power from jeep to trailer

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

power from jeep to trailer

Postby yycwrangler » Wed Apr 03, 2019 1:22 pm

When getting the jeep hitch installed, I asked them to run an isolator and wire for 12volt through to the trailer. So currently I have power to the 7 pin plug. On the trailer side, what do you do to run the power the rest of the way into the trailer..Most likely through any wire opening already in trailer. Which pin do you use on the trailer side and do I need to ground the trailer (I'm thinking so). How about if the trailer is all aluminum.

Any help would be great

Al
yycwrangler
Teardrop Master

Re: power from jeep to trailer

Postby John61CT » Wed Apr 03, 2019 2:06 pm

How many watts (amps @12V) will the connection need to carry?

If you've no idea, list the load devices, batteries, charge sources etc at each end to help derive a ballpark estimate.

For anything significant, a pai of Andersons works much better than the pins on a trailer plug.

Also need properly sized wires, depends on distance and devices' sensitivity to voltage drop.
John61CT
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby onehoser » Wed Apr 03, 2019 2:19 pm

this might help
Last edited by onehoser on Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
I am the wisest man alive, for i know one thing, and that is that i know nothing. (socrates)
onehoser
The 300 Club

Postby beachguy005 » Wed Apr 03, 2019 4:08 pm

Does your trailer have a 4 or 7 pin connector?

Read your other post mentioning breaks so I'll guess you have a 7 pin on your trailer. One of the pins will be marked "aux" which is what you use. There's probably a wire on that pin going back into the trailer already.
beachguy005
Teardrop Master

Postby bdosborn » Wed Apr 03, 2019 7:03 pm

onehoser wrote:this might help

It might help start a fire, a #10 wire with 85A is dangerously overloaded, no matter how short the run.
Bruce
2009 6.5'X11' TTT - Boxcar
All it takes is a speck of faith and a few kilowatts of sweat and grace.
Boxcar Build
aVANger Build
bdosborn
Donating Member

Postby John61CT » Wed Apr 03, 2019 7:33 pm

Yes toss that chart, very dangerous.

Blue Sea' Circuit Wizard is my reco
John61CT
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby yycwrangler » Thu Apr 04, 2019 12:46 am

Thanks guys for the feedback. The line would be used to just charge my battery pack which supplies power to my led light and that's about it. The other thing I have is an ebike and if I could figure out how to connect that via 12 volt it would nice to charge that while travelling. That being said, in the jeep it has one of those 120v outlets where you can plug a home appliance into it. Have used it for my laptop etc. I don't think you put anything with a large draw on that outlet. But it might be the ideal thing for the ebike battery

I will check and see if the trailer plug does in fact show a aux spot and fingers crossed that it's already got wire running from it

Cheers
Al
yycwrangler
Teardrop Master

Postby yycwrangler » Thu Apr 04, 2019 12:47 am

Thanks guys for the feedback. The line would be used to just charge my battery pack which supplies power to my led light and that's about it. The other thing I have is an ebike and if I could figure out how to connect that via 12 volt it would nice to charge that while travelling. That being said, in the jeep it has one of those 120v outlets where you can plug a home appliance into it. Have used it for my laptop etc. I don't think you put anything with a large draw on that outlet. But it might be the ideal thing for the ebike battery

I will check and see if the trailer plug does in fact show a aux spot and fingers crossed that it's already got wire running from it

Cheers
Al
yycwrangler
Teardrop Master

Postby John61CT » Thu Apr 04, 2019 7:21 am

yycwrangler wrote:The line would be used to just charge my battery pack which supplies power to my led light and that's about it. The other thing I have is an ebike and if I could figure out how to connect that via 12 volt it would nice to charge that while travelling.
"Just"? LOL! Battery charging is potentially **much** higher currents than anything else.

And **highly** variable depending on the specific batts.

Engineering very fat cables with Andersons is not rocket science but in this case I advise against DIY that approach.

Get a solid DCDC charger in the trailer to limit current and feed correct voltage.

The boost converter / PSU needed for the eBike can use its output as well, if it does not have configurable current limiting of its own.

Size the main cabling conservatively according to the charts after determining the max current.

I very strongly advise skipping the trailer plug and putting in Andersons for that circuit.
John61CT
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby yycwrangler » Thu Apr 04, 2019 8:53 am

Thanks John

The battery I was referring to is one of those battery packs with the air compressor built in. I have the 12volts led lights and that's pretty much all it is used for. When we do take off for the day we do sometime take the power pack and use it with our mini blender for smoothies etc.

The power pack can be charged via 12 or 120 volt. So based on that do your recommendations still stand regarding this "Anderson unit"

Cheers
Al
yycwrangler
Teardrop Master

Postby flboy » Thu Apr 04, 2019 10:48 am

yycwrangler wrote:Thanks John

The battery I was referring to is one of those battery packs with the air compressor built in. I have the 12volts led lights and that's pretty much all it is used for. When we do take off for the day we do sometime take the power pack and use it with our mini blender for smoothies etc.

The power pack can be charged via 12 or 120 volt. So based on that do your recommendations still stand regarding this "Anderson unit"

Cheers
Al
Al, if that is all the battery pack is, you mosy likely can just plug into your cig lighter up front and avoid the rest. The cig lighter is fused appropriately for the wire they use. You will know straight away if you exceed that. If I am not mistaken, most of those type packs are intended to have the 12v cig lighter charge option?

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk
Don (Flboy)

YouTube Video of Finished 6x12 Trailer:
https://youtu.be/6_-8cVdWUIA
YouTube Video of 7*18 with 2ft V-nose Trailer:
https://youtu.be/MUcMM86LA2g
flboy
Gold Donating Member

Postby yycwrangler » Thu Apr 04, 2019 11:06 am

Hi Don

That's what I have done in the past but I'd like to leave it in trailer whenever possible. So if I could put a 12 volt plug in the trailer line and just do the same - plug the battery unit in there to charge the battery pack I'd be in good shape
yycwrangler
Teardrop Master

Postby John61CT » Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:06 pm

If that's an old school lead battery at low Ah inside, yes not capable of drawing a high current, probably about the same as running a compressor fridge, say 5-6A tops.

I hate ciggie ports so much, I still say get Anderson plug connections, really should be the standard for reliability.

Do not skimp on wire gauge, keep voltage drop over the distance to a minimum, but a DCDC charger would be overkill compared to just walking the powerpack up to the front to charge.
John61CT
1000 Club
1000 Club

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions