Going To Build New 8.5 x 18ft V-nose - non-Toy Hauler

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Going To Build New 8.5 x 18ft V-nose - non-Toy Hauler

Postby flboy » Sat Aug 12, 2023 10:34 am

Well, after six years of enjoyment and careful consideration of my future travel desires, I have decided to sell my 7*18ft V-Nose Cargo Trailer Toy Hauler. I have a little work to do on it to get it ready for sale as I want it to be perfect for the future owner. I will keep my 6*12 build for solo adverntures. I plan on hitting Quartzsite and the southwest desert in Jan 2024 in the 6*12 solo with Lexus (my GSD) for a month or so and do some dirtbike exploring again.

I want to buy an all Aluminum 8.5 *18Ft V-nose to replace it. The build will not be a toy hauler, but it I will be able to take my motorcycles with me when I choose with a a tag axle type trailer (See Swivel Wheel carrier below). I plan to make a very hi-tech and luxurious interior for extended four season travel and dry camping with my wife. Will have all the amenties as the 7*18.. but different floorplan with a more permanent bed setup. Floor plan will be similar to some class B van builds, but with larger aisle, full bathroom, and more storage. I do not want to buy commercial because, unless I want to spend north of $70K, almosty all travel trailers are built like disposable appliances. Look nice, but will not stand the test of time or abuse. The plan is to start collecting components and acquire the trailer within 12 to 18 months and then take 6 months to build it out. This will be my 4th build, so I have acquired a few relevant skills and even more thoughts on the do's and don'ts when it comes to the build out.

To that end, for those of you who have all aluminum trailers, I'd be interested in your thoughts on manufactures I could work with to spec one out. I want Aluminum soley for the overall weight savings. I will use lightweight composite type paneling and etc.. to save weight also. I will be pulling with my F250 gasser and want to be under 6,000 lbs loaded so the truck doesn't have to work too hard in areas I'll wish I had a diesel with turbo.

Thoughts?

How I intend to convert to toy hauler when I want: I will weld 2 receivers on the back of the CTC. The carrier will easily attach and can be backed up and etc. Also, the carrier holds the weight. Very minimal wirght is transfered to the CTC rear.

Don (Flboy)

YouTube Video of Finished 6x12 Trailer:
https://youtu.be/6_-8cVdWUIA
YouTube Video of 7*18 with 2ft V-nose Trailer:
https://youtu.be/MUcMM86LA2g
flboy
Gold Donating Member

Re: Going To Build New 8.5 x 18ft V-nose - non-Toy Hauler

Postby foxontherun » Sat Aug 12, 2023 12:17 pm

Morning Don,
I've had my Neo for five years and would buy it again. Factory has always been quick to respond to any issues/questions I've had; mailed me parts when needed and/or paid to have issue fixed here as I wasn't going to haul it back to MI to have them fix it (no dealers near me at the time). Trailer pulls good and build quality is good. I had mine custom built and they accommodated everything I asked for. At the moment my 7x16 (7' interior height) is less than 3000 lbs with everything I have added (not finished yet but shouldn't be more than the low 3k's when finished). My trailer is the motorcycle model.

Not sure how close you are but it looks like there is a dealer NW of Lakeland that has a few in stock if you should want to check out build quality.

https://www.neotrailers.com/trailers.php
https://www.floridatrailersolutions.com ... o|74f.html

Look forward to your next project! :D :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Harry
foxontherun
Teardrop Master

Postby flboy » Sat Aug 12, 2023 1:05 pm

Harry, many thanks.. That is exactly what I am looking for. I'd like to go through a dealer. May be a wash in cost if I had to pick up in Michigan. They can also deal with factory better. I like the stylish front ends with the slanted V-nose. Think those are a little better aerodynamic or is that just for looks?

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk
Don (Flboy)

flboy
Gold Donating Member

Postby foxontherun » Sat Aug 12, 2023 3:26 pm

No problem Don. I thought the nose looked cool and looked like it would be more aerodynamic; couldn't tell you for sure if it is though, ha! The slant on the nose roof was a little bit of a challenge when putting the roof panels in but I got them in, ha! I only have a flat nose u-haul trailer to compare with towing with my tundra and there is a big difference between that and my Neo. Neo pulls much better and don't feel as much wind resistance. Gas mileage wise, probably a wash, ha! I think my Tundra figures if it's gonna tow something you are only gonna get 10-11 mpg; don't care big or small, ha!

Neo has a roof tail fin option that I wish I would have added (I think); not sure if it would have any affect aerodynamics, kind of looks like it would.

Harry
foxontherun
Teardrop Master

Postby Grummy » Sat Aug 12, 2023 6:25 pm

Sounds like you know what your doing !

If was having such a lucky option to build a new/larger trailer, I would buy a FLAT FRONT and here is why...

Because I would build a matching "V-Nose Garage" up front. Imagine for a moment, a completely separate compartment area from living quarters to fit in all those "smellier" business end things. The AC unit, the Furnace, the Diesel/Propane, The site setup gear, The spare tarps, tools, Spare fuel for the bike etc.

The separation gives a guy a bit of a "firewall" environment for stuff that you do NOT want inside the trailer, Yes, it would take some care for load/balance and perhaps axle placements, but well worth the effort in my dream trailer. Oh, don't forget that you would need that extended tongue option to pull it off.

I built this one onto my V-Nose and after I was done, I wondered why in the heck did I not just make it taller ? (I know why actually... the risk of too much tongue weight!)

Now, on that single wheel cycle hauler.... Most cargo load floors are so low, it might be a real challenge to make that work. Of course if you have the trailer made, you could have them... in fact, I WOULD have THEM integrate the receiver tube mounting INTO the trailers framework because adding an aluminum plate to mount a steel receiver tube would be difficult unless there is already a lot more aluminum trailer frame there to work with.

Be sure to send us pictures !
Grummy
Teardrop Master

Postby flboy » Sat Aug 12, 2023 7:07 pm

Grummy, thanks for the thoughts. On the front V-Nose... I could build an interior head wall that squares up the cabin and then I would have a separated V-Nose (would add access doors). No need to build it out on the tongue. Easier fore me to get a V-nose and build an intetrior head wall to close off the V-Nose and then add exterior access.

I have seen folks remove the flooring in that part and put in a "grated floor" to allow air in and vent out the top through vents.

I may add this for the propane, Shower plumbing access, the 10,000 BTU inverter mini split AC unit can mount inside the V and the 3500W Inverter Generator also. Both will be able to breather in there. Many options if I add a few shelves in there. Tongue weight will be offset with water tanks in the rear as ballast.

On the tag along... good idea on the specs. If trailer is too low, I will have the factory figure out what I need to do to match the level carrier height and have them integrate the two receivers as you mention.

All good stuff.
Don (Flboy)

flboy
Gold Donating Member

Postby aggie79 » Sun Aug 13, 2023 10:52 am

Don,

If you are doing a custom build, and don't need rear access for bikes, canoes, etc., have you thought deleting the rear ramp/cargo doors and having a solid wall in back? It may make the build a little more challenging, especially if you have a narrow walk door, but it would add tremendous rigidity and take away a source of air and moisture infiltration.

I don't know if they have any Florida dealers, but Sundowner Trailers, in Oklahoma, build quality aluminum trailers. They also do a lot of custom trailers too.

Take care,
Tom
Tom (& Linda)
For build info on our former Silver Beatle teardrop:
Build Thread

aggie79
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Postby flboy » Sun Aug 13, 2023 1:11 pm

Hi Tom. I'll have to check out those trailers. I will likely go with barn doors in any case. I am going to create a utility area under the bed and will want outside access and an emergency egress. I may have a secondary interior wall just inside the doors.. not sure yet. Still going through layout scenarios in my head.
Don (Flboy)

flboy
Gold Donating Member

Postby hankaye » Mon Aug 14, 2023 10:17 am

flboy, Howdy;

With the Barn Doors, I'd insist that the Curb side door be the one that opens first.
Why? In case you have to pull over on a busy road you can access the rear of the trailer
for whatever reason without having to swing a door into oncoming traffic.

That's my 2 pennies worth.

hank

Striving for a less complicated life since 1949 ...
Every day I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've stayed alive.
hankaye
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby foxontherun » Mon Aug 14, 2023 11:32 am

Don, I will throw this idea out on your rear wall in response to what Tom mentioned about rigidity. I had a rear wall plan for mine that was like the attached picture. gallery/image.php?album_id=4863&image_id=172280

You could build a similar type wall and your hitch carrier could double as a porch. My trailer has a ramp door I use as a porch. We know you are good building out sliding trays for storage like you did on your pickup a while back. This would also allow you to have more natural light in trailer if that is something that appeals to you and your wife.

Harry :)
foxontherun
Teardrop Master

Postby flboy » Mon Aug 14, 2023 11:07 pm

Thanks for the ideas and comments all.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk
Don (Flboy)

flboy
Gold Donating Member

Postby McDave » Mon Jan 01, 2024 6:20 am

Hey Mr. Smith,
Happy New Year my friend. I guess it has been a while since I checked in here. So, going for build #4 are ya? Right on Mr.. When you find something that you like and are good at stick with it. What is the status of your big toy hauler? Has it sold ? Is there much interest in The CTC market in general? Do you think you can get a fair return on what you have invested? (not including labor, that would be hard to recover) :shock: Well, I wish you the best of luck selling that rig in a timely and profitable (?) manner. I'm gonna catch up to you one of these days while we are both out there doing our thing and I'll buy dinner at the best place in whatever town that might be. The only concrete plan I have 2024 is for Sturgis 8/1/24 - 8/6/24. I have my reservation for my favorite campsite in Custer Park. It is a ways from Sturgis and that's fine by me as I like to ride all the Black Hills area and I'm getting too old for the Buffalo Chip or Full Throttle or Glencoe. Custer is a nice base to ride from. I like to do 150 -200 miles a day and try to be back at camp before the sun comes up, doesn't always work that way but that's my normal plan. I try to avoid the rush hours as much as possible. I zig when they zag, but there are a few events that are must see for me. So anyway, Good Luck with your new endeavor, I'll be keeping an eye out for that build. It will be special, I'm sure of it. If you hear from Hank tell him I said Howdy. God Bless you and yours.

McDave
McDave
Donating Member

Postby flboy » Mon Jan 01, 2024 7:11 pm

McDave wrote:Hey Mr. Smith,
Happy New Year my friend. I guess it has been a while since I checked in here. So, going for build #4 are ya? Right on Mr.. When you find something that you like and are good at stick with it. What is the status of your big toy hauler? Has it sold ? Is there much interest in The CTC market in general? Do you think you can get a fair return on what you have invested? (not including labor, that would be hard to recover) :shock: Well, I wish you the best of luck selling that rig in a timely and profitable (?) manner. I'm gonna catch up to you one of these days while we are both out there doing our thing and I'll buy dinner at the best place in whatever town that might be. The only concrete plan I have 2024 is for Sturgis 8/1/24 - 8/6/24. I have my reservation for my favorite campsite in Custer Park. It is a ways from Sturgis and that's fine by me as I like to ride all the Black Hills area and I'm getting too old for the Buffalo Chip or Full Throttle or Glencoe. Custer is a nice base to ride from. I like to do 150 -200 miles a day and try to be back at camp before the sun comes up, doesn't always work that way but that's my normal plan. I try to avoid the rush hours as much as possible. I zig when they zag, but there are a few events that are must see for me. So anyway, Good Luck with your new endeavor, I'll be keeping an eye out for that build. It will be special, I'm sure of it. If you hear from Hank tell him I said Howdy. God Bless you and yours.

McDave

Hi McDave. Happy New Year. Good to hear from you. I haven't started on #4 yet although I planned to by now. My wife had some very serious health issues t we have been dealing with and we are also caring for her elderly mother who has dementia and is on Hospice. This has caused some deferred plans. All that has to come first. I was suppose to head out to Quartzsite, AZ next week and I was going to spend 6-8 weeks drifiting around in the Southwest.. but that is not going to happen this year now, so it appears.

In any case, hopefully I will be getting out to Nebraska this summer to spend time with my son and 4 grandsons. I haven't put the 7*18 on the market just yet as I have a few things I need to do to it to be ready. My goal now is in the next few months. Honestly, I do not expect to get near what I have in it in material nevermind the labor. Maybe slightly more than the empty cargo trailer costed me? The reality is the CTC it is now 7 years old and it will take a buyer who is willing to do all his/her own work and maintenance. No RV place would touch the trailer. They typically are overwhelmed with warranty work and wouldn't consider it.. That being the case, the potential buyers are probably few.. and typically, those types (like me), would be looking for a very good deal or they'd just build thier own.

If I have the 7x18 this summer, I will probably take it so my son's rather than the 6*12. Just nice to have the space since I wouldn't be boondocking much. If I do take it, I'll bring the Victory.... maybe could make it up to Sturgis (just 8 hours away from there)... So much up in the air right now with the Mother in Law... My wife's health is good for now (Thanks to much prayer I am sure) ... so I don't expect that to limit our travel. I do expect to do some nearby camping in the interim. I just need to be close to home and not gone for more than a few days at a time.

Again, really good to hear from you. Take care of yourself. Best wishes and God Bless.
Don (Flboy)

flboy
Gold Donating Member

Postby McDave » Sun Mar 24, 2024 8:03 am

Hey Don,
I am sorry to hear of the Mrs.'s health issues. And yes prayer is powerful. I will be saying one for you both. You are strong people and strong in your faith, so I believe you will be blessed with the strength to come through this intact. Amen.
I really haven't done a thing to my CTC since I originally "finished" it except some repairs. I had a tire come apart on the return trip from the Ironhorse Rally last year. It took the fender right off and some wiring and marker light. Left black marks down the side of the trailer but really quite minor all things considered. The crazy thing was I didn't even know it had happened till I pulled into town. I just happened to catch a glimpse of the trailer in the reflection of a store window on Main St. and thought that wheel looks different somehow. All the tread was gone along with the fender but it still held air just riding on the steel belts at 70mph. I remembered feeling a tug on that side about 20 miles from home, but when I checked the mirrors every thing seemed ok. Of course that was at about 4:30 am so I might not have been real observant and just wanting to get home. I never did find that fender. Bought a new tire and about a month later the other side started having a bad vibration even at low speed so I replaced that one too. I think they just got old as they didn't have more than 6 or 7000 miles on them. But I ramble on.
Take good care of your bride and yourself, if we get a chance to get together at Sturgis I am buying dinner and cocktails. I will try to be better about checking in here more often. I promise.

Your friend,
McDave
McDave
Donating Member

Postby flboy » Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:13 am

McDave, good to hear from you and thanks for the prayers. Much appreciated. I may be anchored for the summer as well and not make it West. Another questionable MRI requiring a biopsy which she is having today. Depending on the results, I will know how to plan. We are still hopeful it will be a benign finding since it is not in the original spot at all. The existing area where tumor was removed and then radiated looks good.

I decided to postpone the new build in any case. May find a good used Travel Trailer when the time comes. Will buy a higher end used trailer which will probably cost less than a build anyhow and then I can customize with solar and etc..

Glad to hear you were not stranded with a blow out. Trailer Tires will do that when they get old regardless of miles. I see so many trailers with blown tires along the highway especially when the roads heat up in the summer.

You take care and stay in touch. I will eventually get out that way. Just got to keep priority on my wife's health for now and stay close to home. I have planned a trip in September to Hawaii for a 7 day cruise around the Islands. It is a bucket list item for my wife in addition to celebrating our 40th. Hopefully nothing will get in the way of that trip. One day at a time. :-)

Sent from my KFONWI using Tapatalk
Don (Flboy)

flboy
Gold Donating Member

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions