Removable solar panel roof mount

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Removable solar panel roof mount

Postby Vspec » Fri Jul 12, 2019 7:35 am

In a perfect example of procrastination and analysis paralysis, instead of figuring out how I am gonna insulate the wall (gonna but much easier to figure out when the walls panelling is off - to my defence), I am trying to figure out a way to roof mount my solar panels is in a removable way.

The CTC spends the entire winter sleeping outside and gets covered in snow, which needs to be removed thus negating any permanent mounting on the roof.

My first idea was to us gutter style bracket like these:
With a gutter foot like:

But the price escalated quickly and I could not find an 84" bar.

The best I could find is this:
https://www.etrailer.com/Enclosed-Trailer-Parts/Rackem/RA-28.html

I would need to trim it as I want it to mount as close as possible to the roof.

Any other solution that I am missing that would not prevent snow from being shovelled off?

I am not against some minor fabrication, but I do not posses a welder nor to do I want to weld stuff for the moment. I also thought of some kind of rail system that I could screw on both sides and could mount additional things to it (like an awning).
Vspec
Teardrop Advisor

Re: Removable solar panel roof mount

Postby hankaye » Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:14 am

Vspec, Howdy;

I'm sure that if you do a search you'll find several ideas to help with the " analysis paralysis ".
I like the term by-the-way. Those are 2 spendy items your looking at to do the job.
My first thought was to create an 'A' frame that would shed the snow or some other temp. type
structure as every time you loosen then re-tighten a fastener you weaken it, would hate to
hear your panels had gone flying on their own. Not a good thing.

hank
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949 ...
Every day I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've stayed alive.
hankaye
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby tony.latham » Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:44 am

The CTC spends the entire winter sleeping outside and gets covered in snow, which needs to be removed thus negating any permanent mounting on the roof.

I get the snow removal issue. But what about mounting them permanently and placing a piece of plywood over the panels to protect them during snow removal? You could probably zip tie the ply in place so they wouldn't get moved.

:thinking:

T
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby Vspec » Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:18 am

We had a pretty bad winter with lots of freezing rain which snow/ice removal a PITA.

I also have a paranoia of having the roof leak, thus I am trying to make no holes whatsoever in the roof. Having a rack mounted to the sides would solve all these issues.

Said rack(s) would only come on/off once a season, I am not against leaving it(them) on permanently as they would minimally affect snow removal. The panels however would need to come off. The panels (2) would bolted to the rack with nylock nuts and such.

Off Topic:
As per the analysis paralysis, I have pretty much over searched the issue, and really until I take the panelling down, I don't now for sure how much thickness I have to play with. If I did not care I would just spray foam but one of the ethos of this build is that pretty much everything has to be removable (the other part is that everything must as light as possible). I have had good results with EPS on the ceiling but right now the plan is "reflectix" with double sided tape and alu tape to seal it. It would leave room to run whatever wiring I need. My goals are to prevent radiant heat to warm up the inside and dampen the vibrations that the skin transmit.
Vspec
Teardrop Advisor

Postby John61CT » Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:53 am

big tarp over the top, 2x4 from the ground give it a center ridgeline, sloping down either side

get out there get the snow off before gets too heavy
John61CT
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Vspec » Fri Jul 12, 2019 12:11 pm

John61CT wrote:big tarp over the top, 2x4 from the ground give it a center ridgeline, sloping down either side

get out there get the snow off before gets too heavy

Tarp will not hold off 1.5inch thick frozen rain. Trailer is parked about 15min away from my house, I try to go clean it up after each storm / once a week.
Vspec
Teardrop Advisor

Postby John61CT » Fri Jul 12, 2019 1:30 pm

Still easier / cheaper to make-shift an A-frame IMO than a quality removable panel frame / mount system.
John61CT
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Rainier70 » Fri Jul 12, 2019 4:24 pm

How many solar panels and how large?
Rainier70
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby tony.latham » Fri Jul 12, 2019 5:32 pm

Take a look at this video at about 1:38.

It's not exactly the solution but it may give you an idea.

I think one of the big problems with removable panels is the issue with the cables. :thinking:

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby hankaye » Fri Jul 12, 2019 6:46 pm

Vspec, Howdy;

What tony.latham was showing in the video would be a great solution. Anchor
your mounting tabs on the roof supports and use a layer of Bytul putty tape in
between the tabs and the roof to ensure weather tightness. Good to go.

hank
Every day I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've stayed alive.
hankaye
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby McDave » Fri Jul 12, 2019 11:10 pm

Is the roof galvanized? If so maybe big magnets for the feet of the rack. If not maybe suction cup devices like you see for attaching things to
tables/ workbenches etc.? Industrial strength hook and loop (Velcro)?
Just brainstorming here...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fy6ST4bjy0s
https://sciencing.com/velcro-6470547.html

McDave
McDave
Donating Member

Postby Vspec » Sat Jul 13, 2019 7:04 am

Panels are 40" x 26" and there are two of em for a total of 200w and they would be placed on either side of the roof vent. That being said, these panel are no-names (Noma brand) and maybe replaced at some point in the future.

Roof is a single uninterrupted sheet of aluminium, I'd like to keep it that way as much as possible.

As per the cable issue, I would have a disconnect-able connecting port somewhere on the roof. Right now I have a very DIY solution with ~25' of 14G cables that does not seem to affect too much what I get from the panel. Yes I am aware this less than idea but this is only temporary /experimenting phase till I commit 100%.

I like the brainstorming and left field ideas, that I why I came here to ask for ideas :thumbsup:
Vspec
Teardrop Advisor

Postby hankaye » Sat Jul 13, 2019 8:49 am

Vspec, Howdy;

You'll still need to break the integrity of the roof to drop your wires to the inside.
Here's a quick search I did to give you a few ideas;
viewtopic.php?f=42&t=65498&start=2175
You can also search for installing the panels, just use that Google Custom search
box in the header.

hank
hankaye
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby McDave » Sat Jul 13, 2019 10:30 am

Ok, here is one more from left field. I'll bet you already have a set or two of these.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Pony-Adjust ... /100132368

McDave
McDave
Donating Member

Postby beachguy005 » Sat Jul 13, 2019 10:59 am

Seems I recall seeing someone here use strut for their panels. You can use this to build your roof rack and attach the panels using their mounting brackets bolted to the strut.
you could even leave the panels attached to the cross beams and disconnect the at the 4 uprights using L brackets. You would probably need some help moving the 2 panels mounted to the 2 cross beams. At least it would be quicker than taking the panels off the cross beams separately.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Superstrut- ... /202714280
beachguy005
Teardrop Master

Next

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions