floor ac

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

floor ac

Postby viffer07 » Thu Dec 03, 2020 10:33 pm

I've been kicking around an idea for mounting the window ac vertically with the butt end in a hole in the floor. this would blow the cool air up into the cargo trailer.
sooo, can anyone give me a good reason with technical explanation as to why not?
the gas from the condensor goes to the compressor and changed into liquid, from there it goes through an orfice to the evaporater turned into a gas :twisted: , soaks up heat and then is drawn back into the condensor to repeat the cycle. so why would unit orientation have any ill effects on the function?
viffer07
Teardrop Inspector

Re: floor ac

Postby flboy » Thu Dec 03, 2020 10:43 pm

viffer07 wrote:I've been kicking around an idea for mounting the window ac vertically with the butt end in a hole in the floor. this would blow the cool air up into the cargo trailer.
sooo, can anyone give me a good reason with technical explanation as to why not?
the gas from the condensor goes to the compressor and changed into liquid, from there it goes through an orfice to the evaporater turned into a gas :twisted: , soaks up heat and then is drawn back into the condensor to repeat the cycle. so why would unit orientation have any ill effects on the function?

Might be an issue with the compressor oil that is circulated in the freon as I understand it.... could seize the compressor if gravity takes it elsewhere... same reason not to start a fridge for a few hours if it has been on its side for transport... May want to get some others to chime in... but i think that would be a no go.
Don (Flboy)

YouTube Video of Finished 6x12 Trailer:
https://youtu.be/6_-8cVdWUIA
YouTube Video of 7*18 with 2ft V-nose Trailer:
https://youtu.be/MUcMM86LA2g
flboy
Gold Donating Member

Postby Pmullen503 » Fri Dec 04, 2020 7:15 am

A window ac handles condensation via gravity to the outside. That may cause a problem if mounted vertically.

Duct work? Split system?
Pmullen503
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby GTS225 » Fri Dec 04, 2020 11:33 am

flboy wrote:Might be an issue with the compressor oil that is circulated in the freon as I understand it.... could seize the compressor if gravity takes it elsewhere... same reason not to start a fridge for a few hours if it has been on its side for transport... May want to get some others to chime in... but i think that would be a no go.

Yep.....this. The compressor is mounted, and designed for, vertical operation in that window A/C. You mount the unit vertically, now the compressor is trying to do it's job in a horizontal attitude, which it's not designed to do. At best, I think it would have a short life. At worst, it might lock up from pulling too much compressor oil into the pump.

Just my opinion.....Roger
GTS225
Teardrop Master

Postby Shadow Catcher » Sat Dec 05, 2020 8:46 pm

The compressor has to be up right, you could duct the air down or
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Postby Socal Tom » Mon Dec 07, 2020 9:15 am

You can buy “casement” ac units that are designed that way, but you can’t just flip the ac unit on its side. It will seize up pretty quickly.
Socal Tom
Donating Member

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions