Tearing out my cargo ac

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Re: Tearing out my cargo ac

Postby XR-duous » Fri Sep 11, 2020 7:10 am

Hey, sorry guys. I couldn't log in for the longest time....now it seems fine. Update: I added a voltage kick start deal to give it a bump as it initially starts. That definitely made a difference, but it still shuts down eventually in the middle of a cycle.

It's wired on its own breaker with 12/2 romex. Right now I just have a long extension cord off the side of the house with a little conversion plug to attach to my 30amp cord that plugs to the trailer. That's the same setup I had last year when I tested everything, and it tested good. It is, however, a different Outlet this time. When I'm running it this time, the only other things I have on in the trailer are a couple LED lights. Should be able to handle both.

So just to be clear, it starts and works, but then shuts down in the middle of a cycle. It doesnt stop completely. But the compressor kicks off and it fades way down. The led lights in the trailer then start blinking until I shut it off. I put the extension cord on a different outlet with the same results.

Edit: I was vacuuming out there yesterday and noticed the light would do a single blink every time I kicked on the vacuum. So, I would say voltage is definitely an issue. Not sure how to correct that though since I'm just plugged into the house.
XR-duous
Teardrop Advisor

Postby XR-duous » Sun Sep 13, 2020 6:10 pm

so I measured the voltage in the trailer. I measured 120v at the long extension cord right before it connects to my larger 30amp cord. All the outlets in the trailer seemed to register 117 volts. Is that a normal voltage drop? Could that be enough to mess up the ac unit?
XR-duous
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Modstock » Sun Sep 13, 2020 6:49 pm

Do you have another A.C. unit you can test ?
These things are built so cheaply, I wouldn't be surprised if the unit itself is bad.

Sent from my H1611 using Tapatalk
Modstock
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby flboy » Sun Sep 13, 2020 7:46 pm

Modstock wrote:Do you have another A.C. unit you can test ?
These things are built so cheaply, I wouldn't be surprised if the unit itself is bad.

Sent from my H1611 using Tapatalk

I agree... that sounds like a bad unit indeed.... if it is already started... but then just dies out after running for a period of time... sounds like the unit is turning off the compressor to protect it (possibly low on Freon, etc..)
Don (Flboy)

YouTube Video of Finished 6x12 Trailer:
https://youtu.be/6_-8cVdWUIA
YouTube Video of 7*18 with 2ft V-nose Trailer:
https://youtu.be/MUcMM86LA2g
flboy
Gold Donating Member

Postby XR-duous » Mon Sep 14, 2020 7:27 am

Thanks guys! So it sounds like I just have to replace it. Good news is that I think I got the trailer finished up this last weekend and I think it's looking pretty darn good. It was raining when I buttoned it up, so I couldn't get a pic.

Also, we have our fall riding season scheduled and the park is back open, so fall camping/riding here we come!
XR-duous
Teardrop Advisor

Previous

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions