towing Vehicle van promaster =ford transit

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

towing Vehicle van promaster =ford transit

Postby jwhite » Sat May 04, 2019 8:06 pm

I just wondered if anyone has any personal experience with either of these vans promaster or ford transit van gas engines ? and pulling a trailer ?
I started out on a trip this week and had truck issues and turned around and was relieved to get home, turns out it was a skip in one of the cylinders I had it fixed before and hope to fix it for good but if it remains a problem I may make a change.
I have been thinking about either a promaster or ford transit high top van as a new tow vehicle, I have watched quite a few convertions and I like the idea of having the best of both but wonder if it has the tow ability to pull the cargo trailer I have now?
I have considered a motorhome and almost bought one but I like the idea of building one from scratch like the cargo trailer.
I haven't done much research on the towing of either but it seams these 2 are the choice of van builders and van dwellers, looking at used ones there are a lot more promaster hightops available but more low roof ford transits that won't work I need to stand up.
I can do away with the cargo trailer and use a open back trailer to haul my golf cart if need be.
jwhite
The 300 Club

Re: towing Vehicle van promaster =ford transit

Postby NO David! » Sat May 04, 2019 9:23 pm

It's been awhile since I did my homework on these, so I can't quote the numbers right now, but when the new Ford Transit came out, I was pleased to see it had decent tow capacity if you chose the right configuration. I also recall for some reason at the time the Ram Promaster wasn't quite up to snuff in comparison. I don't have personal experience with either one, but I was considering what I would replace my E-150 Chateau van with in the future, and the full size Transit, 3.5L Ecoboost would have been the choice. In addition the Ford Transit itself has been built and sold around the world for years before replacing the E-series vans here. You are right, the hi-tops would be hard to find in the used market. I'm generally a Ram fan, but not for the Promaster.

If you really need hi-top in the tow rig, don't overlook the Nissan NV (full sized) high top. You can get the V8, and of course they run on the Titan chassis, so it's a proven setup. I also looked into converting a van body, but the cargo trailer made so much more sense, and it gave me more choices on tow rigs.
Example:
https://www.hennessy-mazda.com/commercial-used/Nissan/2013-Nissan-NV2500+HD-955539ef0a0e0a6b71252daaa1299ddd.htm
NO David!
Teardrop Master

Postby Philip » Sun May 05, 2019 7:42 am

Nephew works for a ulitily company. They have the Nissan's and promasters. Both seem to have good track records. No outstanding issues. If you work on your own vehicles. The Nissan is better in that reguard. The promasters are very tight quarters under the hoods and under body also.

Can't tell you anything about the transit's. I won't own or drive fords.

I have been doing research on vans for a little while. Looking to do a camper conversion soon. I my case I haven't look at tow ratings. I don't plan on towing anything.
Philip
Silver Donating Member

Postby redbicycle » Sun May 05, 2019 11:34 am

If I remember correctly the promaster is FWD. If I intended to use it for a TV a larger percentage of the time I would only look for RWD.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
redbicycle
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Iconfabul8 » Mon May 06, 2019 2:36 am

I've been running and hauling with a 3.5L Ecoboost since 2011. I have 200K miles on it with zero problems. The pulling power of these engines is absolutely phenomenal. It's mind boggling that a small engine can perform like these do. Most people don't believe it until they drive or more importantly haul with one. Well, there you have it, that's my 2 cents.
Iconfabul8
500 Club

Postby NO David! » Mon May 06, 2019 6:21 am

You mentioned a motorhome. Here is one of my favorites in a class C. All aluminum coach body, riveted panels just like an aircraft. Big windows, built on an E-450 chassis, 6.8L V10 (this ad mentions a diesel, but I really doubt it). 5,950LB tow capacity, 20K GCVWR. Very good quality, V10 has great reliability, Lazy Daze has a very loyal following, custom, hand crafted, made in California to order, so we don't often see them in our neck of the woods. I think they are often overlooked because the graphics are dated, but they are all painted. This construction is a big deal...copy/paste from their website on the roof:
As you might expect, the roof covering on our coach is rugged, sun and tear resistant, one-piece painted aluminum - not rubber.
https://www.rvtrader.com/listing/2006-Lazy-Daze-Mid-Bath-27-5006913623
http://www.lazydaze.com/index2.htm
It would pull your existing trailer, or any open trailer for the golf cart too. While you're at it, if you are at a sporting clays event without facilities, the onboard Onan 4KW generator should handle the A/C unit I would guess. ("Just like downtown, only the buildings are quite so tall...") 8)

Here's a walk through of a similar 2003 so you can see how they look:
https://youtu.be/0rAZw28RWzw

Edit: Ok, getting way off the rails here, but look what popped up for sale in N.C. A Bigfoot 29RQ motorhome. Built in British Columbia, excellent quality, amazingly well insulated, (perfect for South Georgia Summers). V10, low miles for an '01. Golf cart on small open trailer, and presto.
https://charlotte.craigslist.org/rvs/d/stony-point-bigfoot-29rq-class/6882907672.html

Bigfoot story and specs:
https://www.bigfootrv.com/docs/brochures/2000%20Brochure.pdf
NO David!
Teardrop Master

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions