7.5'x18' Neo NAMR Transformer Build

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

7.5'x18' Neo NAMR Transformer Build

Postby greog86 » Wed Apr 15, 2020 6:24 pm

Well, we finally placed an order for our trailer today from Neo in MI!! Now we need the country to get back to work!

We settled on the NAMR model 7.5' x 18' with 7' interior height in Charcoal Gray and Green. The color scheme and "JD" slash design is similar to a transformers vehicle. The V nose adds another 39" so we will be just about 21' interior length from the V to the ramp. I searched for a little while to find something in stock that would work for us but after running through our list of wants/needs we determined it made the most sense to order custom to get what we really wanted.

Our list of upgrades over standard outfit include:
- RV door with window and screen door
- 3/8" Plywood interior walls replacing standard white vinyl
- Slide out entry step
- rear DT spoiler over ramp door
- Pair of bogie wheels
- 16' Black awning
- NXT Aluminum wheels
- External spare tire mount on V nose with matching NXT spare
- Brace and wire for future AC unit
- 16" OC floors

Bracing for the roof AC, and the RV door with the screen were the difficult options to find on stock units which ultimately drove our decision to order custom.

My wife and I have been planning on converting a cargo into a toy hauler/ family camper for a few years now. We have been avid tent campers and backpackers with our two girls (currently 4yo and 10mo) but over the last few summers have been less patient with the associated set up and tear down and general nonsense that accompanies tent camping with small children and two bird dogs...

So, my current plan is to build out front cabinets in the V nose to house the water tank, hot water heater, ducted furnace, and power center. I will also add upper cabinets for storage in the front. The water will be for a hand washing/ dish washing sink and i will drain that to a mobile gray water tank that I can store under the trailer. We're going to add in 4 bunks in the rear of the trailer that will fold flat to the walls to facilitate loading 4 wheelers and a future UTV when my youngest can safely ride in one. I plan to insulate the walls, ceiling, and underside of the trailer this year. We will also add windows when we finalize the layout but our initial plan is to have one to the left of the curbside door and another directly on the street side.

I will be eventually adding in solar panels and a charge system to keep batteries charged when off shore power. We do have a small 1000W generator but id prefer to not listen to it running if the solar could charge all day silently. I've been searching this site for a while now looking for schematics on rigging all that together so I can set everything up once and add in solar at a later date so any input on "prebuilding" for solar would be appreciated.

The dealer estimates mid to late June for delivery... I'm hoping for some enthusiastic employees who want to work really fast after a 2 month "stay-cation"!
greog86
Teardrop Inspector

Re: 7.5'x18' Neo NAMR Transformer Build

Postby flboy » Wed Apr 15, 2020 7:01 pm

Good luck with your build. Your trailer sounds really nice.
Don (Flboy)

YouTube Video of Finished 6x12 Trailer:
https://youtu.be/6_-8cVdWUIA
YouTube Video of 7*18 with 2ft V-nose Trailer:
https://youtu.be/MUcMM86LA2g
flboy
Gold Donating Member

Re: 7.5'x18' Neo NAMR Transformer Build

Postby Vspec » Thu Apr 30, 2020 6:24 pm

The more the merrier! Have a look at my thread http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=68314, I also have a Neo NAMR. Hopefully it can give you a few ideas.

If you plan on going with solar, do think about how the panels will be mounted on the roof. I don't know if Neo offers some kind of low profile rack. I've been debating a few options as I don't want to make any more holes in the outer skin of the trailer.

A fews things I would differently with mine:
- Think where you want your breaker box to be, this is limiting my cabinet options, as it could be in the way. If you dont have the 30A option then that is not an issue.
- Good thinking on the AC bracing. I did not and now it is too late. However there are now making mini-split heatpumps which many are retrofitting to their trailers.
- I had the upgraded walls (not 3/8"), with the LED strip lights package and I wish I could have gotten the lights with no walls, I found the inside finishing not to the same level as the construction of the trailer. I would have rather finished it myself.
- If it is not too late, add some bracing in the walls, where you plan to put the beds. We have bunks queen beds running the width of the trailer, using two 5ft section of e-track, but the last screws in the front are not in a wall rib. I will have to remediate but adding a longer piece that spans all the way to the next rib.

All that being said, we really love ours, we stuffed one Yamaha Viking 3 seater, one full size dirtbike and kid size dirtbike with all our gear it!
I'll be curious to see what you do with yours!
Vspec
Teardrop Advisor

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions