Dexter Axle flip

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Dexter Axle flip

Postby NC trailer trash » Fri Aug 04, 2023 7:21 am

Has anyone done the dexter axle flip on their CTC to gain extra ground clearance? If so, was it as simple as the videos make it look?
Learning as I go
Retired pastor, Electrician, camper, woodsman, ctcc owner
T. Cheek
NC trailer trash
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Dexter Axle flip

Postby Grummy » Sun Aug 06, 2023 8:49 pm

Learning as you go ? Best way to do it ! I say you can accomplish absolutely anything. Just keep throwing money at it and well, you will get there !

Seriously, yes, moving an axle tube that is currently bolted on top of the springs to under the springs is pretty simple, provided you first off have a straight axle, and have some Grinding / Welding skills to remove and relocate the spring pads.

You cant just roll the axle so the spring pads are on the top and bolt it back together, because... the axle tube is usually kinked from the factory for alignment purposes. If you ignore that, you can have a trailer that does not follow very well and or wear tires out quickly.

If you do not have the welding skills, there is another option some get away with depending on your exact axle's pads. Sometimes you can just move the axle from on top to the bottom, then use custom made steel "U" shaped pieces to leave and allow the spring pads now located on the way bottom to fill the gap maintaining the correct or original parallel between spring and pad. Some kits are available for this and they appear to use some heavy muffler clamp shaped bracket as this "U" bracket.

You can not "axle flip" a drop axle to where you put the drop axle part facing downward though... as your springs would break in short order with that extra "lever" down there.
Grummy
Teardrop Master

Postby flboy » Mon Aug 07, 2023 8:44 pm

NC trailer trash wrote:Has anyone done the dexter axle flip on their CTC to gain extra ground clearance? If so, was it as simple as the videos make it look?
I did it to my 6x12. It is not hard. Just plan on having a cutoff tool handy if any of the existing hardware does not want to come off. Be sure to weld on the new perches. There are kits that are "no weld", but I think it is safer just to weld them on.

Also, make sure the trailer is properly supported when tires and etc. are removed. Don't want it wobbly when you are wrenching on it.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk
Don (Flboy)

YouTube Video of Finished 6x12 Trailer:
https://youtu.be/6_-8cVdWUIA
YouTube Video of 7*18 with 2ft V-nose Trailer:
https://youtu.be/MUcMM86LA2g
flboy
Gold Donating Member

Postby flboy » Sat Aug 12, 2023 8:01 pm

BTW.. here is a video I made when I flipped my axle. May be helpful to you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9SmCMNJkmh4
Don (Flboy)

YouTube Video of Finished 6x12 Trailer:
https://youtu.be/6_-8cVdWUIA
YouTube Video of 7*18 with 2ft V-nose Trailer:
https://youtu.be/MUcMM86LA2g
flboy
Gold Donating Member

Postby NC trailer trash » Tue Aug 15, 2023 8:10 am

Grummy wrote:Learning as you go ? Best way to do it ! I say you can accomplish absolutely anything. Just keep throwing money at it and well, you will get there !

Seriously, yes, moving an axle tube that is currently bolted on top of the springs to under the springs is pretty simple, provided you first off have a straight axle, and have some Grinding / Welding skills to remove and relocate the spring pads.

You cant just roll the axle so the spring pads are on the top and bolt it back together, because... the axle tube is usually kinked from the factory for alignment purposes. If you ignore that, you can have a trailer that does not follow very well and or wear tires out quickly.

If you do not have the welding skills, there is another option some get away with depending on your exact axle's pads. Sometimes you can just move the axle from on top to the bottom, then use custom made steel "U" shaped pieces to leave and allow the spring pads now located on the way bottom to fill the gap maintaining the correct or original parallel between spring and pad. Some kits are available for this and they appear to use some heavy muffler clamp shaped bracket as this "U" bracket.

You can not "axle flip" a drop axle to where you put the drop axle part facing downward though... as your springs would break in short order with that extra "lever" down there.

:thumbsup:
Learning as I go
T. Cheek
NC trailer trash
Teardrop Inspector

Postby NC trailer trash » Tue Aug 15, 2023 8:11 am

flboy wrote:
NC trailer trash wrote:Has anyone done the dexter axle flip on their CTC to gain extra ground clearance? If so, was it as simple as the videos make it look?
I did it to my 6x12. It is not hard. Just plan on having a cutoff tool handy if any of the existing hardware does not want to come off. Be sure to weld on the new perches. There are kits that are "no weld", but I think it is safer just to weld them on.

Also, make sure the trailer is properly supported when tires and etc. are removed. Don't want it wobbly when you are wrenching on it.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

My kit is a weld kit for dexter axles.
Learning as I go
T. Cheek
NC trailer trash
Teardrop Inspector

Postby NC trailer trash » Tue Aug 15, 2023 8:12 am

flboy wrote:BTW.. here is a video I made when I flipped my axle. May be helpful to you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9SmCMNJkmh4

I watched the video along with several others. Thank you for sharing it.
Learning as I go
T. Cheek
NC trailer trash
Teardrop Inspector

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions