Cell Phone Boosters

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Re: Cell Phone Boosters

Postby flboy » Tue Nov 19, 2019 7:12 am

The SureCall certainly would not work in the car for mobile applications like the Weboost appears to be. It is intented for the home and I have adapted it to the RV.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk
Don (Flboy)

YouTube Video of Finished 6x12 Trailer:
https://youtu.be/6_-8cVdWUIA
YouTube Video of 7*18 with 2ft V-nose Trailer:
https://youtu.be/MUcMM86LA2g
flboy
Gold Donating Member

Postby featherliteCT1 » Tue Nov 19, 2019 9:09 am

Flboy, thanks.

I am in the process of looking at several web sites that explain cell phone boosting in general, as well as specific brands for specific applications. It is like learning a foreign language. In the past, I never paid much attention to electronic devices other than my laptop and cell phone, and then only the minimum necessary to get by.

I just learned that the required minimum separation between the external and internal antennas means distance "as the crow flies" rather than cable length, and that vertical distance is best rather than mere horizontal distance. So a 25 feet minimum antenna separation for the "home" models presents challenges in a mobile environment. If I remember correctly, you have your external antenna mounted high up on a pole mounted outside your trailer that you put up and down when needed at camp site.

In any event, I am having fun learning about this stuff. Happily, I do not need to make a purchase until I head south to Florida for a boon docking trip sometime this winter season. I hope this does not become another "disease" like my trailer, solar charging system and diesel heater. :NC

If I say something in error, I hope somebody will correct the record.
featherliteCT1
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby flboy » Tue Nov 19, 2019 11:42 am

Lol.. yes it is a disease... and I agree it is not coax length that determines antenna separation...unless it is stretched tight in a straight line. Yes.. my separation is only about 15 to 20ft. almost all vertical, but direct path is through a metal ceiling which will impact the reception/interaction ... and that is the intention of the physical separation.... so I am sure that is why it works for me in applying a home use system in my CTC. Most RVs would have a wood covered with rubber roof which would not impact in the same manner and most likey cause issues without prescribed separation.

Good luck with your booster search. It can be real confusing even if you are technically inclined. This stuff just happens to be "right up my alley". I was trained in Electronic Warfare/Intercept Systems Repair in my Army days and have been in an electronic/engineering career since, so it comes relatively easy to me thankfully.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk
Don (Flboy)

YouTube Video of Finished 6x12 Trailer:
https://youtu.be/6_-8cVdWUIA
YouTube Video of 7*18 with 2ft V-nose Trailer:
https://youtu.be/MUcMM86LA2g
flboy
Gold Donating Member

Postby Gonefishin » Wed Nov 20, 2019 5:00 pm

I bought the $500 Weboost to take on a 6-week swing through the northern and central Rockies from September 15-Oct 25. In short, I love it. Anyplace I had any kind of signal I could boost it into a strong talk, text, and internet signal without fail. 1X went to 3g. 3G went to 4G. It was instantly noticable. I won't be on the road without it again! I have the wire from the booster inside to the outside antenna through a tiny hole in the floor, and put a cork stopper in it while driving/towing. The antenna is on a RAM clamp mount that I simply clamp outside the door on the outside latch arm. It extends above the roof. Withstood 50 mph winds when parked. I can hook it up or disconnect in under two minutes.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01GDZLUJ0/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Gonefishin
Donating Member

Postby featherliteCT1 » Thu Nov 21, 2019 9:37 am

Gonefishin,

I see that your Weboost is a "truck" model unit (rather than a "home" unit like Flboy's). Thanks for posting this :thumbsup: because now I have evidence that the truck unit should work for my boon docking needs.

I also see that your Weebost is the $499 multi user model and that there is another $299 Weeboost model for single users.

Here is the link for the single user model. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07DJ ... =UTF8&th=1

Since I travel alone, I am wondering if the single user unit work just as well for me.

I will need to dig a little deeper. :twisted:

Edit: Now I see a Weboost Truck unit for $199 at this link https://www.bestbuy.com/site/compare?sk ... %3D6295170

The bottom of the amazon link shows that the $499 Weeboost and the $299 Weeboost have maximum Max dB Gain of 50dB and 23dB, respectively.

The Best Buy link shows that the $199 Weeboost has maximum of 23dB.
featherliteCT1
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Shadow Catcher » Fri Nov 22, 2019 7:30 am

You can not boost what is not there, and we have encountered that.
On recommendation we bought a Weboost Drive Sleek (less powerful, less chance of feedback) It is hooked up to either an omnidirectional or directional antenna on top of a 10' telescoping painter pole. I have an app that tells me where the cell tower is to aim the directional antenna.

Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Postby jwhite » Sat Nov 23, 2019 1:45 pm

Ok I haven't been paying much attention on the subject so this may be a dumb question but if I get a Verizon hot spot does that do the same thing ? I want to work from the road like I do at home would I need both ?
jwhite
The 300 Club

Postby RJ Howell » Sat Nov 23, 2019 3:14 pm

jwhite wrote:Ok I haven't been paying much attention on the subject so this may be a dumb question but if I get a Verizon hot spot does that do the same thing ? I want to work from the road like I do at home would I need both ?

I'm no longer a fan of Verizon, so take this as you wish.. Both my phones, my tablet and my router will HotSpot with their own limits. I will never bust the limit by my plan. So why pay for another HotSpot... The real kicker here is how much data you deal with and how fast you want it?
That's the real issue! How much? How quick?

In my case, I needed too much, too quick. Pressing matter that I needed attention to.. I still had to drive out to get a better connection.

What you do depends a lot on what you require. Then how you respond to the requirement put before you. For me, there was no booster, HotSpot, anything that could deliver. I drive out to a spot I can and do the deed.

You need to figure out what your demand is and work forward from there. Another HotSpot? Ya.. no.. don't see it in my mind.
RJ Howell
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby beachguy005 » Sat Nov 23, 2019 3:37 pm

jwhite wrote:Ok I haven't been paying much attention on the subject so this may be a dumb question but if I get a Verizon hot spot does that do the same thing ? I want to work from the road like I do at home would I need both ?

I have a Verizon jetpack hotspot and it only works like a cell phone. It doesn't boost a signal.
beachguy005
Teardrop Master

Postby featherliteCT1 » Sat Nov 23, 2019 4:07 pm

I spent quite a bit of time researching SureCall and Weboost brand cell phone signal boosters. After learning how a simple di-pole antenna works, I was able to understand the difference between directional and omni antennas, and then gain and attenuation.

As a result, I am going to buy a Weboost signal booster. Costs $500 for the unit with an omni antenna with a ten feet long cable for the external antenna. Depending on how that works out, I may fabricate some extension cables and/or add a stronger Weboost RV or Trucker (OTR) antenna.

I chose Weboost over SureCall because Weboost has the "reach" model; although the SureCall models have a 60 day no questions asked return policy vs. Weboost 30 days.

I will use and move the unit to and from my truck, trailer and home. This will also work with my Mifi hotspot.

Here is what I am buying.

https://www.weboost.com/products/drive-reach

Weboost Drive Reach.jpg
Weboost Drive Reach.jpg (13.83 KiB) Viewed 6301 times
featherliteCT1
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby bdosborn » Sat Nov 23, 2019 8:41 pm

Post a review after you've used it a bit and let us know how it works. :thumbsup:
Bruce
2009 6.5'X11' TTT - Boxcar
All it takes is a speck of faith and a few kilowatts of sweat and grace.
Boxcar Build
aVANger Build
bdosborn
Donating Member

Postby KTM_Guy » Sun Nov 24, 2019 12:23 am

I have a Verizon Jetpac for work, which I always take camping. Our cell phone plan is with ATT. Between the two we have a better chance of getting a signal. If your phone is with Verizon is see no reason for the Jetpac because you can use your phone to be a hotspot.

Todd
KTM_Guy
500 Club

Postby jwhite » Sun Nov 24, 2019 11:04 am

Someone showed me how to do this along time ago but forgot = can someone walk me through this again how to use my phone as a hotspot.
this is probably all I need to do I won't be boondocking way out in wilderness areas but rather closer to big cities , part of my plans may be to stay 1 or 2 days a week in a cheap hotel or state park to get my work done and catch up on laundry and shopping any way.
jwhite
The 300 Club

Postby featherliteCT1 » Sun Nov 24, 2019 11:31 am

jwhite wrote: can someone walk me through this again how to use my phone as a hotspot. .

If you have an iphone see this link from google. https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q ... GjXHIBlj5V
featherliteCT1
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby jwhite » Sun Nov 24, 2019 11:33 am

I have a Samsung J 7 V
jwhite
The 300 Club

PreviousNext

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions