My 6x12 CT Toyhauler Journey

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

My 6x12 CT Toyhauler Journey

Postby Bultaco206 » Sat Jul 20, 2019 8:34 am

I’m a long-time member here. But I do believe this is my first ever post. Over the years I’ve used this place as a resource on many different things. While I am no means an expert, or master craftsman, it’s my intent to hopefully give back. Perhaps someone else is out there lurking like I was. Lord knows I’ve sifted through dozens and dozens of build threads on here over the years. But first, I will explain how I got here.

After many years of owning basic cargo trailers, and a couple of RV-style toyhaulers, I’d learned what I liked, and didn’t like, with each type. So after selling my small KZ Sportsmen unit I was trailerless for a couple of years while I researched what direction I wanted to go...taking the things I’d learned along the way that I wanted to have. So armed with my list of requirements I settled on an aluminum R&R Force in a 6x12 flavor. I gave them my list of options I wanted and within about 6 weeks I made the 6-hour trek to MI to pickup this beauty at the factory.

First thing I needed to do was prime & paint the interior.

Next up was to begin on the interior. I’d had a basic design in mind from reading various threads on here. However, my 82 year-old dad is a hobbyist woodworker and wanted to do the interior. Plus, he has better tools than I do as mine are all skewed to the mechanical side rather than the wood side. So armed with my brand-new porta-potty, dorm fridge, and aluminum bar sink...all needed so they could be implemented...I dropped the trailer at his place for 2 weeks while he played Norm from This Old House.

I’m not thrilled with the upper cabinets on the nose. I’d drawn out something completely different. But he argued why that wouldn’t work. He’s 82. I went with his advice. LOL

So upon bringing the trailer home then it was my turn to take it to the next step. That involved cutting a hunk of floating vinyl for the floor.

Making sure my Goal Zero fit where it needed to.

Getting my “plumbing” system in place.

Making sure the A/C fit properly.

Getting my motorcycle chocks and tie downs mounted.

And a screen for the rear. (I’d hauled a kayak for a friend that was awaiting pickup.)

And with that I’m at the point where the trailer can be used. I have a 7-day outing planned in it early next month. Only thing left to do is to add a small flat screen TV, along with an antenna and cable inlet. That will most likely be done later this summer or fall.

I’d like to say thank you to this community for the inspiration, the expertise, and for allowing me to lurk on this site for many years. It’s been a great resource.
Last edited by Bultaco206 on Sun Jul 21, 2019 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bultaco206
Teardrop Inspector

Re: My 6x12 CT Journey

Postby Rainier70 » Sat Jul 20, 2019 9:34 am

:applause: Very nice. You are going to enjoy your camper! :thumbsup:
Rainier70
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby hankaye » Sat Jul 20, 2019 10:32 am

Bultaco206, Howdy;

WOW!!! That's first post and a half there!

Apparently you've studied long and hard here, you also realized that
"Old folks know stuff".
Well done.

hank
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949 ...
Every day I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've stayed alive.
hankaye
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Padilen » Sat Jul 20, 2019 12:42 pm

, I've seen these pics somewhere before.

I'm happy with my new location for my 19" TV. I know many prefer bigger TV's but I'm good with this one.
I didn't want another hole so my antenna wire comes in through the sidewalk vent.
I must have missed the rear ramp screen. I thought it was just on the wish list. So was it custom ?Image

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk
Padilen
Donating Member

Postby Bultaco206 » Sat Jul 20, 2019 12:57 pm

Padilen wrote:, I've seen these pics somewhere before.

I must have missed the rear ramp screen. I thought it was just on the wish list. So was it custom ?

Hush you! :lol:

Yes, custom work by a guy over southeast of you in MI.

https://www.garagedoorscreens.com/

He did some for a trailer I had several years ago. Good work and very reasonable. And I need to see a pic of your antenna. I need to do the same.
Bultaco206
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Padilen » Sat Jul 20, 2019 1:35 pm

Oh! my antenna it self is homemade from wire and PVC pipe. I meant i stuck the coaxial cable through the vent. Sorry for the confusion.
But Don probably can tell you what's best to use. I think he may be camping right now but he usually drops in.

"Don"-https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?url=http%3A%2F%2Ftnttt%2Ecom%2Fviewtopic%2Ephp%3Ft%3D65498&share_tid=65498&share_fid=39727&share_type=t

7'*18' V-Nose Cargo Trailer Toy Hauler Conversion
Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk
Padilen
Donating Member

Postby kirkupnorth » Sun Jul 21, 2019 6:29 am

Hey, Bultaco-

Welcome. That's a nice looking trailer you've got there! You're really making some fast progress, too.

We're very interested in how you did the screen on your cargo door. We've been wanting something similar, but so far we can't quite figure out how to make it work. How does it function when you're loading/unloading your bikes? What about where the cargo door cables come through? I'd love to see a couple of close-up photos, if you've got them.

Keep up the great work -- have fun with it!
kirkupnorth
Teardrop Master

Postby Bultaco206 » Sun Jul 21, 2019 7:10 am

kirkupnorth wrote:Hey, Bultaco-

Welcome. That's a nice looking trailer you've got there! You're really making some fast progress, too.

We're very interested in how you did the screen on your cargo door. We've been wanting something similar, but so far we can't quite figure out how to make it work. How does it function when you're loading/unloading your bikes? What about where the cargo door cables come through? I'd love to see a couple of close-up photos, if you've got them.

Keep up the great work -- have fun with it!

Screen is from here...
https://www.garagedoorscreens.com/

When you order the screen you’ll need to supply exact measurements of the opening, as well as how far down and over the cable extends. As you can see the screen has a section to allow for the cable.

It doesn’t interfere with the bikes because it’s not permanent. It’s designed to be installed only when it’s needed and stores in its own bag when not in use. Heavy-duty Velcro is included. I applied it to the inside of the opening, let it cure 24 hours, and did a test fit of the screen. It takes 30 seconds to install it at a campsite.
Bultaco206
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Grummy » Sun Jul 21, 2019 7:51 am

That is a great looking trailer you have there, and good job getting it where you wanted interior wise.

I always really liked the R&R trailers as they clearly take "looks" into their design. They always have the right look built on top of what always appeared to be a really good frame. If I recall, back when I was studying, I thought they may have been made by Legend Trailers. I could not go that route because after I drew up my driveway approach in CAD, I could not get away with any trailer with the tongue beam under the frame.

Did you "water check" that trailer real good ? Mine has the same exterior aluminum attachment and I found that if I had it parked with the tongue end lower than the rear, water coming forward off the roof and running along the sides crept right into the open back of the "screw-less" seams, then ran down the interior cavities behind the wood interior walls.

Even though I had completely gutted my interior, the only decent way to seal those seams was to use a super high end clear urethane caulk, and fill the small gap from top to bottom.

Have fun with it !
Grummy
Teardrop Master

Postby Bultaco206 » Sun Jul 21, 2019 8:01 am

Grummy wrote:That is a great looking trailer you have there, and good job getting it where you wanted interior wise.

I always really liked the R&R trailers as they clearly take "looks" into their design. They always have the right look built on top of what always appeared to be a really good frame. If I recall, back when I was studying, I thought they may have been made by Legend Trailers. I could not go that route because after I drew up my driveway approach in CAD, I could not get away with any trailer with the tongue beam under the frame.

Did you "water check" that trailer real good ? Mine has the same exterior aluminum attachment and I found that if I had it parked with the tongue end lower than the rear, water coming forward off the roof and running along the sides crept right into the open back of the "screw-less" seams, then ran down the interior cavities behind the wood interior walls.

Even though I had completely gutted my interior, the only decent way to seal those seams was to use a super high end clear urethane caulk, and fill the small gap from top to bottom.

Have fun with it !

R&R has their own factory, and manufactures their own stuff. I toured it when I picked mine up. I was pretty impressed with the process. The welds on mine are top-notch. And I’ve done a water test at the car wash, pulled it in a couple of nasty rains, and mine sits outside when not in use. I’ve yet to find a leak.
Bultaco206
Teardrop Inspector

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions