iNSULATION / DISPERSED CAMPING

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

iNSULATION / DISPERSED CAMPING

Postby Augie Dog » Fri May 15, 2020 10:22 am

I'm hoping to take possession of my CT first week of June. As I watch everyone's builds on here I see that the go to foam board insulation is pink with a foil backing. Well I went to Lowe's and Home Depot to see what is available and they do not carry a pink board! Lowe's had a blue foam board with foil backing and I'm thinking this is just manufacturer choice of color but they did not have 1 inch thick board. Will I have to special order my insulation and again I realize the color has nothing to do with anything other than different manufacturer. Also have a question regarding installing electrical outlets for example in kitchen area walls. An outlet box has some kind of depth to it and CT walls ate normally shallow causing outlet box to stick out quite a bit or am I missing something here?
Anyway thanks for any future advice and I'm really getting stoked about getting my CT up and running! I have been researching dispersed camping areas on Federal Park land and I'll tell you what there are acres and acres available to anyone who wants to take advantage of it.
Augie Dog
Teardrop Builder

Re: iNSULATION / DISPERSED CAMPING

Postby onehoser » Fri May 15, 2020 10:51 am

i got my 1" iso sheathing foil on both sides from the local lumber yard. you can get shallow plastic receptacle boxes. good luck with your build
:)
I am the wisest man alive, for i know one thing, and that is that i know nothing. (socrates)
onehoser
The 300 Club

Postby tony.latham » Fri May 15, 2020 12:00 pm

Pink or blue, it's the same stuff. Two different manufacturers.

T
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby jwhite » Fri May 15, 2020 1:26 pm

I used the blue foam and did 2 layers it comes out flush with the medal frame, I used duct tape and sealed over all the spaces.
something I learned it may not apply to you but I used the 48.00 a sheet paneling on the ceiling and I found out later I should have used a 1x4 wood strip across the ceiling because the edges of the paneling did not line up square to the metal roof bar and the wood would have giving me something to screw to and I would have added at least 1 or maybe 2 extra sheets of foam in the ceiling.
on really hot days I can feel the heat from the roof, but I have a 8000btu window AC and it voided the need for that last step.
jwhite
The 300 Club

Postby Augie Dog » Sat May 16, 2020 9:46 pm

Thank you for your responses I have found some 1" Polypro with foil insulation on Craigslist for $10 a sheet. I will check it out before buying but it looks like good quality foam board.
Augie Dog
Teardrop Builder

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions