New Cargo Conversion Build

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Re: New Cargo Conversion Build

Postby XR-duous » Mon Oct 14, 2019 1:30 pm

Margali wrote:
XR-duous wrote:This was our fully loaded maiden voyage. Everything went great...even in the torrential downpour we got saturday night! Still dont have stabilizer Jack's, but will definitely be going for 4 of those babies in the coming days.
Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Until you get the nice stabilizer jacks the basic 4 for $35 camco manual jacks from Walmart help a lot. As long as you are 9- ~15 extended they are sturdy. I use wood blocking under vs extending the screw out the full 17". And you can use them under ramp door to turn it into a deck as well.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Or-Support-P ... s/14504363
Yes, I have seen those. Decent price too. My only concern is one more thing to store and take up space, but I like the deck idea.

XR-duous
Teardrop Advisor

Postby McDave » Mon Oct 14, 2019 4:51 pm

Hey XR,
I have been using the screw-jacks for years and they work well because you have more options where to place them and a large range of adjustment. I have always intended to get the permanent mount type, when I get a round tuit. Also want permanent stairs but so far... So now I have a milk crate that I attached a hinged lid to and added some diamond vinyl flooring, and I store the jacks in there. The screws can just pull out and the bases will stack together so not much space needed. Kinda solves a couple issues in one box and you don't run over the stairs anymore. I just set it inside the door when in transit. Cheap solution at least temporarily.

McDave
McDave
Donating Member

Postby XR-duous » Mon Oct 14, 2019 7:21 pm

These are about the cheapest I can find on the bolt on kind. I wonder if it's worth the extra cash?

ToughGrade 2500lb 24" RV Scissor Jack For Camper Trailer, 4 Pack w/ Handle https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07929N6W5/re ... PDbWSPPTTW

XR-duous
Teardrop Advisor

Postby McDave » Tue Oct 15, 2019 4:46 pm

Wow, that's seems like a fair price shipped. I paid 25 for four on ebay ( the screw stand type) that was 5-6 yrs ago. But I probably would have done it different if knew better. Hind sight 20/20. Of course you can always use the stands elsewhere as was mentioned before. Think I'll have to put those on my wish list along with some real steps for next spring. I'm not gettin' any younger so safety is a lot more attractive than it used to be.

McDave
McDave
Donating Member

Postby XR-duous » Tue Oct 22, 2019 6:28 am

My latest trailer purchase.Image

XR-duous
Teardrop Advisor

Postby hankaye » Tue Oct 22, 2019 9:25 am

XR-duous, Howdy;

Wise choice. Don't see nor hear of many installing one of those.

Also, with your scissor jacks, get the right sized socket and you
can use a cordless drill to crank'em up & down.

hank
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949 ...
Every day I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've stayed alive.
hankaye
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby flboy » Tue Oct 22, 2019 9:38 am

XR-duous wrote:My latest trailer purchase.Image

Got one hanging in my CTC kitchen area also. Hopefully never needed, but there if I do.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk
Don (Flboy)

YouTube Video of Finished 6x12 Trailer:
https://youtu.be/6_-8cVdWUIA
YouTube Video of 7*18 with 2ft V-nose Trailer:
https://youtu.be/MUcMM86LA2g
flboy
Gold Donating Member

Postby McDave » Tue Oct 22, 2019 4:37 pm

Mounted mine to the inside of the door. I hear a lot of stories of people who have an extinguisher but can't get to it. If you are outside of the trailer when the fire starts, if you can open the door the extinguisher will be right there. If you are inside, you're probably heading for that door anyway so it will be there waiting for you. Chances are the fire will happen where the combustibles and electrics are housed, so for me that means up front. Forward of the door. I don't have trailer brakes yet so I'm not too worried about fire in that area but I do have another extinguisher in the truck, right between the front seats.
Had a scare a few years ago on the way to Sturgis at about 3:00 am in the exact middle of nowhere. It was very Hot and there had been wild fires everywhere for months. Suddenly the cabin of the truck filled with white smoke so heavy I had zero visibility in about 5 seconds, it was just pouring out of the vents in the dash and the floorboards. I managed to get the rig stopped, driving by braille. Pulled the hood latch and grabbed the extinguisher and bailed out onto the highway. When I lifted the hood.... nothing. At all. Not even the smell of smoke. Opened the door and white smoke rolled out. It didn't smell like electrical or oil/fuel or rubber. It smelled just like wildfire. Checked everywhere and could'nt find a source, so aired it out and took off again. Everything seemed fine until I turned on the A/C. Nothing, no air, no fan but I did hear the compressor engage. Strange. When we got to Sturgis the sun was up so I got to diagnosing the fan and when I removed the resistor board for the fan speed control I found the fire. Wasps had built a big ol nest in the duct where the resistor board is mounted. Its OK when you are running on high but when you select a lower speed the resistors get hot burning off voltage. So the nest caught fire and the blower stoked it like crazy and forced it right into the cab. What is really scary is the whole time I was on the side of the road and for another forty or fifty miles, not one vehicle came past me and there was no cell service till I got close to a small town fifty miles away.
Ate breakfast at a bar that day.

McDave
McDave
Donating Member

Postby XR-duous » Wed Oct 23, 2019 1:05 pm

McDave wrote:Mounted mine to the inside of the door. I hear a lot of stories of people who have an extinguisher but can't get to it. If you are outside of the trailer when the fire starts, if you can open the door the extinguisher will be right there. If you are inside, you're probably heading for that door anyway so it will be there waiting for you. Chances are the fire will happen where the combustibles and electrics are housed, so for me that means up front. Forward of the door. I don't have trailer brakes yet so I'm not too worried about fire in that area but I do have another extinguisher in the truck, right between the front seats.
Had a scare a few years ago on the way to Sturgis at about 3:00 am in the exact middle of nowhere. It was very Hot and there had been wild fires everywhere for months. Suddenly the cabin of the truck filled with white smoke so heavy I had zero visibility in about 5 seconds, it was just pouring out of the vents in the dash and the floorboards. I managed to get the rig stopped, driving by braille. Pulled the hood latch and grabbed the extinguisher and bailed out onto the highway. When I lifted the hood.... nothing. At all. Not even the smell of smoke. Opened the door and white smoke rolled out. It didn't smell like electrical or oil/fuel or rubber. It smelled just like wildfire. Checked everywhere and could'nt find a source, so aired it out and took off again. Everything seemed fine until I turned on the A/C. Nothing, no air, no fan but I did hear the compressor engage. Strange. When we got to Sturgis the sun was up so I got to diagnosing the fan and when I removed the resistor board for the fan speed control I found the fire. Wasps had built a big ol nest in the duct where the resistor board is mounted. Its OK when you are running on high but when you select a lower speed the resistors get hot burning off voltage. So the nest caught fire and the blower stoked it like crazy and forced it right into the cab. What is really scary is the whole time I was on the side of the road and for another forty or fifty miles, not one vehicle came past me and there was no cell service till I got close to a small town fifty miles away.
Ate breakfast at a bar that day.

McDave
Holy smokes mcdave....pun intended. That sounds intense.

I was thinking of mounting mine on the wall next to my bed. My thinking was that if anything blocked my exit, I could eliminate it and get people out the door.

Havent purchased the jacks yet, but it's on the list.

XR-duous
Teardrop Advisor

Postby XR-duous » Wed May 06, 2020 2:46 pm

Man, we have been looking forward to getting out, but all of the parks are closed. :thinking: So in the mean time, I decided to finish up a small project. The last two years it has rained like crazy on every trip. We decided that we needed to install a "rain out" alternative. I was originally going to mount the dvd player on the side wall, but the dvd's didn't stay in their tray. So I ended up just making a basic bracket across the top of the tv, as pictured. Now I am wondering about some surround sound. :D
Attachments
20200506_090236.jpg
20200506_090236.jpg (93.9 KiB) Viewed 3843 times
20200506_090159.jpg
20200506_090159.jpg (111.74 KiB) Viewed 3843 times
20200505_173130.jpg
20200505_173130.jpg (149.61 KiB) Viewed 3843 times
XR-duous
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Augie Dog » Sun May 10, 2020 10:57 pm

If you camp at Beaver Lake in Arkansas again before you go check this guy out. He has a youtube channel and is the camp host at one of the cg at Beaver Lake: It's called "I Ride" Tiny House Adventures His name is William Atkins and wife Deb they also have a FB page you can join he has a red Cargo Conversion. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCiRD6K ... -jF32h4Ipw
Augie Dog
Teardrop Builder

Postby XR-duous » Tue May 26, 2020 6:32 am

Augie Dog wrote:If you camp at Beaver Lake in Arkansas again before you go check this guy out. He has a youtube channel and is the camp host at one of the cg at Beaver Lake: It's called "I Ride" Tiny House Adventures His name is William Atkins and wife Deb they also have a FB page you can join he has a red Cargo Conversion. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCiRD6K ... -jF32h4Ipw

Thanks. We definitely want to get back there. Just hasn't worked out as of yet.
XR-duous
Teardrop Advisor

Postby XR-duous » Tue May 26, 2020 7:35 am

I started on the insulation. I decided to go with the reflective with a half inch gap and the foam at a half inch and then the paneling over that, of course. We will see. The little heater did fine on our colder trips last year without the insulation, so I was mostly concerned about the hot sun and summer heat.
Attachments
20200526_081806.jpg
20200526_081806.jpg (114.81 KiB) Viewed 3636 times
XR-duous
Teardrop Advisor

Postby XR-duous » Mon Jul 20, 2020 5:56 am

A little more progress. Most of the panels are up...just have to do the finishing stuff. I got the stabilizer Jack's mounted too.
Attachments
20200718_110526.jpg
20200718_110526.jpg (618.17 KiB) Viewed 3279 times
20200718_110725.jpg
20200718_110725.jpg (601.37 KiB) Viewed 3279 times
20200718_110712.jpg
20200718_110712.jpg (667.05 KiB) Viewed 3279 times
XR-duous
Teardrop Advisor

Postby XR-duous » Mon Jul 20, 2020 5:59 am

I am realizing now that j never got a shot with everything fully up. Maybe next time. I thought it looked pretty nice though. Curious to see how the insulation does.
Attachments
20200718_110558.jpg
20200718_110558.jpg (458.83 KiB) Viewed 3278 times
20200718_110542.jpg
20200718_110542.jpg (418.43 KiB) Viewed 3278 times
XR-duous
Teardrop Advisor

PreviousNext

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions