Winter camping in New Zealand

...the place to share tales of your travels and pics of your adventures...

Winter camping in New Zealand

Postby Py0tr » Sun Aug 01, 2010 4:34 am

Well the organisation has paid off. At 3:50pm on Friday we decided to make a run for it, 25 minutes later fully packed and hitched up, we pulled out of the drive and headed south.
An hour and a half later we were pulling into our favourite campsite...In the dark. It was 6 degrees C outside but no wind and a crisp sky full to bursting with undiluted stars.
Even in the dark we had the whole show set up and pegged down in another 20 minutes, and with the kettle puffing merrily on the gas ring we had arrived.
I know we don't have winter quite like you do in North America but suffice to say that it got a bit colder before dawn. We slept fully clothed, but still without any other heating and were quite snug and comfortable.
We decided not to stay for a second night but made a gentle trip home, rested and ready for another week of grey skies, rain and a classroom full of wonderful little monsters.
Is there anyone else in the southern hemisphere camping in winter? Do you take along any form of heater? Our trailer has no power at all and I'm not sure I want to go that route as keeping it simple keeps costs down nicely.
Py0tr
Teardrop Master

Postby Shadow Catcher » Sun Aug 01, 2010 5:54 am

We have tent camped at well below O degrees C in a tent, It just takes decent covers (sleeping bags) and we slept in poly pro thermal underwear. The new trailer is set up with provisions set up for a small Pelonis ceramic heater connected to the thermostat. Because you start out with simple no electric does not mean you have to stay with it. your little trailer could be easily modified to include a simple 220 AC and 12V DC power system.
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Postby S. Heisley » Sun Aug 01, 2010 9:43 am

Bob Henry has a bunch of snow pictues. He'll probably chime in soon.

Got any pictures of your trip?
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby goldcoop » Sun Aug 01, 2010 12:12 pm

Heavily insulated Teardrop & a couple of candles work for me.

Cheers,

Coop
goldcoop
Silver Donating Member

Return to Trips, Pics and Hiway Tales