RV Doors

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

RV Doors

Postby cdnred » Wed Jul 26, 2023 12:07 pm

I'm in the market for a good used enclosed cargo trailer approx. 5 x 8 or 10 to convert over to a camper. I've had an A-Frame, Pop-Up, Hybrid and a TT but they all have their disadvantages. I want something that's between 4 ft and 5 ft high inside (like a teardrop) so that it's more streamlines for traveling and saving on gas. I'd want something that when fully loaded falls below my tow capacity of 3500 lbs. I'd prefer having a rear ramp door (for transporting my riding mower when needed) which there are plenty enough around with that feature. I'd like to have a side door that's a RV style door that can be opened and locked from either inside or outside. Problem is that most (all) cargo trailers that I've seen with side doors have the cargo style latches with the bar that opens and locks from the outside..

I've seen videos of people converting these latches over to a RV style latch, it's a rather finicky and time consuming process plus there's no window. Might be cheaper and easier just to install a complete door rather then just the latch..? I haven't priced out doors and the labor to install it but I think it would have a more professional look when finished. Plus with a new door I could possibly get a window and screen included or would I be better off just to buy a small teardrop camper that already has most of these features except for the rear cargo doors..?

Has anyone here attempted making this mod..? If going with a new side door then it would be better off to purchase a cargo trailer that doesn't have a side door. Any thoughts or recommendations on which would be better route to take both for costs and appearance..?
cdnred
Teardrop Advisor

Re: RV Doors

Postby RJ Howell » Wed Jul 26, 2023 5:03 pm

I bought mine from FB Marketplace on the low$$. Just be prepared to cut and fit. Not all that hard since most of these are cheaply built and can use being broken down and resealed.. Really isn't all that hard.. Just time & patience
RJ Howell
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby cdnred » Wed Jul 26, 2023 7:07 pm

Was that the RV door you bought on MP or just the RV latch for changing the cargo over to a passage door..? If it was the RV door, it would be simple enough to change over and cut a new opening in the side depending on the location of the wall supports. Sounds like it would be better to just buy a CT that didn't have a side door then to modify one that did have a door...
cdnred
Teardrop Advisor

Postby RJ Howell » Thu Jul 27, 2023 6:05 am

6ft RV door I adapted to 5ft. Easy enough and $100 (with screen door)!
RJ Howell
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby onehoser » Sat Jul 29, 2023 6:20 am

i had the factory install an rv latch on my 6x12 when i ordered it, in hindsight i should have gone with a smaller man-door, less heat/ac out, less bugs in and shorter won’t hit awning :)
I am the wisest man alive, for i know one thing, and that is that i know nothing. (socrates)
onehoser
The 300 Club

Postby cdnred » Sat Jul 29, 2023 8:31 am

If I was going with a new trailer that definitely would be the way to go, have the factory install. I was looking at some used 5 x 8 or 10's that had no side door with a body height of 5 ft. The height for me would be better, more aerodynamic with less wind resistance going down the road. I can pick up a RV style man door locally from a yard that includes a screen door. They're normally in the range of 6 ft high doors. Modifying the door to suit would be doable but perhaps in the long run getting a new trailer with the door already installed may be the best bet. I'm not all that handy working on body panels and modifying doors to end up with a nice clean factory finish..
cdnred
Teardrop Advisor

Postby aggie79 » Tue Aug 01, 2023 11:43 am

I have always had a dream of converting one of these for a "pop-top" conversion.

I haven't priced them, but this is a first-class, top-quality manufacturer so I'm sure they are quite spendy!

http://www.sundownertrailer.com/tlr-MiniGO.html
Tom (& Linda)
For build info on our former Silver Beatle teardrop:
Build Thread

aggie79
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Postby DrNosty » Mon Sep 18, 2023 10:30 pm

Just an option, but i just bought a shed door handle, drilled a hole in the door for the shaft and drilled and tapped a piece of 2" by quarter inch flat stock to the inside handle that comes with it to catch the inside wall. It works great. The handle locks from the outside like they typical shed door handle, but I still bolt and lock the door when we're away from camp with the cargo trailer latch arm and a padlock.
Camping: Spending a small fortune to live like a homeless person.
DrNosty
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Grummy » Tue Sep 19, 2023 1:25 am

aggie79 wrote:I have always had a dream of converting one of these for a "pop-top" conversion.

Oh my!!.... you and I both ! These would make an excellent base to build on. Low tow height, light weight, so, so much good about them, but.....

They have one problem. TOO NARROW for me.

They should make a 6.5' wide, with flushed wheels. I guess even if they never built a 6+ wide, I'd still take one of these over a teardrop.

A guy could convert it from the single hinged end to a full, straight up lift concept pretty easy. I'd dump the swing door, turn it into a ramp so I could just make it an elevated floor, then sew up an enclosure that encompasses the entire available floor space.

I looked pretty hard at these before I went with a regular 6x12. Trouble was it was more expensive than my 6x12. Awesome looking though.
Grummy
Teardrop Master

Postby Betteroutside » Tue Oct 31, 2023 8:35 am

Anyone who has the bar latch on the outside of the side door should always remember that you can be locked inside by someone.
Betteroutside
Teardrop Inspector

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions