COMPOSTING TOILET

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

COMPOSTING TOILET

Postby Augie Dog » Mon Jun 01, 2020 9:14 am

I'm going to post this question here because I'm not sure where to post. I am going to build a composting toilet copied from a C-Head brand ($599.00) composting toilet. Most of my camping will be dispersed or boon docking so I figured this will work best for me. If you look at C-Head website they have dimensions of their different models but some of the dimensions are not clear at least to me. All models are pretty much identical to each other. My question for y'all, is there anyone in this group using a C-Head composting toilet and if so could you post or send me some dimensions? Also if this post needs to be in a different area please let me know and I will gladly move it. Thanks for you help I'm getting closer to picking up my CT just waiting for the call!
Augie Dog
Teardrop Builder

Re: COMPOSTING TOILET

Postby RJ Howell » Mon Jun 01, 2020 2:37 pm

I'm making one as well yet it is a wag-bag (with the same media) and a pee separator (funnel). First one was too short, so next one will make the size and height of the household toilet. The beauty of doing the wag-bag is no need for a fan, mixing paddle or anything besides the bag & media! Poo and pull the bag! Pee goes in a bottle with a water trap (bend in the line) so no smell there either.

I also just couldn't handle the costs of those commercial so called composting toilets.
RJ Howell
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby hankaye » Mon Jun 01, 2020 5:47 pm

Howdy All;

no fuss, no muss, ...
https://www.google.com/search?q=bucket+ ... e&ie=UTF-8
buy a bail/package of ceder chips or saw dust and some 13 gal. waste bags.
Works fine.

hank
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949 ...
Every day I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've stayed alive.
hankaye
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Augie Dog » Mon Jun 01, 2020 6:42 pm

RJ Howell wrote:I'm making one as well yet it is a wag-bag (with the same media) and a pee separator (funnel). First one was too short, so next one will make the size and height of the household toilet. The beauty of doing the wag-bag is no need for a fan, mixing paddle or anything besides the bag & media! Poo and pull the bag! Pee goes in a bottle with a water trap (bend in the line) so no smell there either.

I also just couldn't handle the costs of those commercial so called composting toilets.

So your just putting a trash bag in the bucket with the media? I'm going to run a hose into plumbing line under trailer and into a porta tank I've had and never really used.
Augie Dog
Teardrop Builder

Postby RJ Howell » Tue Jun 02, 2020 5:07 am

Augie Dog wrote:
RJ Howell wrote:I'm making one as well yet it is a wag-bag (with the same media) and a pee separator (funnel). First one was too short, so next one will make the size and height of the household toilet. The beauty of doing the wag-bag is no need for a fan, mixing paddle or anything besides the bag & media! Poo and pull the bag! Pee goes in a bottle with a water trap (bend in the line) so no smell there either.

So your just putting a trash bag in the bucket with the media? I'm going to run a hose into plumbing line under trailer and into a porta tank I've had and never really used.

Basically, that's all a 'composting toilet' is, though most don't have the bag.. Fancier the bucket, the more they charge for it. Composting is a marketing term being used.. What really is being composted in that toilet? Dried by the media, yes. Oh course a Poop Drying toilet doesn't market as well as calling it Composting. LOL
RJ Howell
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby twisted lines » Tue Jun 02, 2020 10:56 am

I worked in a remote area in the summer's and we experimented, (bought) everything we could. last several years it was a commercial composting toilet that wasn't plugged in, it was hard to keep it working as designed the fan and heater kept breaking anyway. Peat moss and a bucket for me.
:thumbsup:
Racking up; And Rapin foam
twisted lines
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby aggie79 » Tue Jun 02, 2020 11:46 am

RJ Howell wrote:So your just putting a trash bag in the bucket with the media? Composting is a marketing term being used.. What really is being composted in that toilet? Dried by the media, yes. Oh course a Poop Drying toilet doesn't market as well as calling it Composting. LOL

I think that's the whole point. To truly be composting, the toilet has to be in continuous use. They don't work on an intermittent camping use.

If you go the poo bag route, are you planning to bury the plastic poo bags? Or will they be stored for disposal at a later time?

We've had a Thetford porta potty for years. Easy to use; easy to dispose; no stink; not much hassle. In my opinion the use of a (make believe) composting toilet is not worth trouble or environmentally friendly.
Tom (& Linda)
For build info on our former Silver Beatle teardrop:
Build Thread

aggie79
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Postby Pinstriper » Tue Jun 02, 2020 1:21 pm

Yeah, if you are moving to a cabin off grid, composting toilet I suppose. How about just a latrine/outhouse ?

For camping or short term, either a bucket/bag system that you haul out, or something that you still end up putting into a pit and covering when you leave.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Let's eat, Grandma !
Let's eat Grandma !
Commas. They save lives.
Pinstriper
Teardrop Master

Postby RJ Howell » Tue Jun 02, 2020 2:06 pm

aggie79 wrote:
RJ Howell wrote:So your just putting a trash bag in the bucket with the media? Composting is a marketing term being used.. What really is being composted in that toilet? Dried by the media, yes. Oh course a Poop Drying toilet doesn't market as well as calling it Composting. LOL

I think that's the whole point. To truly be composting, the toilet has to be in continuous use. They don't work on an intermittent camping use.

Agreed! I see it more as the compost pile is continuously working. Takes far too long for it to stay in the toilet base..

If you go the poo bag route, are you planning to bury the plastic poo bags? Or will they be stored for disposal at a later time?

We've had a Thetford porta potty for years. Easy to use; easy to dispose; no stink; not much hassle. In my opinion the use of a (make believe) composting toilet is not worth trouble or environmentally friendly.

I have to dis-agree on not being environmentally friendly.. Key thing it does (as my wag-bag system does) is separate. Neither the liquid or solid as a separate are toxic, it's the combining that is. That's where that Thetford fails on a major scale (I borrowed one and used on a trip.. never again).
RJ Howell
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby McDave » Tue Jun 02, 2020 2:53 pm

RJ Howell wrote: Neither the liquid or solid as a separate are toxic, it's the combining that is. That's where that Thetford fails on a major scale (I borrowed one and used on a trip.. never again).

Well now, that is an interesting tidbit of info.. I'll have to keep that for later use.

McDave
McDave
Donating Member

Postby ris » Tue Jun 02, 2020 6:31 pm

If you spend months in the trailer get a composting toilet. We have had the nature’s head toilet since 2016. Heard the c-head is good also. Tried wag bags and port a potties they just do not do it for us for months in the trailer. For short term many different options.
ris
Teardrop Master

Postby OP827 » Fri Jun 05, 2020 6:03 pm

RJ Howell wrote:I'm making one as well yet it is a wag-bag (with the same media) and a pee separator (funnel)...

RJ, why do you need to separate pee and poo if you are disposing the wag-bag immediately anyways?
What would be different from your method if I use a composting plastic bag with peat moss media that could be used and then removed once or twice a day and put into garbage? I do not think that bad smell bacteria can develop within a few hours or overnight especially if peat moss is used to absorb liquid waste. I do not have experience with bucket or c-head toilets and I am looking for solution too.

Found some videos of a homemade C-head and a bucket toilet:

And this is my version of a bucket toilet that has a 12v fan inside with a vent shroud from under the seat, not tested yet:

I am still hesitant to drill a 3 inch vent hole in the trailer as I am not sure how this will work.
So this topic is of interest to me. BTW I also purchased a theford porta-potty, but not sure if we are going to use it.
OP827
Donating Member

Postby Augie Dog » Thu Jun 11, 2020 10:27 am

From my research of "composting" toilets It's my understanding separating the liquid from the solids is important for the system to work properly. Doing both into a disposable bag using a dry median,sawdust,kitty litter,peat moss,etc etc kind of defeats the purpose of composting. I also learned keeping liquid from solids allows you to be an occasional user of the system. When you mix liquid with solid that is where you get the strong odor and would need to be disposed of every 2-3 days. Think of dog crap in your yard. We all know what stepping into a fairly fresh pile smells like but give it several days and it's dried like a rock and no smell. Same with composting toilet. The area collecting the solids can be vented using a small computer fan if your afraid of smells. Anyway that is what I learned and it makes sense to me! :beer: :beer:
Augie Dog
Teardrop Builder

Postby dirtsailor2003 » Thu Jun 11, 2020 12:22 pm

We've been using the bucket method for many years when camping, kayak camping, etc. Bucket is for poop only. We've used all kinds of media. many times its whatever is available where we are as packing it in isn't always an option (kayak camping). One big upgrade we have made over the last decade is to use composting bags. Never had one fail and feel better putting them in the landfill. There are many brands out there. We have been using these for several years.

https://www.amazon.com/Green-Earth-Comp ... 326&sr=8-5

Remember pack it in Pack it out!
dirtsailor2003
The 300 Club

Postby aggie79 » Thu Jun 11, 2020 4:04 pm

No moisture = no composting. To actually "compost" organic matter, there needs to be some moisture present.

Too much moisture = no composting. This is why there are separators in composting toilets.

Also, to compost air needs to be present. If the organic solids are too condensed or compacted, then there needs to be agitation to "fluff" up the organic solids. This is why there are agitators in composting toilets.

If you aren't going to compost, then there is no need to spend the $$$ on a composting toilet. Wagbags, garbage sacks with peat moss or sawdust, etc., are temporary waste storage containers, and these are a heck of a lot cheaper than a composting toilet.
Tom (& Linda)
For build info on our former Silver Beatle teardrop:
Build Thread

aggie79
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Next

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions