Grounding to Frame of Aluminum Trailer

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Grounding to Frame of Aluminum Trailer

Postby foxontherun » Tue Aug 11, 2020 5:37 pm

I have some leftover #4 URD aluminum wire from running electric out to my shop from house. Would this wire work as the wire for grounding to the frame of aluminum trailer for DC and for AC?

I also have some copper 8/3 NM-B leftover from when I built my house 20 years ago. Would that wire work if the aluminum URD doesn't? Just trying to use what I already have to save a few bucks for other fun stuff for the build.

Thanks,
Harry
foxontherun
Teardrop Master

Re: Grounding to Frame of Aluminum Trailer

Postby Ol' D » Tue Aug 11, 2020 11:30 pm

Harry,
I think I would use copper wire with noalox compound to avoid corrosion. Here is a link to Home Depot, but its available anywhere they sell electrical supplies.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Ideal-Noalo ... ype=drawer

Aluminum wire is kind of frowned on in building except the utility will bring it in on a service. Copper is more reliable .

Good luck,
Dan
Ol' D
Donating Member

Postby Shadow Catcher » Wed Aug 12, 2020 6:40 pm

I had a problem early on and ended up with a hot skin. My solution was to, since every thing had a wired ground, was to remove all ground wires to the frame. It would have been a problem eventually.
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Postby Shadow Catcher » Wed Aug 12, 2020 6:43 pm

I had a problem early on and ended up with a hot skin. My solution was to, since every thing had a wired ground, was to remove all ground wires to the frame. It would have been a problem eventually.
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions