New Project, for a friend.

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Re: New Project, for a friend.

Postby Karebru » Sun Jun 12, 2022 4:19 pm

It took another week, but the floor is done. :thumbsup:
Good thing I have a chiropractor appointment in the morning.
:roll: ...I hope I can get out of bed.

The ball is in my buddy's court now. I'm as far as I can go until he gets the cabinet back to me. ;)
I'm not going outside until the temperature is above my age.
Karebru
The 300 Club

Postby Staryder61 » Sun Jun 12, 2022 5:47 pm

Flooring looks good, rough on our backs with our age.. :roll:
Then we push through it.. what are you doing on the ceiling?
Stay safe, David

Our CTC
6' X 12' CTC = Texas Sized Tackle Box
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=74704
Staryder61
Silver Donating Member

Postby Karebru » Sun Jun 12, 2022 6:39 pm

Thanks.
The ceiling panels are 1/4" Sandeply. He painted them white. There's enough dark going on in there.
I need clearance to stand up the full height cabinet before installing the ceiling. I may also have to temporarily remove one of my furring strips.
I'm not sure what he's doing with the finish on the cabinet. the wall battens, baseboard, etc. are a lighter colored stain than the wall panels.
Karebru
The 300 Club

Postby Staryder61 » Mon Jun 13, 2022 12:34 pm

Looks really good, your part.. :thumbsup:
Way to dark for my taste, but everyone is different..
It's funny how different each trailer can be.. ;)
Stay safe, David

Our CTC
Staryder61
Silver Donating Member

Postby Karebru » Wed Jun 15, 2022 7:45 am

Staryder61 wrote:
It's funny how different each trailer can be.

He mentioned being surprised that the pine ply took the stain so dark. Must not have tried a sample first... Pro taking a shortcut. - We've all done it. :R
Personally, I'm partial to a clear finish on most species.

Summer's here. :icedtea:
I need to get the yard under control.
Then, if he hasn't gotten the cabinet back to me yet, I'll tackle the ramp door.
Karebru
The 300 Club

Postby Staryder61 » Wed Jun 15, 2022 11:02 am

Karebru wrote:
Staryder61 wrote:
It's funny how different each trailer can be.

He mentioned being surprised that the pine ply took the stain so dark. Must not have tried a sample first... Pro taking a shortcut. - We've all done it. :R
Personally, I'm partial to a clear finish on most species.

Summer's here. :icedtea:
I need to get the yard under control.
Then, if he hasn't gotten the cabinet back to me yet, I'll tackle the ramp door.

Most species high light great when done in a clear finish, not all for sure.. some just remain plain..
Choose the wood for the look you want.. ;)

Summer, here too. Turned a tad cooler yesterday, to the harsh heat we've had. So was a toss up. trailer or yard..
They both won. finished screwing in the walls and puttying holes and seams in the floor early.. then out came the lawnmower for a trim.. :thumbsup:
Stay safe, David

Our CTC
Staryder61
Silver Donating Member

Postby Apples » Wed Jun 15, 2022 10:14 pm

Someone somewhere nearby said, "cargo conversion camper builds are not for the faint of heart"...

I am, timewise, quite a way into my 5 X 10 but most of that has been spent fumbling around while attempting to fortify it's foundation; add x-members between the axles (had to hire a welder), change the suspension (Timbren original Axle-less, limited to a 235/75-15 tire/wheel), adding electric trailer brakes, wiring for same (and changing the flat 4-pin to a round 7-pin [blade] connector)... have one window opening cut and framed... more planning for power access through the driver's side wall, mounted 420 watts PV panels on the curved roof, routed 8AWG to the interior, made an awning frame...

I've conquered these obstacles having never done them before and now I'm afeard to slather my baltic birch interior wall plywood with clear shellac, having never done THAT before, either. I'm at my wits end. LOL.

Help.

Great thread! Glad I stumbled onto it. Once I sort out some pictures transfer issues, I'll start my own thread. Just popping in here for some moral support...
Apples
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Karebru » Thu Jun 16, 2022 9:46 am

Apples wrote: Once I sort out some pictures transfer issues, I'll start my own thread. Just popping in here for some moral support...

Looking forward to seeing pictures of your project. It sounds interesting.

I don't have any experience with shellacs, but I'll bet there's plenty of it on YouTube. If you're using new plywood, you've already won the battle of not having to worry about it reacting with an old finish or contaminants.
Karebru
The 300 Club

Postby Staryder61 » Thu Jun 16, 2022 10:55 am

Apples wrote:Someone somewhere nearby said, "cargo conversion camper builds are not for the faint of heart"...
I've conquered these obstacles having never done them before and now I'm afeard to slather my baltic birch interior wall plywood with clear shellac, having never done THAT before, either. I'm at my wits end. LOL.
Help.

Great thread! Glad I stumbled onto it. Once I sort out some pictures transfer issues, I'll start my own thread. Just popping in here for some moral support...

Apples, I haven't seen anyone or know of anyone that uses shellac much any more.. unless they want the color tint it adds. Shellac does not hold up very well and is not water resistant.. And it's almost twice the price of a good polyurethane.. now that being said, I'm no expert.. just my experience.. (IMHO)

I do agree with Karebru..

Karebru wrote:Looking forward to seeing pictures of your project. It sounds interesting.
Stay safe, David

Our CTC
Staryder61
Silver Donating Member

Postby Karebru » Thu Jun 16, 2022 10:57 pm

Staryder61 wrote:Apples, I haven't seen anyone or know of anyone that uses shellac much any more.. unless they want the color tint it adds. Shellac does not hold up very well and is not water resistant.. And it's almost twice the price of a good polyurethane.. now that being said, I'm no expert.. just my experience.. (IMHO)

Agreed. I'm not expert either, so I don't want to say, don't use it, but...

In my own trailer, I sprayed 2 coats of pre-catalyzed furniture lacquer over two coats of (sanded) sanding sealer. It's "water white" (no tint) and looks good on the golden-brown alder. The urethanes that I've used have an amber tint similar to that of shellac. Most baltic birch ply is a light blonde, so if you like the amber...

Also, urethane is probably the most durable of the three. My buddy is using urethane on the parts for his trailer.

While I'm thinking about it, There's a brand of lacquer called, Deft. It has additives in it that are supposed to make it easy to use, but they also make it soft and easy to scratch. Just throwing that out there.
Karebru
The 300 Club

Postby Staryder61 » Fri Jun 17, 2022 3:13 am

Karebru wrote:
Staryder61 wrote:Apples, I haven't seen anyone or know of anyone that uses shellac much any more.. unless they want the color tint it adds. Shellac does not hold up very well and is not water resistant.. And it's almost twice the price of a good polyurethane.. now that being said, I'm no expert.. just my experience.. (IMHO)

Agreed. I'm not expert either, so I don't want to say, don't use it, but...

In my own trailer, I sprayed 2 coats of pre-catalyzed furniture lacquer over two coats of (sanded) sanding sealer. It's "water white" (no tint) and looks good on the golden-brown alder. The urethanes that I've used have an amber tint similar to that of shellac. Most baltic birch ply is a light blonde, so if you like the amber...

Also, urethane is probably the most durable of the three. My buddy is using urethane on the parts for his trailer.

While I'm thinking about it, There's a brand of lacquer called, Deft. It has additives in it that are supposed to make it easy to use, but they also make it soft and easy to scratch. Just throwing that out there.

Deft is also a great product. Used it years ago, finishing custom cabinets and custom speaker boxes.. made with black walnut, african mahogany, ebony, red oak, you want a clear hard surface for protection..

Where as now I use polyurethane for it's ability to be easier to use out of the can. It's very versatile, basically replacing most shellacs and varnishes, being it's water proof. And can be applied by brush, roller, sprayed or even with a rag.
Stay safe, David

Our CTC
Staryder61
Silver Donating Member

Postby Apples » Fri Jun 17, 2022 3:44 pm

Hey fellers, thanks for your replies.

Reason for using shellac is that clear shellac on raw birch ply produces that warm, golden honey-colored finish often seen in mid-century furniture and travel trailers. I love that look. Since my 5 X 10 is so small, I'm looking to keep the interior not too dark.

Secondly, shellac is non-toxic. My dog could chew on it, not that I'd let him, and, nor does he. Third, while it isn't very water-resistant, I would use it only on interior wood, and I am a stickler for ventilation (and, I'm going to extra lengths to create a filtered, lightly-forced ventilation to mitigate dust intrustion when traveling off-highway. Results to be seen.) Lastly, I camp mostly in the southwestern desert regions in the fairer months of the year, avoiding extreme summertime heat. Humidity is very low in this environment...

I have no experience applying shellac and don't want to botch (or, blotch!) this great Latvian birch ply material. Time for YouTube, I guess. I don't watch a lot of YouTube "how-to's" so this is new territory for me in many respects.

Please pardon the threadjack, and thanks again for your support. :beer:
Apples
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Karebru » Fri Jun 17, 2022 10:48 pm

:beer: Cheers!
All sound reasons for using it. Besides... Old-school is cool. 8)
I know that mid-century look you're talking about. Seems like our school desk tops were birch back then. And Airstream trailer interiors?
In my experience, the plywood you're talking about.. Latvian, Baltic... Russian Birch, is a great product, although a slightly different species than the old mid-century, American Birch.
Shellac ought to give you the look you're shooting for. Let us know how it turns out.
And, picture... We want PICTURES!
Karebru
The 300 Club

Postby Karebru » Wed Jul 13, 2022 9:36 pm

It's been almost a month, so I thought I'd give this thread a bump.
I'm dealing with some health issues that interrupt my days. If all goes well, things should be resolved in about a month.
That, and keeping up the yard is in full swing this time of year. Trailer progress is slow.
Its close to being finished the way he wants it. The single cabinet needs to be screwed in place. Then I need to drag out the chop saw and do all the trim work.

He wants screens for the ramp and side door.
I saw these on Amazon. I ordered one for my own side door, to check out the quality, and I'm impressed with it. Especially for the price. I haven't mounted it yet, but it looks to be surprisingly well made. (For, Made in China.)
https://www.amazon.com/Customized-Magnetic-Screen-Door-Size/dp/B07YXYQNNG
When I can get accurate measurements, I'll order his.
Karebru
The 300 Club

Postby Karebru » Mon Aug 29, 2022 12:16 pm

Well, That's it... :beer:

If he brings a TV and bracket with him when he comes to pick it up, I'll mount it for him.
There's a few small things like cabinet door pulls, etc. but I'm calling it done.
Also a few small pieces he'll have to put a finish on when he gets it home. The door screens should be here in October.

I hate keeping track of it all, but...
He's got $4,010.04 in it in parts and material, and I put in 169.5 actual working hours. That doesn't include time spent running around and shopping online for stuff.

~~~

The wife and I have a couple weekends planned with or own trailer. The week after Labor Day, and again at Halloween.
We're anxious to try out our fancy, new pop-up gazebo. The old one was a pain to set up and take down.

Had to try it out in the front yard... :thumbsup:

Karebru
The 300 Club

PreviousNext

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions