Heating

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Heating

Postby mickelp » Wed Mar 04, 2020 7:57 am

I have a 5 x 10 CTC and i'm trying to find the best way to heat it. I don't have much room from the end of my bed to my refrigerator. ( maybe a 1ft ) I have been looking at a...Heat Storm Phoenix HS-1500-PHX. I can hang this on my wall and was hoping this might be ok. Can someone please help me on this
mickelp
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Heating

Postby McDave » Sat Mar 07, 2020 1:27 am

Hey mickelp,
That sounds like pretty tight quarters. You didn't mention where you are located or camp and what kind of heat you need, how much, LP or electric etc., but I use a Wave Heater in my 6 x 12 and it works really well. You do have to provide some kind of venting to provide fresh air to the cabin like a cracked window or roof vent. Here is some info:
https://www.manualslib.com/manual/95501 ... Wave3.html
Here is a vented catalytic heater:
http://www.ventedcatheater.com/
There are also electric heaters of all shapes and designs. You might look into wall panel heaters:
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Amaze-Heate ... 841701-_-N
Good Luck,

McDave
McDave
Donating Member

Postby featherliteCT1 » Sat Mar 07, 2020 5:15 pm

Before I installed a Chinese Diesel Heater in my trailer, I wanted to buy the vented catalytic heater McDave linked to. I emailed the proprietor multiple times in an attempt to obtain a price; however, I never could get a response. Now the web page looks upgraded and different. I would be curious to know if anybody has successfully purchased one.

They appear to be a great product.
featherliteCT1
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Grummy » Thu Mar 12, 2020 11:54 am

>>>>I have a 5 x 10 CTC and i'm trying to find the best way to heat it.

I realize you say you do not have much room. And, you refer to an electric heater, so are we to assume you only need heat when your near a power plug ? Or do you intend to carry a generator ?

If your near someone elses power plug when you need the heat, electric is fantastic. However, if your not, then you need to plan space for a generator and fuel. The most efficient will burn a gallon in 8 hours, so you have to have space of access for quite a bit of fuel.

That said, I think the best possible heat solution for the things we build to live or camp in really does come back primarily to the Eberspacher/Espar group of devices. Their smallest 6000 btu diesel heater would be plenty adequate and super efficient. However, it's space requirement comes down to available space for a tank sized large enough to hold enough fuel between your refill time cycle desires, also a decent deep cycle battery and preferably, solar panels on the roof to keep that battery alive.

Dont forget that a person may have to "stack" things on a trailer tongue, or even build "cabinets" in front of or behind your trailers fenders like I did on my 6x12 ATTX posted elsewhere in this forum.

The latter two above (battery and Solar) are often "must haves" on trailer builds anyhow, and frankly, with a furnace that can only burn 1 gallon in 24 hours when running on high, usually one does not need a huge tank. I LOVED my Espar... one of the finest things I owned for heat other than the occasional misfires from an over complicated, over wired/engineered German design (those guys always over think things). Clean burning, no moisture inside, cheap operation and pretty darn quiet.

The newer imported knockoff diesel heaters may be perfectly fine too, but I have not personally bought one yet,. I intend too. I do know they are slightly larger than the Espar versions.... space is always an issue.
Grummy
Teardrop Master

Postby chiefvintage » Thu Mar 12, 2020 4:17 pm

7x17 Cargo Trailer Toy Hauler
https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/topic? ... source=app
I have that heater works great!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
chiefvintage
Teardrop Advisor

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions