How do I decide what windows to get and where to put them?

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

How do I decide what windows to get and where to put them?

Postby mikeyk101 » Tue Aug 22, 2023 10:28 pm

I just recently joined this forum after purchasing a used 7x16 R&R cargo trailer. My intention was just to use it as a cargo trailer for hauling my Goldwing trike. I have a Wildwood FSX toyhauler which I have used to camp for last 2 years while hauling my trike and traveling with my now 9 year old son. But after looking through the many threads on so many pages, I now have the urge to ditch the toy hauler and do a conversion on this cargo trailer. I do like traveling with toyhauler but it also has a lot of things I really find unnecessary and could do without. Biggest negative is that the ramp is to short and angle too steep. I figured out a solution of using several jack stands under ramp and then using extra ramps which actually works pretty slick, but still a hassle. I've already found that the trike loads very nicely into the cargo trailer with nothing extra needed. So I think Id like to get the conversion started and if it goes well, sell my Wildwood which is fully paid for and will easily cover any of the costs for the conversion.

First thing I want to do is remove the plywood walls and ceiling to do the insulation. But that is also probably the best time to install windows. I will probably want windows on both sides. One thing I don't like about the Wildwood is the one really large window with a medium sized window next to it. It's just too much and I rarely even use the windows to look out. I would have liked to put some cabinets above the windows for storage but there isn't enough room. I also keep the blinds closed probably more than 90% of the time. During the day to keep the sunlight out so it stays cooler in warmer weather and at night so I'm not putting on a show for the neighbors. But even with blinds closed, I am still able to get some natural light inside.

I think I could be happy with 2 wider, shorter windows on each side. But what should I use in my decision for selecting them and placing them. Would it be best to figure out my future floor plan first?

And one thing I have not seen in the many different threads that I think could be important. Right at head of the bed in my Wildwood, I have an emergency escape window. I like the idea but it's kind of useless because the bed is at the front of the trailer and so close to the side door. There is basically nothing between the bed and the door as it's a pretty open floorplan. I think it would have made more sense to have one somewhere towards the back which would be further from door and the ramp is closed and secured from outside. Am I overthinking this? If this is a good idea, any suggestions on where I might be able to buy one?
mikeyk101
Teardrop Inspector

Re: How do I decide what windows to get and where to put the

Postby flboy » Wed Aug 23, 2023 7:52 am

Sounds like a fun project. I do think you need to figure out your floorplan and desired cabinet placements, then decide where the windows would be best located after that. I placed my windows at a level where I could best see out of them while sitting down or laying in the bed.

You can use the ramp door for emergency egress by leaving it unlocked in the back and having some latch pins on the inside. That is how I did it in the smaller trailer.

In any case, good luck with your build.

Btw.. you can use cameras for viewing what is going on outside your trailer and only have a window on one side. They do not need to be across from eachother for ventilation if you have a Fantastic Fan or equivalent in the ceiling pulling air through. That will ventilate just fine.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk
Don (Flboy)

YouTube Video of Finished 6x12 Trailer:
https://youtu.be/6_-8cVdWUIA
YouTube Video of 7*18 with 2ft V-nose Trailer:
https://youtu.be/MUcMM86LA2g
flboy
Gold Donating Member

Postby bullchuck1 » Wed Aug 23, 2023 6:20 pm

Since my build has stalled THE FIRE/HUNT trailer , i wil put in my 2 CENTS .
On windows, I would put in a window on each side towards the back and a roof fan towards the front. Keep in mind to put in a long and narrow window , you will have to cut the wall studs and build a framework to brace things up. On a narrow- tall window can be put in between the studs. This is what I will be doing.
When you pull the walls off , look real good in the front corners for air gap
Another thing is run any wiring when the panneling is off.
Good luck and have fun.
Thanks Mark
bullchuck1
Teardrop Inspector

Postby mikeyk101 » Fri Aug 25, 2023 1:49 pm

I think I like the idea of the narrow tall ones to keep from having to cut studs. But I will probably work out floor plan first as suggested. Thanks for the responses.
mikeyk101
Teardrop Inspector

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions