CONVERTING DANZER ENCLOSED TRAILER into Camper

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

CONVERTING DANZER ENCLOSED TRAILER into Camper

Postby southpennrailroad » Mon May 22, 2006 11:03 pm

Danzer enclosed trailer ready at factory. They said it would be a month. took one week. Will have to leave it there till day after fathers day. Hagerstown, MD.

I am definetly purchasing a utility trailer to fix into a camper. I will definetly be building a tear with the trailer I do have now that I showed previously. I will be picking up the enclosed trailer the day after fathers day. It is as I was informed today that it is built and I could pick it up this week. That was quick. I will pick it up straight from the factory in Hagerstown MD. I did this so I could use the destination fee money I am saving to use as part of our vacation trip to Harrisburg, Pa money. Only added cost is a forty mile longer trip to Harrisburg. But that will be all interstate driving.

DANZER TRAILER 6x10 with back doors opened, it will be 6x13 with one large window added to expansion section. Cost: $2,502 includes the taxes and tags. Made payments without intrest since September 11, 2005. Dealer understood my needs and worked out to get it for me even without completing the payments. Still owe $490.00. Smouse Trailers Scottdale, Pa. South of New Stanton, Pa.

I will definetly be showing how I plan on building the add on in photos.
Long time researching the abandoned South Pennsylvania Railroad along the Pennsylvania Turnpike. God will guide me. As he has done so in the past. southpennrailroad.com
southpennrailroad
500 Club

Postby Dee Bee » Tue May 23, 2006 6:39 am

Keep the pics coming

Dee Bee
Grace happens...
Dee Bee
500 Club

Postby madjack » Tue May 23, 2006 8:02 am

SPR, this type of project had generated a lot of interest...looking forward to more.................................... 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby mwolford » Tue May 23, 2006 9:22 am

Hi,
I don't know how complicated you want to make the conversion, but here is an interior picture of my 6' X 10' Haulmark. We use it to haul our astronomy "schtuff" to a dark site, then can use the bunk for a while as we wait for darkness. The table serves as a place for charts and the laptop. Everything folds against the walls, so very little floor space is lost for use as an actual cargo trailer.

If any of these ideas would be helpful, I can send (or post) more photos.

Mike
[img]http://www.tnttt.com/gallery/image.php?image_id=8770[img][/img]
mwolford
Silver Donating Member

Postby elmo » Tue May 23, 2006 9:41 am

I plan on doing the same thing some day! I first have to finish my 5 other projects first.

This is one website I saved for a couple of ideas.

http://home.ix.netcom.com/~ssauer40/cargomate.html

mwolford, I do like the way you have the bed to fold up. Do you have more details/pictures.

Have a great day everyone!

Elmer out
It's scary when you start making the same noises as your coffee maker.
elmo
Donating Member

Postby mwolford » Tue May 23, 2006 10:25 am

I've posted a few more pictures of the Haulmark mods in my album.
(It will be interesting to see if the link actually works!!!)
Hope that the photos help. Holler if you would like more.
Mike

http://www.mikenchell.com/forums/album_personal.php?user_id=2247
mwolford
Silver Donating Member

Postby southpennrailroad » Wed May 24, 2006 5:31 pm

madjack wrote:SPR, this type of project had generated a lot of interest...looking forward to more.................................... 8)

I decided to up the date to this saturday to pick up the trailer. Today I picked up the plates. They will leave the trailer outside their gate and I will pick it up. I know the new smell will be great (awfull) so leaving it open for a few weeks will air it out. I will also work on expandig the back as well. Hopefully. YES I WILL SEND PHOTOS. LOTS OF PHOTOS! I to love lots of photos. Photos are good.
Long time researching the abandoned South Pennsylvania Railroad along the Pennsylvania Turnpike. God will guide me. As he has done so in the past. southpennrailroad.com
southpennrailroad
500 Club

Postby dwgriff1 » Wed May 24, 2006 6:54 pm

I have a 6 by 12 box trailer I use in my work (ceramic tile and counter tops), though I "officially" retired.

I've thought a lot about converting it, but alas I have a nice 22' travel trailer and a tear in the making, so it would be redundant.

But I still find the idea intriguing. The biggest downside to mine is that it is about 68 or 69" wide inside, and I am 72" top to base. My wife is shorter, so maybe I could sleep diagonally.

I think some of the challenge would be to keep it looking "commercial" so it would be a stealth camper!

dave
dwgriff1
500 Club

Postby Sonetpro » Wed May 24, 2006 9:39 pm

Glad to see your going to get started. I know you've been waiting a long time. Are you excited?
}><)))'> ~--------------·´¯) SteveT
You don't know what the limit's are until you take it there.ImageImageImage
Sonetpro
Site Admin

Postby southpennrailroad » Wed May 24, 2006 10:32 pm

dwgriff1 wrote:I have a 6 by 12 box trailer I use in my work (ceramic tile and counter tops), though I "officially" retired.

I've thought a lot about converting it, but alas I have a nice 22' travel trailer and a tear in the making, so it would be redundant.

But I still find the idea intriguing. The biggest downside to mine is that it is about 68 or 69" wide inside, and I am 72" top to base. My wife is shorter, so maybe I could sleep diagonally.

I think some of the challenge would be to keep it looking "commercial" so it would be a stealth camper!

dave

Thats my plan as well. While it still looks like a utility trailer, I could just pull over on any residential street and sleep. However at a camp ground it is expanded into a camper. I've read on other forums that some communities don't like campers on their streets.
southpennrailroad
500 Club

Postby southpennrailroad » Fri May 26, 2006 10:27 pm

Look what I just brought home from the factory in Hagerstown, Md. (see the date on the photo) Trucks drove past me and no problems. I even stoped and got my money owed me from books I made and sold on consignment It helped pay for the trip. Extra fuel and even eating was covered by the stop in Bedford, Pa. Over all great trip. Fun. Now to get down to building the inside of this trailer and making it into camper . Then I will be able to convert my old box style trailer into a tear. More fun.
Last edited by southpennrailroad on Fri May 26, 2006 10:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
southpennrailroad
500 Club

Postby waywardson » Fri May 26, 2006 10:38 pm

OK, I'm cofused,
Are you building a trailer ?
I thought you planned to add components to interior of utility trailer,

George / Waywardson
waywardson
Silver Donating Member

Postby southpennrailroad » Fri May 26, 2006 10:42 pm

waywardson wrote:OK, I'm cofused,
Are you building a trailer ?
I thought you planned to add components to interior of utility trailer,

George / Waywardson

Ok I'm excited and said the wrong thing. :oops: Thanks for the notice. I fixed the wording. After I get this trailer converted into a camper, I will be building a tear. I have no place to keep my material on the South Penn so I have this trailer to store my research material while I build the tear. No room in the house. Plus I can stand in this and not in a tear. Need room!
southpennrailroad
500 Club

Installed electric outlets in trailer

Postby southpennrailroad » Wed May 31, 2006 8:50 pm

Installed two electric outlets to the inside of the trailer this weekend. One in bed area and the other in front where galley will be installed. Will up load photos soon. Used 12 guage wire. Have to get a shore line connector, have hole cut out already. It seems the hole in where the tail light is located had extra hole that was covered over for a possible extra light to be installed was perfect spot for adding the hole for the shore line connector. Will purchase connector from Greybar in Pittsburgh. Purchased one already but it was bad as one of the prongs was broken. Acquired it from Shreck Campers in Apollo, Pa. They took it back. Bought other things with the refund.
southpennrailroad
500 Club

Box Trailer

Postby crankshaft » Wed May 31, 2006 11:50 pm

I thought I was in a boat by myself with this type of trailer.. I finished mine about a year ago and have had several nice camping rips. Sorry I don't know how to post the photos but I've sent you some via your e-mail address.

Good camping..

Crank shaft. in San Diego.
crankshaft
Teardrop Advisor

Next

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions