CONVERTING DANZER ENCLOSED TRAILER into Camper

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Postby PresTx82 » Thu Jun 01, 2006 11:25 am

SPR,

Upload your conversion trailer progress in your album. We're all interested!
Mark
El Paso, Texas
PresTx82
500 Club

Re: Installed electric outlets in trailer

Postby southpennrailroad » Thu Jun 01, 2006 7:26 pm

southpennrailroad wrote:Installed two electric outlets to the inside of the trailer this weekend. One in bed area and the other in front where galley will be installed. Will up load photos soon. Used 12 guage wire. Have to get a shore line connector, have hole cut out already. It seems the hole in where the tail light is located had extra hole that was covered over for a possible extra light to be installed was perfect spot for adding the hole for the shore line connector. Will purchase connector from Greybar in Pittsburgh. Purchased one already but it was bad as one of the prongs was broken. Acquired it from Shreck Campers in Apollo, Pa. They took it back. Bought other things with the refund.

Got the electric up this afternoon. Photo here shows the shore connector and one of the recepticles. Used the recepticle to plug in sawzaw to cut short the old bed frames I had when I worked for a matress company. I cut the steel 69" for support for the bed board barely visible. I used camper pop up trailer type recepticles. Great for non shorting out wireing.very little room for a short to occour. Next project: Screen door for side door. I work for a window company. :twisted: 8)

Here is a close up of the recepticle. No chance of wires touching each other or metal trailer walls. Used stranded 12 guage wire. Cap on left holds everything in so vibration will not loosen connections.

Long time researching the abandoned South Pennsylvania Railroad along the Pennsylvania Turnpike. God will guide me. As he has done so in the past. southpennrailroad.com
southpennrailroad
500 Club

Postby southpennrailroad » Sat Jun 03, 2006 1:13 pm

I just installed the home made screen to fit the side door. Piano hindge used. Will swing outward just like the main door. I work for a window company and on monday will be getting the screen frames and screen to snap onto the wood frame seen here. It needs a brace to help square it up from draging onto the step. Will remain on the frame while side door is closed. Will remain open when we sleep as no windows will be installed. Also will be adding weather strip to seal out bugs. Does not interfear with main door when traveling. I added an inside door jamb for the screen door.

Next job will be to add a kitchen surface just to the right inside the door against the front bulkhead wall. Will be at least 13" deep. May not go acros the whole front but will be large enough working area. Got a damaged 3/4 birch 4x8 for 1/2 price today from Lowes.

Long time researching the abandoned South Pennsylvania Railroad along the Pennsylvania Turnpike. God will guide me. As he has done so in the past. southpennrailroad.com
southpennrailroad
500 Club

Postby madjack » Sat Jun 03, 2006 1:33 pm

...that really looks nice...but don't step on your hat :D ...I hope Catrinka has been watching this thrad...has anyone heard or seen her lately.....
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby southpennrailroad » Sat Jun 03, 2006 2:52 pm

Here is the template for the counter top. That rule layng on the floor is measuring the 18" mark from the wall. I have that paper very snug against the wall. The widest point is 20.7/8 in the center curve. A company across from where I work makes counter tops. I think I might get a good deal with them.

southpennrailroad
500 Club

Postby southpennrailroad » Tue Jun 06, 2006 2:20 pm

Here is the finished door with added screens that are removable. :applause:

Proabably won't use the expansion part out the back doors but I think the trailer is ready for the trip on Fathers day. But if I can I will try and get the back done. No sense rushing it and not getting it done correctly. Still need some thought put into it. I guess since I really had no trailer during the winter waiting period, I thought what might be a good idea is really a tough thing to get accomplished. But considering I wasn't supose to have this done at this time as I wasn't even supose to pick up the trailer until that monday after Fathers day. At least now I can have the screen door used for air this camping trip.
southpennrailroad
500 Club

Postby southpennrailroad » Sat Jun 10, 2006 2:02 pm

Just took this shot of the Danzer trailer with two twin AEROLITE air matress's placed on boards. I was able to place them in either this position or turned 1/4 head towards the back doors position. Little tight but with air it's possible to squeeze them side by side. No kitchen shelf yet. May not be until I return from Harrisburg.

The support boards are not yet safe, I did try it and was it was able to hold me but will put in extra support today after I pick up the wife this evening. Don't want to waste a trip with fuel and all. I might just sleep in it tonight. Used two old cut bed frame supports cut to fit across from left to right.
No the bucket eneath the bed is not supporting the bed.

southpennrailroad
500 Club

Postby s4son » Sat Jun 10, 2006 5:14 pm

southpennrailroad wrote:No the bucket eneath the bed is not supporting the bed.

I thought that was the porta-pottie. :lol:

Nice looking trailer, I like the idea of converting ready made trailer but it doesn't look like it would be much easier (at least for me anyway).

Scott F.
Are we there yet?
ImageImage
s4son
Donating Member

Postby southpennrailroad » Sat Jun 10, 2006 6:09 pm

That PP is up the front drivers side and I studied the options I had cost and all and this was the best I could do just before going on a vacation. This tailer saves my histric papers and isalready for me to show off my documents as well as a camper. Saves me on hotels and can be used on quick weekend state park triips. Also private property owners allow me free stays on their lands. I will not lose money withth is idea.

Thanks for viewing it.
southpennrailroad
500 Club

Postby southpennrailroad » Sat Jun 10, 2006 8:08 pm

If I want more room inside the trailer, I just take the inside airbed and board out and add it to the doors.This gives me 7 more feet of walking room inside the trailer. The previous posted photo only left me with 4 feet and once I add a counter I would only have 2'10" of floor room.

southpennrailroad
500 Club

Postby southpennrailroad » Thu Jun 22, 2006 8:21 pm

Just got back from Gilford Pinchot SP Harrisburg, Pa. Weather was great and with the traier it worked out great. Wife wants to take another trip even if on a two day trip to a local campground. Wife says she is happy with it and is not at all interested in the fact that our Danzer trailer looks small compared to other motor homes i the campground. Says its ours! :R Now have to work on other additions I wanted before going. Will improve on those added features to make the trailer more roomy.
southpennrailroad
500 Club

Postby catrinka » Fri Jun 23, 2006 9:42 pm

I'm doing something similar. But I have put a wall between the back doors and the interior. The back doors will open to a galley, similar to a teardrop, and the interior, accessible by a side door will be the sleeping area. My dad recently took pitty on me and hauled to his place and is completing it for me. I should have it back in a couple of weeks and will post pics then.
catrinka
500 Club

Postby southpennrailroad » Sat Jun 24, 2006 7:11 am

catrinka wrote:I'm doing something similar. But I have put a wall between the back doors and the interior. The back doors will open to a galley, similar to a teardrop, and the interior, accessible by a side door will be the sleeping area. My dad recently took pitty on me and hauled to his place and is completing it for me. I should have it back in a couple of weeks and will post pics then.

Wife is a little spooked about fires and I had to take that into consideration. Also if it rains she doesn't want a tarp while cooking. So with the expansion plans at the later date, I will have room for inside cooking area in the front. Used it this past week and it was great. Once the back is added it will have an escape hatch that is similar to a bus wndow escape hatch. Once I have that set up, I will show how it will work. Like a dump truck hatch but will latch secure until needed.
southpennrailroad
500 Club

Postby toyota_mdt_tech » Thu Nov 23, 2006 11:01 pm

elmo wrote:I plan on doing the same thing some day! I first have to finish my 5 other projects first.

This is one website I saved for a couple of ideas.

http://home.comcast.net/~ssauer40/cargo ... omate.html

Have a great day everyone!

Elmer out

Elmer, see you found my webpage! Small world. I have been gettign lots of emails all of a sudden with questions about my trailer build off and my adds. And for those who was wondering if it works out oK in extreme cold weather with the 20,000 BTU furnace, yes! Here is some harsh enironment I had it in.
[/img]
Last edited by toyota_mdt_tech on Sun Jan 30, 2011 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
American Tragedys
12/07/1941 * 09/11/2001 * 11/04/2008
toyota_mdt_tech
Teardrop Inspector

Postby wolfix » Fri Nov 24, 2006 8:14 am

My concern is using the door that comes with an enclosed trailer. What if someone comes along and shuts it, uses the bars to lock it???
And I want to be able to pull into a WalMart and set up and take a nap for a few hours without anyone knowing I am even in it.

So the plans I am working on consists of having the rear doors of the trailer not installed. Then adding a wall in the back with a door in it and a window. Then on the sides of the trailer have larger windows for fire escape and light.

I have even considered leaving a ramp door on, then just dropping it when "camped." That way the trailer would be more secure when I was not around.

Excuse the drawings......Image
"I am the guy our parents warned us about."
wolfix
Teardrop Master

PreviousNext

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions