generator use question opinions

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

generator use question opinions

Postby jwhite » Sun May 03, 2020 5:44 pm

I recently bought a 2013 motorhome that I had always planned to buy and pull my cargo trailer with, it has a 4000 watt onan generator with 770 hours I hope that's low hours but I also have a champion 3100 watt wireless remote generator that has a 30amp plugin that I used with my cargo trailer.
My question is do you think it's in my best interest to use both to save or split the wear and tear on the generators ? example use the champion in the day when I can refuel it easily and then at night before I go to bed shut it off and then use the on board generator ?
or am I going to never wear out either so why worry about it.
I was trying to estimate how much gas I would need to run my generators in the summer months when I would be using it the most, the motorhome has a 55gallon fuel tank ? I have heard that the onan burns between a 1/2 to a gallon a hour, my champion would run 5 hours on a gallon of gas when I was running my 8000 btu ac and golf cart charger. 24 hours a day.
This could be a moot point anyway if the champion 3100 watt would not run the motorhome's roof top 1500 AC I am pretty sure they said it was not a 1350 AC.

I haven't been able to use the motorhome yet because of the shut down and am really want to ask before I try something so II don't burn something up ?
I know that it would be worth hauling it around just so I would have a backup incase the motorhome has a generator problem . and I could keep going until I found a repair place ?

just wondering if I am over thinking this ? I guess I will find out when I can get out and start using it ?
jwhite
The 300 Club

Re: generator use question opinions

Postby McDave » Sun May 03, 2020 6:51 pm

Yep, might be overthinking it a little, but what else do you have to in lockdown? My Coleman Mach A/C has a soft start and draws about 7 amps at startup. Then slowly ramps up to 9-10 amps as the high side pressure builds. I know a 2000w gen will run it but not in eco mode. One difference between the two gennys you mentioned is the motor speed. The smaller gens that are single cylinder engines run @ 3600rpm to produce 120vac.
The onan will run @1800rpm and are typically very smooth and quiet while producing all the power you could need. You shouldn't need to run it 24/7 unless you need A/C or other high power consumption appliances 24/7, which you might. I don't know how many hrs are typical for a 2013 RV but I would guess 1000-2000 hrs /year is reasonable. Full timers may use more but they are often plugged into shore power at resorts and campgrounds. So 700 hrs sounds like a barely used Onan to me. I would pack the 3100 and use it if you didn't want/need A/C or in case of failure, but the Onan would probably handle all your needs for many years with proper maintenance. They really are very well built, expensive machines. Just my thoughts...

McDave
McDave
Donating Member

Postby jwhite » Sun May 03, 2020 7:08 pm

Thanks for the reply I do overthink everything , I have heard the onan's are bullet proof but they are expensive also I would hate to have to replace it.
I live in the south and mostly will only use the RV in the warmer months because I hate cold weather. my experience is that when I have used the cargo trailer in the summer I pretty much run the AC 24hrs a day and it always feels great to go into the trailer after a hot day and have it ice cold and open a ice cold one also.
jwhite
The 300 Club

Postby djohnsonnv » Sun May 03, 2020 11:03 pm

If you are running a generator 24/7, I hope you have no neighbors within a half or a mile.

Sent from my moto e5 cruise using Tapatalk
djohnsonnv
Teardrop Builder

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions