Water line options

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Water line options

Postby Carolina_coast99 » Thu Jul 25, 2019 3:48 pm

I'm planning to possibly use "Nylobrade" hose for my fresh water runs as opposed to PEX (both hot and cold). I'm hoping the flexibility of the Nylobrade will withstand constant jarring while traveling down the road. I will use "Oetiker" crimps at connections.
Does anyone have an opinion to not use this setup, or a better idea...?

Like these:
http://www.newageindustries.com/NSF-clear-pvc-hose.asp

https://www.grainger.com/product/3DUP6? ... gIAI_D_BwE
Carolina_coast99
Teardrop Advisor

Re: Water line options

Postby Shadow Catcher » Thu Jul 25, 2019 5:26 pm

My personal feeling is that Pex is sufficiently flexible and we have had no problems in 10 years. Nylobrade does have an upper temperature range and I have used it at the temperature put out by our water heater.
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Postby flboy » Thu Jul 25, 2019 5:45 pm

I used Pex and it seems to be holding up well. Installation could not have been easier. I bought the crimp tool and it works great.I cannot speak for the Nylon Braided type.
Don (Flboy)

YouTube Video of Finished 6x12 Trailer:
https://youtu.be/6_-8cVdWUIA
YouTube Video of 7*18 with 2ft V-nose Trailer:
https://youtu.be/MUcMM86LA2g
flboy
Gold Donating Member

Postby Karebru » Mon Jul 29, 2019 6:24 pm

My camper hasn't hit the road yet. I recently finished my plumbing. (No hot water.)
I did use a little Nylobrade but most of it is schedule 40 PVC. Probably a mistake. :roll:
I thought about bumpy roads about halfway through doing it... While on my back, under the trailer, with PVC cement running down my arm. :thinking:
At this point, I'm going to strap it all up really well, give it good support and hope for the best.
I can alway replace it with something else if it fails.

My trailer project has been parked for so long that I guess I forgot that it wasn't going to be stationary! ;)
I'm not going outside until the temperature is above my age.
Karebru
The 300 Club

Postby ZColorado » Tue Jul 30, 2019 8:50 am

Rv's use PEX, not sure I see a reason not to use it.

If you make some horrible decisions about joints I could see some leaking but as long as they are supported somewhat it should be fine.

Am I missing something?
ZColorado
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Pinstriper » Tue Jul 30, 2019 10:18 am

Pex with sharkbite fittings would be my choice.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Let's eat, Grandma !
Let's eat Grandma !
Commas. They save lives.
Pinstriper
Teardrop Master

Postby McDave » Tue Jul 30, 2019 12:01 pm

I used braided. I already had it from other projects. It can handle the heat and pressure no problem. I just used screw type clamps. No problems so far. I did have a plastic tee that leaked from the gitgo, replaced it OK since. 4yrs now.

McDave
McDave
Donating Member

Postby Iconfabul8 » Tue Jul 30, 2019 2:49 pm

Pex is great, but you aren't supposed to use it on the water pump. They recommend the braided stuff because it is less stiff and easier on the plastic fittings. Sharkbites are expensive and scary to me. Bite the bullet and buy a stainless ring crimper. Mine has come in handy quite a few times.
Iconfabul8
500 Club

Postby Pinstriper » Tue Jul 30, 2019 4:23 pm

Iconfabul8 wrote:Pex is great, but you aren't supposed to use it on the water pump. They recommend the braided stuff because it is less stiff and easier on the plastic fittings. Sharkbites are expensive and scary to me. Bite the bullet and buy a stainless ring crimper. Mine has come in handy quite a few times.

I have three bathroom remodels under my belt with sharkbites, they work great.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Let's eat, Grandma !
Let's eat Grandma !
Commas. They save lives.
Pinstriper
Teardrop Master

Postby working on it » Tue Jul 30, 2019 6:28 pm

Pinstriper wrote:
Iconfabul8 wrote:Pex is great, but you aren't supposed to use it on the water pump. They recommend the braided stuff because it is less stiff and easier on the plastic fittings. Sharkbites are expensive and scary to me. Bite the bullet and buy a stainless ring crimper. Mine has come in handy quite a few times.

I have three bathroom remodels under my belt with sharkbites, they work great.

* I love Pex, and Sharkbite fittings. I've used both for many repair jobs on mine and in-laws' houses, with never a problem occurring. Now, ask me my opinion of crimped fittings (most especially the aluminum ones). Even the stainless ones can fail if not done right. I will never trust one again, after having a "professional" botch the crimped plumbing once. And, you can use the " 'ol reach-around" (to quote Eric from SMA, on YouTube) method to install Sharkbite fittings, in places hard to reach or see, whereas a crimper has to be in perfect position, IMO.
2013 HHRv "squareback/squaredrop", rugged, 4x8 TTT, 2225 lbs
  • *3500 lb Dexter EZ-Lube braked axle, 3000 lb.springs, active-progressive bumpstop suspension
  • *27 x 8.5-14LT AT tires (x 3) *Weight Distribution system for single-beam tongue
  • *100% LED's & GFCI outlets, 3x fans, AM/FM/CD/Aux. *A/C & heat, Optima AGM, inverter & charger(s)
  • *extended-run, on-board, 2500w generator *Coleman dual-fuel stove & lantern, Ikea grill, vintage skillet
  • *zinc/stainless front & side racks *98"L x 6" diameter rod & reel carrier tube on roof
working on it
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Carolina_coast99 » Sun Aug 04, 2019 7:50 am

Thanks to everyone, I appreciate the opinions!
Carolina_coast99
Teardrop Advisor

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions