Questions on cellular boosters

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Questions on cellular boosters

Postby halbraun » Sun Oct 22, 2023 9:20 am

Has anyone had luck with cell boosters on their cargo trailer? Especially some of the new cheaper ones?

Even with good signals outside, the metal box seems to block out a lot of signal.. so I want to be able to use my hotspot to watch tv on the iPad, etc. Wi-Fi signals are almost always crappy and/or overloaded, so I have decided to bump cell instead of Wi-Fi.

My trailer is 7x14, so getting a lot of distance between inside and outside antennas might be an issue? Since I will only use it stationary, I don’t have to necessarily limit output to mobile usage..

Please share any success stories, issues, how to’s you may have experienced.. and any suggestions for which equipment you used would be helpful. I would prefer to use the $149 ones instead of the $549 ones.

Thanks for your input..
halbraun
Teardrop Builder

Re: Questions on cellular boosters

Postby halbraun » Mon Oct 23, 2023 10:02 pm

No one?
halbraun
Teardrop Builder

Postby bdosborn » Mon Oct 23, 2023 11:26 pm

You wont find much info on cell boosters here, its not a real tech oriented forum. The Ford Transit forum has a nice long thread on boosters where you might find some good info:
https://www.fordtransitusaforum.com/threads/routers-cant-be-without-internet-nature-its-all-over-me-get-it-off-of-me.94075/

Bruce
2009 6.5'X11' TTT - Boxcar
All it takes is a speck of faith and a few kilowatts of sweat and grace.
Boxcar Build
aVANger Build
bdosborn
Donating Member

Postby halbraun » Tue Oct 24, 2023 6:30 am

Thanks!
halbraun
Teardrop Builder

Postby hankaye » Tue Oct 24, 2023 7:05 am

halbraun, Howdy;

halbraun wrote:No one?

What's the rush??? Sometimes folks take awhile to get here.
I just saw your post but, I gots nuttin' for ya about boosters.
Some folks only come on here once a week some even less.
Shame but it's not Grand Central Train station at rush hour
but it is what it is. "Patience grasshopper" fits here well, eh?

hank
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949 ...
Every day I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've stayed alive.
hankaye
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby halbraun » Tue Oct 24, 2023 8:19 am

Hank.. thanks for the input.. I am putting final touches on the remodel that the missus want in order to go with on my upcoming trip (perfect time in the fall) and she really wants adequate cell service/internet.

I need to make a decision in the next week and get it mounted before we pull out the driveway. There is a ton of information on the boosters but mostly provided by the manufacturers that sound like snake oil.. I was hoping to get real use input before dropping the $$$ on an ineffective solution..

Cheers,

Hal
halbraun
Teardrop Builder

Postby Gulfcoast » Tue Oct 24, 2023 9:39 am

I looked at all the off brands that I could find, and went with the weBoost Drive Reach on Amazon.
Last edited by Gulfcoast on Tue Oct 24, 2023 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
6x12 cargo trailer - Mini Split A/C - Starlink - TMobile home internet
Gulfcoast
Teardrop Master

Postby featherliteCT1 » Tue Oct 24, 2023 4:51 pm

I use the Weboost "Drive Reach" model that is moveable from my trailer to my vehicle. Cost $500. If there is any cell signal at all, the unit usually adds one bar to my reception. It helps.

https://www.weboost.com/products/drive-reach
featherliteCT1
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby halbraun » Wed Oct 25, 2023 10:32 am

Thanks for the input! I’ve found a King Booster Pro LTE on Marketplace for $175. It is the Weboost rebranded. Will get it installed in the next day or so and will report back
halbraun
Teardrop Builder

Postby featherliteCT1 » Wed Oct 25, 2023 6:23 pm

halbraun wrote: will report back

Good deal. :thumbsup:

Please let us know how it works
featherliteCT1
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby halbraun » Sat Oct 28, 2023 7:08 am

I am leaving shortly but can tell you that tests in my driveway are pretty damn good! I live out in the sticks, and have to use Wi-Fi calling at home as we get about 1 bar lte. In the trailer, with the door open I could manage about 3 Mbps data download per Speedtest.net if any.

After mounting the outdoor antenna near the front, and placing the inside antenna near the back of the trailer to help prevent interference, I was able to get downloads up to 60 Mbps and easily watch YouTubeTV in the trailer with the door closed.

Average speeds range between 26-35 depending on time of day and congestion but I am more than pleased! Overall I went from 1 bar LTE to 2-3 bars of 5G..

I purchased their 12vdc lighter plugin to power it so no 110 needed, so on this initial reaction I would say the weboost drive reach with Omni direction antenna (king extended pro lte) works as advertised. If you watch Craigslist or Facebook marketplace you can find them cheaper as well..

Thanks!
halbraun
Teardrop Builder

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions