Two weeks and three National Parks

...the place to share tales of your travels and pics of your adventures...

Postby grizz » Thu Jul 15, 2010 4:14 pm

I like that.

Is this an old truck, or a tourist transporter on modern mechanicals ?

Greetings from England.

Rian.

Hoping to get it all done in time.
grizz
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby john » Thu Jul 15, 2010 4:57 pm

Someone will have more info than me, but both Yellowstone National Park (yellow) and Glacier National Park (red) use them.

They started using them in the 30's for transporting people around the park but have since heavily renovated the fleet on some Ford heavy duty platform. They no longer sport manual transmissions and now use automatics.

The parks managed to retain the mystic.
Build I -- Scenic ---
http://www.flickr.com/photos/8121727@N04/
Goto the Tear Build file

Build II -- Scenic II ---
viewtopic.php?t=29603

Build III -- Scenic Solo---
viewtopic.php?f=50&t=50324

Travel Blog----Now without Political Commentary
http://polifrogblog.blogspot.com/2009/0 ... -2009.html

The Constitution was ratified, not an interpretation thereof...

Penomeli ikibobo
john
john
500 Club

Postby B52 » Thu Jul 15, 2010 5:33 pm

grizz wrote:I like that.

Is this an old truck, or a tourist transporter on modern mechanicals ?

These are beautiful vehicles.
A little more info:
http://www.seriouswheels.com/cars/top-1 ... ed-Bus.htm :D
Jim

Stumble through life; fat, dumb and happy!!
B52
Teardrop Master

Postby bbarry » Sun Jul 25, 2010 6:47 am

Jim,

From the dates on your pics, it looks like we were following right behind you! We were at Custer SP the weekend of the 26th, then stayed at Canyon in Yellowstone for the next week. Like you, we only saw one other teardrop: a 4x8 behind a little Suzuki. Looks like you had as much fun as we did...

Brad
Brad

Jack of all trades, master of none.

Kampster build thread
bbarry
The 300 Club

Postby corncountry » Sun Jul 25, 2010 7:43 am

Brad,
Glad you had a great trip. We only spent three days in Yellowstone, but got to see a lot of wildlife.
I counted nine teardrops, seen on the road. Only got to talk to one couple, from Washington. Saw them at a rest stop.
Hope to meet you at Crawford in Sept.

Jim
corncountry
Donating Member

Postby bbarry » Sun Jul 25, 2010 7:49 am

Nine teardrops? Oops, got your post confused with another! We still hope to make it to Crawford in September...I'm waiting for some work plans to solidify so I know whether I'll be in town or not. Hope to see you then.
Brad

Jack of all trades, master of none.

Kampster build thread
bbarry
The 300 Club

Postby hotrod » Sun Aug 01, 2010 12:12 am

Ive been blessed enough to have been to these places, your pictures are great! Thanks! we need to go back out soon... My wife to would /will have a caniption fit going over logan pass. Plan on beartooth pass between red lodge MT and yellowstone.. awesome....
Paul
Some people are like slinkys.. not much good for anything but they still make you smile when you push them down the stairs....
hotrod
TILT
TILT

Postby corncountry » Sun Aug 01, 2010 9:54 am

hotrod wrote:Ive been blessed enough to have been to these places, your pictures are great! Thanks! we need to go back out soon... My wife to would /will have a caniption fit going over logan pass. Plan on beartooth pass between red lodge MT and yellowstone.. awesome....

Diane had read about the Going to the Sun road and was afraid to travel it, so I told her we would travel the Logan pass road. She didn't make the connection until she saw the red bus. After we were on the road she loved it. She took most of the pictures by sticking the camara out the window and snaping the pix while looking straight ahead.
I have always wanted to travel the Beartooth Highway, just never had the time to do it.

Jim
corncountry
Donating Member

Postby hotrod » Sun Aug 01, 2010 8:16 pm

corncountry wrote:
hotrod wrote:Ive been blessed enough to have been to these places, your pictures are great! Thanks! we need to go back out soon... My wife to would /will have a caniption fit going over logan pass. Plan on beartooth pass between red lodge MT and yellowstone.. awesome....

Diane had read about the Going to the Sun road and was afraid to travel it, so I told her we would travel the Logan pass road. She didn't make the connection until she saw the red bus. After we were on the road she loved it. She took most of the pictures by sticking the camara out the window and snaping the pix while looking straight ahead.
I have always wanted to travel the Beartooth Highway, just never had the time to do it.

Jim

beartooth isnt quite as "hairy" as going to the sun road.. It is funny tho, my wife gets nervous in the black hills.. :lol: she needs to get out in the real mountains. Last trip to yellowstone beartooth was still closed, early spring..
Paul
Some people are like slinkys.. not much good for anything but they still make you smile when you push them down the stairs....
hotrod
TILT
TILT

Postby Bob Dodgens » Mon Aug 02, 2010 10:56 am

My wife flipped out going across Wolf Creek, course we were in an 18 wheeler at the time, and was many years ago. They have made it much easier now. Love the pics of your travels. Bob D
The Streaks, Relaxing Naturally
Bob Dodgens
Donating Member

Postby hotrod » Mon Aug 02, 2010 6:43 pm

Bob Dodgens wrote:My wife flipped out going across Wolf Creek, course we were in an 18 wheeler at the time, and was many years ago. They have made it much easier now. Love the pics of your travels. Bob D

wolf creek pass had its own song! :lol:
Paul
hotrod
TILT
TILT

Previous

Return to Trips, Pics and Hiway Tales