Removable solar panel roof mount

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Re: Removable solar panel roof mount

Postby Rainier70 » Sat Jul 13, 2019 11:33 am

If you don't want to penetrate your roof, then you really only have two choices for mounting systems: some kind of rack that runs from side to side or using 3m tape or glue for your mounts. To use the 3m tape you need enough square inches of footing and tape to counteract the size of the panels with wind load. Either a rack or glued mounts could be used with a panel tilt system such as was shown in the video above.

Another option for your wiring is to go in the side of your roof vent or into a fridge vent if you have one.

If you are concerned about the weight of the snow or ice on the panels breaking them, they are very sturdy. You could contact the manufacturer about snow loads and ice weight. The same with the ct contact the manufacturer and find out what loads they engineered for.

If you are concerned about the overall weight of the snow etc on the roof, then a rack would at least transfer the weight that is on the panels to the sides.

100 watt panels weigh about 20 lbs. A cubic foot of snow weighs about 20lbs. Ice is about .5oz per cubic inch. You should be able to get an idea of loads from that information.

I live in Idaho, and we got a phenomenal snow year this last winter. I had two 100 watt panels mounted down the center of my trailer. We moved the snow off of the trailer at least 3 times that I remember. It ranged in depth from about 10 inches to a foot and a half. With two of those storms we got freezing rain that put about an inch or so of ice on the panels with snow on top. The snow we removed with the use of a plastic snow shovels and a shop push broom. We did that from step ladders on the sides. We didn't get up on the roof. The ice layer we just left on. Once the ice was exposed to the sun, it melted quickly. Our CT has a rounded roof with 2inch box ribs, but the metal in between the ribs is too thin to walk on unless you use boards to spread your weight across the ribs. Neither the brooms or the shovels damaged anything.

I know that every situation and ct is different, but hopefully this helps some.
Rainier70
1000 Club
1000 Club

Re: Removable solar panel roof mount

Postby Vspec » Tue Jul 16, 2019 5:23 am

All constructive advice help!

Last night while discussing updated layout plan (the only constant in life is change), I was pushing on the ribs and could feel them flex. That really pushed me toward the rack solution. The cast/extruded rounded side are much more sturdier. I do have acquaintances that could lend me hand with fabrication, if I want to go that way, it is not terribly complex what I am trying to accomplish.
Vspec
Teardrop Advisor

Previous

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions