Remodel Trailer1 or build Trailer2?

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Remodel Trailer1 or build Trailer2?

Postby MartMX » Wed Jan 24, 2024 11:28 pm

Trailer1 is a 16'x7' (6'6" high) barn door CTC that has a full bathroom and uses a cassette toilet. It has only 2 small windows and an outside mounted water heater. I once was told I couldn't come back to a campground as home-built trailers are not allowed. It works great and I wish I used it more often.

Thinking of making some improvements to make it more 'acceptable' at picky campgrounds - add windows, enclose the water heater.... OR
Should I build Trailer2? If I did, I would order one a little taller, a little longer, put all utilities (water heater, etc. inside), and have more windows and a ramp door. It can be fun to build, but it does take a bit of time and effort.

Have any of you run into the problem of having a 'home-built' camper trailer at a campground (not having the RVIA sticker)? I think if it look more like a regular camper, maybe add decals, it would be less of an issue.
Attachments
Trailer2b.jpg
Trailer1 shower
Trailer2b.jpg (98.65 KiB) Viewed 408 times
Trailer1.jpg
Trailer1
Trailer1.jpg (163.04 KiB) Viewed 408 times
MartMX
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Remodel Trailer1 or build Trailer2?

Postby Modstock » Thu Jan 25, 2024 9:50 pm

Haven't had any problems with mine.

I wouldn't build a new trailer just cause of one campground. Maybe a few more "escape" windows couldn't hurt.

Sent from my SM-A115AP using Tapatalk
Modstock
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby MartMX » Thu Jan 25, 2024 11:41 pm

Yea, I probably should just make this one better. A couple of large windows in the back, and cover the water heater. I had it inside at first, but these don't vent completely out the top. It vents out the sides, too and it kept activating my propane/CO alarm. So, I just mounted the whole thing outside.
MartMX
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Squigie » Fri Jan 26, 2024 10:52 am

Sounds like your complaints about this one are minor and don't justify scratch building.
I would modify what you've got and make it what you want.
Squigie
The 300 Club

Postby lionbill » Sat Jan 27, 2024 10:31 am

Battle Row Campground (Nassau County, NY) needed to see if there was a second means of egress in a CTC.
Nothing was said about it being home made.

Bill
lionbill
Teardrop Inspector

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions