Flat roof water ponding

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Flat roof water ponding

Postby travist » Mon Apr 08, 2019 7:54 am

So we had some good rain where we are and my 7x18 ez hauler project is going very well. I found no sign of leaks despite several days of rain.

However I did notice some water ponding by the edge of the roof on the slight dips between studs the roof has.

Should I be concerned about this?

If so, what can I do? My first thought would be to use the ceiling insulation to flatten out the dips by shimming it up a touch further.

Next thought would be to add some angle aluminum to the roof studs to do a similar job.

Thoughts?

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
travist
Teardrop Advisor

Re: Flat roof water ponding

Postby dirtsailor2003 » Mon Apr 08, 2019 1:55 pm

travist wrote:So we had some good rain where we are and my 7x18 ez hauler project is going very well. I found no sign of leaks despite several days of rain.

However I did notice some water ponding by the edge of the roof on the slight dips between studs the roof has.

If so, what can I do? My first thought would be to use the ceiling insulation to flatten out the dips by shimming it up a touch further.

Next thought would be to add some angle aluminum to the roof studs to do a similar job.

Thoughts?

I have the same issue and it hasn't leaked. Even were I've poked holes through the top. Had 40" of snow on top and that didn't create any issues either. As long as the sealant is good you shouldn't have any issues.

By the time it quite snowing in that photo there was double that on top!!!
dirtsailor2003
The 300 Club

Postby hankaye » Mon Apr 08, 2019 4:26 pm

travist, Howdy;

travist wrote:So we had some good rain where we are and my 7x18 ez hauler project is going very well. I found no sign of leaks despite several days of rain.

Thoughts?

Best way to eliminate ponding is to tilt the trailer when parked. Maybe a bit more when at home and the head end
of the bed up when camping. Nothing worse then sleeping in a head down orientation.

hank
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949 ...
Every day I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've stayed alive.
hankaye
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby travist » Mon Apr 08, 2019 5:07 pm

Thanks both of you. Sounds like it isn't a huge concern and maybe just bake it less level for storage.

travist
Teardrop Advisor

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions