So this is happening, Mirage 8.5x16x7.5 V-nose build thread

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Re: So this is happening, Mirage 8.5x16x7.5 V-nose build thr

Postby hankaye » Thu May 28, 2020 7:01 pm

brian, Howdy;

CONGRATULATIONS!!!
Appears someone was so elated with it's arrival they jumped outta their flip-flop.
Using the singular as only seein' one. chuckle.

hank
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949 ...
Every day I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've stayed alive.
hankaye
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby flboy » Fri May 29, 2020 8:51 am

Nice looking trailer! I like that color! Looking forward to following your build. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Don (Flboy)

YouTube Video of Finished 6x12 Trailer:
https://youtu.be/6_-8cVdWUIA
YouTube Video of 7*18 with 2ft V-nose Trailer:
https://youtu.be/MUcMM86LA2g
flboy
Gold Donating Member

Postby brianjonesphoto » Fri May 29, 2020 9:35 am

flboy wrote:Nice looking trailer! I like that color! Looking forward to following your build. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I figured you would :lol: I wanted white for heat, but couldn't bring myself to have an all white trailer. The 2-tone was part of the SxS package that got me some extra height and other goodies.
brianjonesphoto
Teardrop Advisor

Postby McDave » Sat May 30, 2020 9:50 am

Nice Trailer! You are on your way now. Good luck!

McDave
McDave
Donating Member

Postby brianjonesphoto » Thu Jun 04, 2020 2:35 pm

Well I've had the trailer a week now and it's been slow going. I've had a major case of scope creep set in. Not so much with the build but the parking arrangement. I was hoping I would be able to park the trailer is it's spot with a hitch on the front of my truck, but the existing gate it too narrow, the hedge is too big and my truck is too long to allow for the maneuverability I need to make the needed 90 degree turn. We managed to thread the needle to get it in the back yard once I installed a backup camera on the trailer (the down hill grade makes is nearly impossible to see the 8" clearance on either side of the gate from my mirrors). The fence needs rebuilding anyway but now the gate might get dealt with sooner than planned. It's 10' wide now I think I'm going to bump it up to 13' wide for maneuverability. The hedge might go altogether it's a PITA to deal with. It grows 18" every spring and I can barely keep up.

I was trying to avoid the cost of a trailer power dolly but sadly I think it's the most affordable options vs hitting something with the truck or trailer. That adds 25% to the cost of the trailer itself before any sort of build it started. Still much cheaper that the other yard work we were considering ($25k for a larger retaining wall).

This is about as much progress I've made. I've laid out everything with painters tape. I hope to place the cabinets today to make see how much work it's going to be to make things fit.

Hopefully I'll get to pull the plywood soon. I'm nursing some bruised ribs from a mountain bike fall yesterday so it might be a week before I can get to that.
brianjonesphoto
Teardrop Advisor

Postby McDave » Thu Jun 04, 2020 5:20 pm

Some famous guy once said "We must endeavor to persevere".... He probably had days like these. I have had decades like this. Nothing (worth having) comes easy. So ya just gotta buck up and soldier on. But every now and then something will go as planned, and it is so sweet!
Ok, so lets see... a power dolly does not sound very sexy to me. Maybe you could find a used ATV? It could do the dolly duty and be fun/useful in other ways?
I have a non power dolly and can move the trailer on level pavement solo. But going up a hill or even a driveway threshold is tough. The hitch in the front of the truck worked really well for me. A bit of a learning curve but I got er' done. What about a landing gear wheel on the tongue? Could that be any help?
Just brainstorming here..

McDave
McDave
Donating Member

Postby hankaye » Thu Jun 04, 2020 10:04 pm

brian, Howdy;

Highly recommend the hitch in the front of tow vehicle. We used to move aircraft
in the hangers like that and there ya are like sittin' in the movie show able to watch
everything. Swap the hitch to the rear of the tow vehicle to pull it out. E-Z, P-Z.
Getting a front hitch installed would be inexpensive compared to the power dolly.
Plus it's there if you need it when camping or for a winch.

hank
Every day I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've stayed alive.
hankaye
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby brianjonesphoto » Thu Jun 04, 2020 10:06 pm

hankaye wrote:brian, Howdy;

Highly recommend the hitch in the front of tow vehicle. We used to move aircraft
in the hangers like that and there ya are like sittin' in the movie show able to watch
everything. Swap the hitch to the rear of the tow vehicle to pull it out. E-Z, P-Z.
Getting a front hitch installed would be inexpensive compared to the power dolly.
Plus it's there if you need it when camping or for a winch.

hank

I already have the front hitch. I was hoping the cheap option was going to work out. I've tried and it's too tight even front hitched. :cry:
brianjonesphoto
Teardrop Advisor

Postby hankaye » Fri Jun 05, 2020 4:06 pm

brian, Howdy;

So how, may I ask, did you get the utility trailer under the back porch???

hank
hankaye
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby brianjonesphoto » Fri Jun 05, 2020 6:11 pm

hankaye wrote:brian, Howdy;

So how, may I ask, did you get the utility trailer under the back porch???

hank

Originally by hand and gravity. Now I'm able to park it there with the front hitch. It is 5 feet shorter than the cargo trailer.
I have been able to get the cargo trail parked in the orange retagle now, but the approach to the red spot is just too tight for the room I have to maneuver. Leaving it in the orange spot permanently isn't an option between the kids play space and my needed to back down the length of the asphalt to load and unload equipment for work.
brianjonesphoto
Teardrop Advisor

Postby hankaye » Sat Jun 06, 2020 8:28 am

brian, Howdy;

:thinking: Well, in that case looks like you most likely have a Hedge to play with :(
;)

hank
hankaye
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby brianjonesphoto » Sat Jun 06, 2020 4:33 pm

I was able to get some 1.25" square tube today and my windows came. Maybe I'll be able to get the windows framed up this week. I won't install them until I have the electrical done and the plywood ready to go back up. I've got more plywood to remove and some gaps to fix and studs to paint.
brianjonesphoto
Teardrop Advisor

Postby brianjonesphoto » Sun Jun 07, 2020 11:19 am

Quick insulation question. My studs are 1-1/4” deep. With 1” foam boards should I leave air space between the skin or the plywood? It would be a handy cavity for running electrical behind the plywood.
brianjonesphoto
Teardrop Advisor

Postby flboy » Sun Jun 07, 2020 1:16 pm

My insulation is flush against the outside skin and then taped off on the studs sealing the inside. I did not seal the skin at the floor so it can breathe between skin and insulation to the outside only. My thought was there could be condensation at times and it needs to breathe some. The dead air between insulation and interior plywood is just another thermal break.. but like you said.. a good place to run some wires.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk
Don (Flboy)

YouTube Video of Finished 6x12 Trailer:
https://youtu.be/6_-8cVdWUIA
YouTube Video of 7*18 with 2ft V-nose Trailer:
https://youtu.be/MUcMM86LA2g
flboy
Gold Donating Member

Postby McDave » Tue Jun 09, 2020 1:15 pm

Couple different schools of thought on the air gap. Probably have to research some for yourself. But it seems some gap better than no gap.

McDave
McDave
Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions