Noob Conversion Project Planning

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Noob Conversion Project Planning

Postby brianjonesphoto » Thu Oct 03, 2019 12:55 pm

Hello All
I've been browsing the forum for a couple weeks looking at builds and common questions. Here are some specific questions I haven't found answers to.

I in the early planning stages of a CTC. I've been a die hard tent camper my entire life, but I seem to be softening as I'm half way through my 40th lap around the sun. Family of 4, kids will be 4 and 7 by the time spring rolls around. I've done several camping trips this summer some for the simple joy of camping but most involve dirt bikes. There are a few families that we ride with that have various solutions for hauling/camping. Some are van campers some have an unconverted cargo trailer, and some have toy haulers.

Being cheap and minimalist I've ruled out a toy hauler as they are too nice and way too expensive. I also hate vans, I'm much more of a truck kind of guy. I hate having my crap in the same space as myself while driving down the road.

This year we have had a few wet camping experiences. Not miserable constant rain, but enough to make setup a PITA or having to fill the basement with hanging tent pieces to let things dry out. I can't put into words how "easy" it isn't to build or strike camp with 2 young kids wanting to "help".

I've watched out friends with the unconverted trailer roll in and have to unpack pretty much the whole trailer to then set up bunk bed cots and reorganize to settling in to camp mode.

I'm after a balanced compromise of all 3.

I think a well thought out but minimal cargo conversion could be the ticket, but where to start? I've spent a few hours in Sketchup figuring out what I could do with the given space. There are a few things I know I don't want:
gray and black tanks
plumbing
kitchen space inside
a ramp door where I need an extra 7 feet behind to open the door
too big of a trailer.

I also know what I do want:
Sleeping space for 4
Elevotor bed at rear door
my bed to be 80" long
ability to stand up comfortably at 6'6"
space 4 dirt bikes or sidecar rig
Windows
Powered vent fans
RV door with Screen
Insulation
cabinets and organization
ability to move around easily as storage parking cannot be backed into directly
V-Nose for extra interior space
Ability to sleep 4 while loaded if needed (pull in late need to get the kids settled and in bed asap)

Here's what I don't know

Single to tandem axle?
I don't have any experience with tandem axles. I know the 7x10 flatbed I currently own needs to be disconnected and pushed by hand to park as the storage spot is 90 degrees to the closet place I can back my truck into. The yellow line is the path I can back up the red box is where I currently store my flatbed. Because of the large hedge and gate I have very little room to maneuver to back the trailer into a 90 degree turn.
TrailerParking.png
TrailerParking.png (259.31 KiB) Viewed 1480 times

What sort of things should be ordered with a trailer vs doing myself?
Insulation
Windows

Spring for a factory installed awning or wait till I decided for sure we want one?

How important is cross member spacing, floor, studs, roof?

How many roof vents for 14' or 16' trailer?

Here's my model so far. It's a work in progress, but helping me wrap my brain around using the space.
Beds down 3-4.png
Beds down 3-4.png (100.68 KiB) Viewed 1476 times

Beds up birdseye.png
Beds up birdseye.png (50.33 KiB) Viewed 1476 times

I'm sure there are many more things I will ask as I learn.

Thank you in advance.
brianjonesphoto
Teardrop Advisor

Re: Noob Conversion Project Planning

Postby hankaye » Thu Oct 03, 2019 8:36 pm

brianjonesphoto, Howdy;

First, Welcome to the fun!!!

Ok, Have you thought about installing a tow hitch reciever (the square open patrt),
to the front of your truck? It would make the parking maneuvers much more simple.
It's done by alot of different places. Due to the steering tires being closer to the
pivot point you won't need so much elbow room. It's done at airports and RV Dealers.
Ever wonder how they pack them in so tight??? That's how.

hank
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949 ...
Every day I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've stayed alive.
hankaye
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby McDave » Thu Oct 03, 2019 10:01 pm

hankaye wrote:brianjonesphoto, Howdy;

First, Welcome to the fun!!!

Ok, Have you thought about installing a tow hitch reciever (the square open patrt),
to the front of your truck? It would make the parking maneuvers much more simple.
It's done by alot of different places. Due to the steering tires being closer to the
pivot point you won't need so much elbow room. It's done at airports and RV Dealers.
Ever wonder how they pack them in so tight??? That's how.

hank

+1 on the front hitch. I used it myself TODAY! Well, I didn't really have a hitch but I used a chain attached to lift cylinder of my plow truck. I just dropped the plow blade and nosed up to the trailer and hooked the safety chains to the lift, raised the plow cylinder and voila! You have way more control and can turn the trailer 90 deg in just a few feet. My spot is directly parallel to the driveway, which has chain link fence and post at each edge of the drive so you have to turn immediately after clearing the post 90 deg and then turn back 90 deg to put the trailer next to the drive. I have a trailer dolly that has a hitch ball and works well for flat beds and light loads, but it has been raining for a week and there is no way I could have managed that alone. And I'm always working alone. Today was a revelation for me, and a godsend.

McDave
McDave
Donating Member

Postby Grummy » Fri Oct 04, 2019 2:31 am

If your going to shoot for sleeping four, haul all four's gear, AND dirt bikes, your definitely looking at tandem axle trailers because you will quickly add up tally-able weight. And yes, the tandem will not just push and roll by hand into place, so the front hitch in your case is important. Also consider your driveway approach levels compared to the length you decide to go with as well as if the trailer has an integrated to frame tongue or under frame hanging tongue.

Many people see this great trailer, buy it, then find out it drags in and out of the environment in which they must store it.

If your dead set on swing doors, great. Everyone must decide what is going to make them happy. Just keep in mind then you have to lift, hoist or carry extra ramps for the bikes.

If your going to have a trailer custom built, get the rear swing doors and have them also put in the rear roll up bar in the back. You can use it to lift and lower your bed by running cable or preferably nylon straps both straight down and forward to the front edge of the bed. Take the spring off the roll up bar and power it with a gear motor to make it go up and down electrically. Don't waste space with rails on the wall, just let the bed settle fully on supports in all four corners or a single horizontal rail on each wall.

Finally, it would seem that you will have a challenge fitting what you have described in a 7' x 14'. Having camped in a 7 x 14 Step van for many years and visualizing your goals, I dont think I could floor plan that in a 7 x 14, So, I'd immediately opt for a 16' long trailer with V-nose. An 8 wide adds a lot of dimension inside... but it can make driving a little bit more burdensome with a plain old pickup width tow vehicle. You can do a 7' wide and sleep crossways just fine.

6' 6" height might be a bit tight if you need to leave the bikes in AND sleep above them, but that is something you need to address in CAD or good drawings BEFORE you commit to a trailer. Have fun though...
Grummy
Teardrop Master

Postby brianjonesphoto » Fri Oct 04, 2019 9:12 am

Grummy wrote:If your going to shoot for sleeping four, haul all four's gear, AND dirt bikes, your definitely looking at tandem axle trailers because you will quickly add up tally-able weight. And yes, the tandem will not just push and roll by hand into place, so the front hitch in your case is important. Also consider your driveway approach levels compared to the length you decide to go with as well as if the trailer has an integrated to frame tongue or under frame hanging tongue.

If your going to have a trailer custom built, get the rear swing doors and have them also put in the rear roll up bar in the back. You can use it to lift and lower your bed by running cable or preferably nylon straps both straight down and forward to the front edge of the bed. Take the spring off the roll up bar and power it with a gear motor to make it go up and down electrically. Don't waste space with rails on the wall, just let the bed settle fully on supports in all four corners or a single horizontal rail on each wall.

Thank you these are 2 things I haven't considered especially the break over angle at the street. That is going to be an issue that needs some addressing before anything moves forward.
brianjonesphoto
Teardrop Advisor

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions