Crazy Idea?

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Crazy Idea?

Postby Karebru » Thu May 30, 2019 4:49 pm

Maybe it's been done?
My ramp-door trailer is under a carport, but the ramp sticks out from under when it's down.
If I'm out working on it and it starts raining, I'll grab the ramp spring and turn it to slowly raise the door like a drawbridge.
It takes very little force to do this.

What about putting a sprocket on one end of the shaft and rigging up a small electric motor with a chain to power it?
I think with the proper gearing it might work.

I plan to enclose the door mechanism with a removable cover, but it would be nice to be able to raise it from inside.

Maybe a hand crank?

Hmmm... :scratchthinking:
Thoughts?
I'm not going outside until the temperature is above my age.
Karebru
The 300 Club

Re: Crazy Idea?

Postby hankaye » Thu May 30, 2019 5:41 pm

Karebru, Howdy;

If there is a Garage Door specialty Co. near you I'd go and pick their brains a bit.
They may even have the right item just sittin' there on the shelf waitin' for ya to
show up. Never know till ya ask ...

hank
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949 ...
Every day I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've stayed alive.
hankaye
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby flboy » Fri May 31, 2019 1:49 pm

I saw a video where a handicapped gentleman just used a rope and a pulley to close the door. Can be as simple as that or just pay attention to the weather and close before it starts to get bad. ;-)

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk
Don (Flboy)

YouTube Video of Finished 6x12 Trailer:
https://youtu.be/6_-8cVdWUIA
YouTube Video of 7*18 with 2ft V-nose Trailer:
https://youtu.be/MUcMM86LA2g
flboy
Gold Donating Member

Postby McDave » Fri May 31, 2019 2:34 pm

If the ramp was covered with a waterproof rubber mat such as https://www.homedepot.com/p/HDX-7-5-ft- ... /205442047 , then you could just leave it down as long as splashing wasn't a problem. Or, you could increase the tension so you would have to weight or tie down ramp, or place a vise grip on the cable to keep it down. Or a small 12v motor and a pulley on the spring shaft. Like you said, it is not hard to turn the shaft.

McDave
McDave
Donating Member

Postby Karebru » Fri May 31, 2019 3:49 pm

flboy wrote:I saw a video where a handicapped gentleman just used a rope and a pulley to close the door. Can be as simple as that or just pay attention to the weather and close before it starts to get bad. ;-)

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

I like a K.I.S.S. solution. A rope would be that. Hanging in the corner... Sounds kinda cool, actually.
But, Don... You ought to know how the Florida rains can sneak up on you. Even if you are paying attention. :R

My ramp will be covered with PVC flooring, but I'd rather keep things dry when I can. Rust, etc.

The roll-up doors on our metal shop building have a chain that's in a loop. Rope or chain, you'd probably want a loop for control so that the ramp would slam shut once it starts coming up. :thinking:

I don't NEED this, but there's a lot of things I don't NEED. ;)
Karebru
The 300 Club

Postby flboy » Fri May 31, 2019 6:06 pm

Karebru wrote:But, Don... You ought to know how the Florida rains can sneak up on you. Even if you are paying attention. :R

I do! Oh, I do! Figured you get the humor in that! :lol: :lol:

Best of luck!
Don (Flboy)

YouTube Video of Finished 6x12 Trailer:
https://youtu.be/6_-8cVdWUIA
YouTube Video of 7*18 with 2ft V-nose Trailer:
https://youtu.be/MUcMM86LA2g
flboy
Gold Donating Member

Postby McDave » Sat Jun 01, 2019 12:26 am

How about a rope secured to the shaft that wound up as the ramp lowered, reverse of the cable. Then when you pulled the rope it would wind in the cable as the rope un wound? As one goes up the other goes down... you may need a drum or pulley on the shaft.

McDave
McDave
Donating Member

Postby beachguy005 » Sat Jun 01, 2019 5:17 am

I would consider just rigging a boat trailer hand winch. Look at etrailer.com. They have a lot of options. Open or inclosed, cable, rope or strap.
beachguy005
Teardrop Master

Postby Karebru » Sun Jun 02, 2019 8:40 pm

McDave wrote:How about a rope secured to the shaft that wound up as the ramp lowered, reverse of the cable. Then when you pulled the rope it would wind in the cable as the rope un wound? As one goes up the other goes down... you may need a drum or pulley on the shaft.

McDave

My ramp, and I imagine most of them , wants to slam shut once it's about two thirds up.
I think you're on to the simplest solution, but it might require the other end of the rope wound the other direction to use as a brake to control the tension.
(The loop again.)
I'm thinking that without it, it might throw the rope off the drum like a free spooling fishing reel.

Of course, you could reach out with your hand against the ramp to slow it down, but I'm planning on having a bug screen divider just inside the back door.
Karebru
The 300 Club

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions