What stabilizer legs should I use?

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

What stabilizer legs should I use?

Postby Wrecit » Sun Feb 20, 2022 8:33 pm

Ok going to try to keep the question PG-13. My wife and I have a bit of a reputation for being VERY hard on bed frames so trailer stabilizers is a topic that has been driving me crazy. I have looked at the sizzor jack type but having lost cars on these type of jack way to many times I am not sure I trust them. My second thought is to mount bracing on all 4 corners to mount the 3 inch square post jacks

My other thought is to use the outrigger style but use 2 on each corner (one out the side and one out the back on the rear) my only issue with them is are they able to be fine tuned or are you stuck with the drill hole pattern.

This is a 6x12 that will basically be towed to 1 camp ground and left there (yea I thought about more permanent support but the camp ground may frown on me digging a footer lol)

Any ideas
You hide your conversion and call it stealth. I put mine out in the open and give it a beer.

viewtopic.php?f=50&t=74635
Wrecit
Teardrop Master

Re: What stabilizer legs should I use?

Postby Indiana Rambler » Sun Feb 20, 2022 9:10 pm

I pondered this very same question while building my camper. Well, just my two cents and I’ve only used it in the garage as I’m still in the build process, I have the outrigger (stabilizer) type. They fold out and ratchet down to the ground to stabilize the camper. These seem to take up less real estate than the screw or the scissor type. They can be ratcheted per hole about ever 1/4 inch. They seem to make the camper very stable. I have them mounted on the rear of the trailer only, but I do have two more that I may end up installing on the sides of the trailer after we use it a few times.
That being said, I’ve found some of the scissor type jacks that I would have purchased, just in case of uneven ground. The only problem I could find with those would be semi permanent mounting them (in my case anyway). I’d hate to have one rip off of my trailer towing or on uneven ground if they were permanently mounted. And, my camper is smaller, so making a receiver to put them in when getting to camp seems like a good idea, I just feel finding a place to store 2-4 jacks in the camper may be a bit cumbersome.
I know both my wife and I have been moving around a lot in the camper while building, and it seems very solid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Indiana Rambler
Teardrop Master

Postby John61CT » Sun Feb 20, 2022 9:20 pm

John61CT
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Wrecit » Sun Feb 20, 2022 9:45 pm

John61CT wrote:Not saying this specific unit, but the design type

https://images.etrailer.com/static/imag ... 7_1000.jpg

https://www.etrailer.com/Camper-Jacks/L ... 91023.html

I actually have considered a ground up fabrication that would work much like that. Gives me something else to consider. Thanks
You hide your conversion and call it stealth. I put mine out in the open and give it a beer.

Wrecit
Teardrop Master

Postby onehoser » Mon Feb 21, 2022 7:48 am

we usually boondock so i made up a couple of jacks that i can move around incase of uneven ground

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I am the wisest man alive, for i know one thing, and that is that i know nothing. (socrates)
onehoser
The 300 Club

Postby mtbikernate » Mon Feb 21, 2022 11:24 am

I've seen people bolt/weld angle brackets like that onto the trailer frame for permanent attachment points.

Do your mounts attach permanently to the trailer? The last time I looked at one of those designs, I thought about not permanently attaching it so it could be moved.
mtbikernate
Teardrop Master

Postby onehoser » Mon Feb 21, 2022 12:08 pm

mtbikernate wrote:I've seen people bolt/weld angle brackets like that onto the trailer frame for permanent attachment points.

Do your mounts attach permanently to the trailer? The last time I looked at one of those designs, I thought about not permanently attaching it so it could be moved.

i had intended to bolt them to the frame but decided to leave them moveable. the one that i have at the tongue is bolted.
I am the wisest man alive, for i know one thing, and that is that i know nothing. (socrates)
onehoser
The 300 Club

Postby hankaye » Mon Feb 21, 2022 12:16 pm

Wrecit, Howdy;

Kind of a each to their own kind of thing. Depends on terrain, soil all that kind of stuff.
Here's a source of information that can show you a lot of different methods to creating
a stable platform for folks that are gymnastically inclined.
https://www.pplmotorhomes.com/parts/tow ... s-levelers

Happy shopping.

hank
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949 ...
Every day I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've stayed alive.
hankaye
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Gulfcoast » Mon Feb 21, 2022 12:18 pm

My 6x12 is stable enough, I don't need any stabilizer's.
6x12 cargo trailer - Mini Split A/C - Starlink - TMobile home internet
Gulfcoast
Teardrop Master

Postby swoody126 » Mon Feb 21, 2022 12:57 pm

onehoser wrote:we usually boondock so i made up a couple of jacks that i can move around incase of uneven ground

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

IIRC you can purchase extra mounting points for these pivoting tongue jacks so you can just move the kack and be sure of permanent stability

sw
"we are the people our parents warned us about" jb
swoody126
500 Club

Postby theicomguy » Mon Feb 21, 2022 7:09 pm

MY trailers came with these from the manufacture - Funny part is it was only a $75.00 option on the trailer and they wanted more and I had to do it. So far they are pretty good. Have not spelt in the trailer yet but all the work I've done they are solid.

https://www.etrailer.com/Camper-Jacks/S ... 892-2.html
theicomguy
Teardrop Builder

Postby Shadow Catcher » Mon Feb 21, 2022 7:44 pm

We have never felt the need for one (or more). You have three points of contact and if the axle is in the right place it should be enough.

Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Postby Grummy » Mon Feb 21, 2022 8:03 pm

I've got a 6x12. Wife can't stand a wobbly trailer. It had those annoying tip down jacks that you have to fiddle for a half hour with the front jack and both rear jacks to get things leveled. Terrible. Just terrible. I took them off.

I thought I was going to use scissor jacks, but the thing with those is that you can crank them up, but the whole system lets the trailer wobble from side to side unless you want to spend 15 minutes attaching cross bars. Nope. Not doing that.

The BEST option I found allows me to simply level the trailer side to side using a pad system, then unhook the trailer, crank the front jack to make the trailer level from front to back.

Then I throw one of these across the back and if I will be parked or a while, one under the side door:

https://www.amazon.com/Valterra-020106- ... 484&sr=8-5

Takes me 1 minute or less, and I have a really, really rigid trailer. Love these. One I bought, One I made. Easy to make actually.
Grummy
Teardrop Master

Postby Wrecit » Mon Feb 21, 2022 8:33 pm

Ok after reading the comments and doing some more investigation I got a plan (I think lol) i am hoping to get the materials together in the next week or 2 and will post a video.

Wrecit
Teardrop Master

Postby hankaye » Tue Feb 22, 2022 10:11 am

Wrecit, Howdy;

Regardless of which system you choose, it is your choise after all;
The best practice that the RV folks use (I'm one), is to level side to side first
then dip the nose below the level line, a wee bit (scientific measurement for
sure, dude), then deploy your rear stabilizers then raise the nose back up to
take the weight off the trailer's suspension. Have been living in my RV for
about a dozen years now and steady as a rock.

hank
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949 ...
Every day I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've stayed alive.
hankaye
2000 Club
2000 Club

Next

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions