New Cargo Conversion Build

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Re: New Cargo Conversion Build

Postby kirkupnorth » Sat Jul 27, 2019 12:14 pm

It feels so great to get out camping for the first time, doesn't it?!?

Your campsite is absolutely beautiful, and the new camper looks awesome in its natural environment.

Where were you camping?
kirkupnorth
Teardrop Master

Postby XR-duous » Sat Jul 27, 2019 3:09 pm

Thanks guys! That's Beaver Lake near Eureka Springs Arkansas. We had our own personal beach 20' past the trailer. It was great!

Got one of the led lights installed today and made some more progress on the cabinets and counter area. Image

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
XR-duous
Teardrop Advisor

Postby XR-duous » Sat Jul 27, 2019 4:55 pm

So I've never thought much about battery stuff. I always figured I would just plug it in. But, this trailer came with a simple battery set up for the lights and a winch that was originally in there, so it's now making me think about it. The emergency trailer brake deal runs off of an external battery. I dont know how imperative that is to have though. So other than that, it's just the lights. So, a couple of questions. Is it worth keeping the battery if that's all I'm running? 2, can I run one set of lights with 2 different power sources, ie 12v and 120v? Would you just use a diode? I have low powered led lights, so the battery wouldn't have any trouble pushing them. As you can see, I'm clueless on battery stuff, so forgive me in advance.

XR-duous
Teardrop Advisor

Postby flboy » Sat Jul 27, 2019 5:21 pm

Looks great. Glad you got out there to enjoy. How did the AC work? Looks very similar to the way I installed mine.

I was camping last weekend and we had shore power. I left it on the whole time and it like to freeze me out. About 98deg F with 95% humidity and the inside stayed <75 deg F with 45% humidity ands was cycling off about 50% of the time. Very comfortable. My personal comfort zone is around 75 deg...
Don (Flboy)

YouTube Video of Finished 6x12 Trailer:
https://youtu.be/6_-8cVdWUIA
YouTube Video of 7*18 with 2ft V-nose Trailer:
https://youtu.be/MUcMM86LA2g
flboy
Gold Donating Member

Postby XR-duous » Sat Jul 27, 2019 5:52 pm

I think the unit is working as designed. I dont currently have any Insulation, so it fights in peek sun in the high humidity 90+° temperature range. On our trip it would hover around 79 to 80 and would then come down nicely to 65 at night. This trailer is metal sheeting over 1/2" plywood..and then the inside metal studs, so that design helps it. My biggest problem has been condensation leaks. Every time I get one settled, another crops up. It seems to be overflowing out of the exhaust vent now.

XR-duous
Teardrop Advisor

Postby XR-duous » Sat Jul 27, 2019 6:14 pm

Btw don....I meant to ask...what insulation are you using? Do I recall you saying that you insulated the floor too?

XR-duous
Teardrop Advisor

Postby flboy » Sat Jul 27, 2019 6:44 pm

XR-duous wrote:Btw don....I meant to ask...what insulation are you using? Do I recall you saying that you insulated the floor too?

I am using the 1" GAF brand foam in the walls with 2 layers (2") in the ceiling and 2" foam underneath along with the Henry's white coating on the roof top. Overall, very well insulated so the AC has no issues keeping up with 8,000 BTU. I actually had a 6,000 BTU that did it also... it just stayed on more. Insulation is critical to the AC performance.

Checkout the "Build Process" video in the link on my signature below. At the 1:00 minute mark, I start the insulation process. You can see what I did there.
Don (Flboy)

flboy
Gold Donating Member

Postby XR-duous » Tue Jul 30, 2019 9:59 pm

My latest exploit. I made them reverse lights and cargo lights that run off my trailer battery. I can't believe how bright they are.ImageImageImage

XR-duous
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Iconfabul8 » Wed Jul 31, 2019 12:03 am

Lights look awesome! Do you have a link?
Iconfabul8
500 Club

Postby flboy » Wed Jul 31, 2019 5:54 am

Really nice. Those are bright.

I did the same on my CTC and installed a relay, so when backing up the trailer, my truck's reverse lights trip the relay. The relay is in parallel to manual switch so works either way. It is super nice when backing into a campsite when dark.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk
Don (Flboy)

flboy
Gold Donating Member

Postby XR-duous » Wed Jul 31, 2019 6:52 am

Yeah, I wired these with a diode so I could flip them on from a switch as well as when the truck is in reverse. Here is a link. I figured that would be handy when unloading bikes. https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07217HP ... asin_title

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Hopkins-Vehi ... r/26962037

XR-duous
Teardrop Advisor

Postby McDave » Wed Jul 31, 2019 8:41 am

Those lights are the handiest things ever. Makes backing in at night a whole lot easier, plus it really gets peoples attention in the Walmart parking lots! I tend to arrive at camp sites at night and always seem to have repairs or projects of some sort so light is invaluable.
I noticed the overhanging spoiler or wing over the ramp door on your trailer. I 'm curious if the manufacture intended to eliminate some of the drag (suction) at the ramp door while towing or if it is just a cosmetic or drip edge. My gut says it was to help with drag, I noticed the slanted front wall as well. How does it tow?

McDave
McDave
Donating Member

Postby XR-duous » Wed Jul 31, 2019 9:03 am

McDave wrote:Those lights are the handiest things ever. Makes backing in at night a whole lot easier, plus it really gets peoples attention in the Walmart parking lots! I tend to arrive at camp sites at night and always seem to have repairs or projects of some sort so light is invaluable.
I noticed the overhanging spoiler or wing over the ramp door on your trailer. I 'm curious if the manufacture intended to eliminate some of the drag (suction) at the ramp door while towing or if it is just a cosmetic or drip edge. My gut says it was to help with drag, I noticed the slanted front wall as well. How does it tow?

McDave
Yeah, I always seem to get there at night as well. I'm not sure about the trailer design. I do think it adds a lot aesthetically, but, like you, I think they had more in mind than looks. I was originally looking for a v-nose, because I think that makes more aerodynamic sense (the extra space doesnt hurt) so I was pleased that this one had the front slant. A flat nose is like pulling a brick into the wind, but this seems like it would create less drag. As far as towing, this is the only large trailer I have pulled, so I dont have a point of comparison, but it pulls really well. I got 11mpg my last trip. Normal average (without trailer) is about 15 and if I'm exclusive to the highway I can get 17 to 18 (assuming it's not too hilly). I didnt feel like 11 was too terrible, all things considered. If I'm not mistaken, that's about what I got pulling my flat bed. However, we only had camping gear. This fall it will be loaded with bikes, so we will see how that affects things.

XR-duous
Teardrop Advisor

Postby flboy » Wed Jul 31, 2019 9:13 am

11mpg is good. I struggle to get 9mpg with my F150 and 5.0L V8 which will get 18 or 19mpg on same highway without pulling. It seems to drop 50%, but maybe not so unreasonable given the additional drag and given the trailer weighs about the same as the truck when fully loaded. My CTC is V-nose, but 7.5 ft. tall... Not sure the V does much at all given the truck parts most of the frontal wind load for the trailer except for the part that sticks up. Alot of anecdotal stuff out there on that.. would almost have to do a side by side comparison with all the same except the V.

I just take it and enjoy.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk
Don (Flboy)

flboy
Gold Donating Member

Postby XR-duous » Fri Aug 02, 2019 10:08 pm

I think I finally figured out my condensation leak. A piece of styrofoam got stuck in the drain and it was over flowing out of weird areas. Got the drain unplugged and quite a bit of water blew out of there. I recaulked the side section and will test again tomorrow, but I think I got it.

I also started on my countertop. Birch with red oak stain. I'm considering black cabinets, but we will see.

Got my lights all wired and run. That feels good. I also repaired my table saw (bad switch) so I can start on cabinet doors. It will feel pretty close once those doors are up.

Still on the list:

Windows
Insulation
Vinyl plank for the front floor section
Sink
TV for rain out trips

It's coming along. Image

XR-duous
Teardrop Advisor

PreviousNext

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions