Water & Electric Entrance

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Water & Electric Entrance

Postby foxontherun » Fri May 29, 2020 1:20 pm

Good afternoon,
Wondering if there is any safety issue in having the electric and water entrance into the trailer in the same bay (16" oc walls). Getting ready to put backing in the wall and would like to keep this in the same bay. Water on one left side of bay and electric on right side of same bay.

Also, my plan is to keep batteries inside in a sealed compartment vented to outside. I would like to locate my power center in cabinet above the are that would house the batteries. The two compartments would be separated. Thoughts?
Thanks,
Harry
foxontherun
Teardrop Master

Re: Water & Electric Entrance

Postby Aguyfromohio » Fri May 29, 2020 2:04 pm

I don't see anything wrong with your approach.
My house has an electrical outlet for the garbage disposal in the cabinet under the kitchen sink. It's just a few inches below the faucet and it meets building and safety codes.
Aguyfromohio
Gold Donating Member

Postby troubleScottie » Fri May 29, 2020 7:58 pm

Make sure you have gfci in your system: gfci outlets, gfci breakers, maybe circuit protector eg Surge Guard. Basically you are using electric power while standing in a puddle.

Technically, if this is before any breakers for AC, so you are susceptible to short if you spring a leak. Many camp power towers offer little in short protection. Similarly, water pressure may vary, so without a pressure regulator, you might get too much pressure. It might be nice to have baffle to at least redirect water flow away from the AC connections.
Michael Krolewski
Scottish Terrier Fancier
troubleScottie
Donating Member

Postby McDave » Sat May 30, 2020 4:48 am

Mine are in the same bay. Never thought twice about separating them. But yes, a pressure regulator is a good idea. GFCI's also good. But definitely separate your batteries from power center and vent batteries. Good solid plumbing and electrical connections and you'll be fine.
Good luck!

McDave
McDave
Donating Member

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions