it in to my built-in backup camera on the truck but was talked out of it. It's actually nice to have both cameras. When I backup I can keep an eye on the back of the trailer AND on the hitch area. It proved useful for positioning the sand pad after the rear of the trailer was in position.
cg_ops
Teardrop Builder

Postby Aguyfromohio » Thu Apr 04, 2019 2:16 pm

The wired equipment above is more work to install than want, and I am reluctant to mount a big ugly video monitor in the tow vehicle, that's' my daily driver.

So I just can't let go of this next idea, despite zero results when I checked around last year.
There must be an inexpensive wifi outdoor camera that will send the image to a phone or tablet.
My phone and tablet are both able to be a wifi hot spot so I always have a wireless network with me on my phone.

I imaging mounting some small wireless battery operated camera to the trailer and using the phone or tablet to check traffic behind, or when backing up.

Has anyone here ever found something like this?
Aguyfromohio
Gold Donating Member

Postby dirtsailor2003 » Thu Apr 04, 2019 2:30 pm

Aguyfromohio wrote:The wired equipment above is more work to install than want, and I am reluctant to mount a big ugly video monitor in the tow vehicle, that's' my daily driver.

So I just can't let go of this next idea, despite zero results when I checked around last year.
There must be an inexpensive wifi outdoor camera that will send the image to a phone or tablet.
My phone and tablet are both able to be a wifi hot spot so I always have a wireless network with me on my phone.

I imaging mounting some small wireless battery operated camera to the trailer and using the phone or tablet to check traffic behind, or when backing up.

I thought about doing this with my Blink Camera (Amazon product). Battery life would questionable though.

I went with this unit and mounted the screen to the dash with 3m velcro. Removes easily. The wiring is a bit of a mess and I have simplified all the connections.

I see now that they have improved the set up...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N0 ... UTF8&psc=1
dirtsailor2003
The 300 Club

Postby PrecisionLook612 » Sun Apr 07, 2019 4:20 pm

Aguyfromohio wrote:The wired equipment above is more work to install than want, and I am reluctant to mount a big ugly video monitor in the tow vehicle, that's' my daily driver.

This video is a few years old now but here is a guy on YouTube that did exactly what you are describing. I would hope the equipment has gotten better by now. https://youtu.be/6UIG-31UCFU
PrecisionLook612
Teardrop Builder

Postby Shadow Catcher » Mon Apr 08, 2019 8:05 am

We have a wireless Yada backup camera placed at the back of our tear powered by the running lights, The field of view is too wide almost to the point of making it useless. so the idea of using a different monitor and camera is attractive. The video has the information and this set up is available on Amazon
https://www.amazon.com/WishRing-Realtime-Transmitter-170%C2%B0Camera-Android/dp/B01N5XHP0C/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?keywords=Wifi+Transmitter+model+903W&qid=1554731214&s=gateway&sr=8-1-fkmr0
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Postby Tomterrific » Mon Apr 08, 2019 2:52 pm

I ran into a guy with a huge trailer. He had wireless cameras on the sides and in the rear. I figured they must have strong wireless but he put the transmitter in the very front by extending the wires.

Tt
Tomterrific
500 Club

Postby working on it » Mon Apr 08, 2019 4:00 pm

* I've only had experiences with two different rearview cameras: 1) PEAK 2.4" wired, and 2) 2015 Chevy Silverado factory system. Worlds apart in capability.

* 1) With the PEAK system (bought in 2009 for use on my '09 HHR Panel - where limited rear and side views made backing out of parking spots difficult-) I mounted it under the bumper to keep it from shaking loose, as it might've if mounted on the rear license plate bracket, and I was restricted to observing approaching tires and/or feet. But, that worked for me, until my vision required a larger display than 2.4", and I learned to park in spots with more visibility, so I removed it.

* 2) The last time I had to leave my daily driver HHR in the dealership across the street from my job (60 miles from home), overnight for a recall, I was given a new 2015 Silverado with the fancy electronic info center. I was impressed with the 7 or 8" display that had gridlines for backing up...much better than on my vehicle, and I tested it by backing up into every spot I could over the 2-day period I had that truck. After a few times, I easily backed up to my race-car hauler, parked in the backyard, without even getting out of the truck. Normally, I am in/out of the truck 2-3 times while hooking up unaided.

* Lesson learned: get the biggest display you can, and learn the gridline spacing. If I was to still be racing, or camp more than 2-3 times a year, then I'd get the biggest display, wireless IP68 transmitter system I could find (or one that would transmit to the 8-inch Lenovo tablet I use for Google maps when travelling). As is, I don't really need one, especially since my 4x8 squareback TTT is easy to look beyond at campsites.

tablet for GPS mapping, rearview camera display.jpg
tablet for GPS mapping, rearview camera display.jpg (318.63 KiB) Viewed 4321 times
2013 HHRv "squareback/squaredrop", rugged, 4x8 TTT, 2225 lbs
  • *3500 lb Dexter EZ-Lube braked axle, 3000 lb.springs, active-progressive bumpstop suspension
  • *27 x 8.5-14LT AT tires (x 3) *Weight Distribution system for single-beam tongue
  • *100% LED's & GFCI outlets, 3x fans, AM/FM/CD/Aux. *A/C & heat, Optima AGM, inverter & charger(s)
  • *extended-run, on-board, 2500w generator *Coleman dual-fuel stove & lantern, Ikea grill, vintage skillet
  • *zinc/stainless front & side racks *98"L x 6" diameter rod & reel carrier tube on roof
working on it
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby yycwrangler » Sun Apr 21, 2019 8:52 pm

so I finally went with a wireless camera that shows through my iPhone. After the first time it is synced, every time I activate the camera the pic comes up on the iPhone..Get it a couple of days from now and designed for a rv or semi..Will post the results once I get it setup..Thoughts are putting it on a magnetic strip with a quick connect power. That way I can move it to different locations.

More to follow
Al
yycwrangler
Teardrop Master

Postby tiiiiii85 » Mon Apr 22, 2019 2:15 am

yycwrangler wrote:so I finally went with a wireless camera that shows through my iPhone. After the first time it is synced, every time I activate the camera the pic comes up on the iPhone..Get it a couple of days from now and designed for a rv or semi..Will post the results once I get it setup..Thoughts are putting it on a magnetic strip with a quick connect power. That way I can move it to different locations.

More to follow
Al
This sounds pretty interesting and easy to use. Keep us posted.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk
tiiiiii85
Teardrop Builder

Postby yycwrangler » Fri Jun 07, 2019 11:17 am

So all went well with my camera install..Mounted above rear door..Connected to my running lights so anytime they are on, so is the camera (nothing seen from looking at it when on)..Could also connect it up front to 7 pin reverse but just don't have the time at the moment.

When the camera is powered it creates it's own wifi signal, so I go to my wifi settings and find the one the manufacture states will appear. Once selected open the camera app and the image appears..Look clean and is definitely helpful when back up..Signal seems strong. Will send some pics shortly but it's pouring outside today so will wait for a dry day..More to follow

Al
yycwrangler
Teardrop Master

Postby PrecisionLook612 » Fri Jun 07, 2019 4:17 pm

yycwrangler wrote:So all went well with my camera install..Mounted above rear door..Connected to my running lights so anytime they are on, so is the camera (nothing seen from looking at it when on)..Could also connect it up front to 7 pin reverse but just don't have the time at the moment.

When the camera is powered it creates it's own wifi signal, so I go to my wifi settings and find the one the manufacture states will appear. Once selected open the camera app and the image appears..Look clean and is definitely helpful when back up..Signal seems strong. Will send some pics shortly but it's pouring outside today so will wait for a dry day..More to follow

Al

Do you have a link for the camera?
PrecisionLook612
Teardrop Builder

Postby yycwrangler » Fri Jun 07, 2019 4:51 pm

yycwrangler
Teardrop Master

Next

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions