locked the keys inside

...the place to share tales of your travels and pics of your adventures...

locked the keys inside

Postby retiredcamper » Sun Apr 29, 2007 1:21 pm

:x
I locked my keys inside my teardrop yesterday. It was late in the day and I stepped outside for a moment and as soon as I closed the door I knew I forgot the keys inside. I have an extra set that I keep in the coin tray in my car but the keys to the car were also inside the teardrop.

To make a long story short I began to attract attention as I was trying to "break in". Within a few minutes I had a dozen visitors and just as many tool boxes with all kinds of instuments to break inside. One guy said why not try someone elses keys. He looked at the lock and looked at his keys and inserted one. To everyones surprise it opened the lock.

Did I luck out or what? :)

P.S. I now have the key code on my car door memorized so if it happens again I can get inside my car without a key.
:thumbsup:
retiredcamper
Teardrop Master

Postby Micro469 » Sun Apr 29, 2007 9:24 pm

That sounds Like a good reason to have a passthrough from galley to cabin...... 8)
John
Micro469
Super Lifetime Member

Postby Mary K » Sun Apr 29, 2007 9:41 pm

:thinking: :thinking: :thinking:

This story does not give me warm fuzzies... :no:

"why not try someone elses keys... looked at his keys and inserted one. To everyones surprise it opened the lock. "

I mean, I'm happy you didnt have to break a window to get in but, to think someone could just try their own key and get in your TD. Scary!

But this story has a happy ending so YEAH!! Now..whats that code??? :lol:

Mk
Mary K

I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve. Bilbo Baggins
Mary K
6000 Club
6000 Club

Postby Micro469 » Sun Apr 29, 2007 9:54 pm

Mary K wrote::thinking: :thinking: :thinking:

"why not try someone elses keys... looked at his keys and inserted one. To everyones surprise it opened the lock. "

I mean, I'm happy you didnt have to break a window to get in but, to think someone could just try their own key and get in your TD. Scary!

Mk

Most cheap locks... and yes, RV doors have cheap locks will open with keys from other locks. I do network cabling for a lot of companies, and have a set of keys for most network cabinet manufacturers, the same key will fit into every cabinet they make..... so much for security..... :lol:
John
Micro469
Super Lifetime Member

Postby Gaelen » Sun Apr 29, 2007 9:54 pm

> I mean, I'm happy you didnt have to break a window to get in but, to think someone could just try their own key and get in your TD. Scary! <

Mk, mmm...one of the funniest/scariest experiences I ever had was in a parking lot at a dog show. At least half the exhibitors at the time were using Dodge Caravans or Plymouth Voyagers, and they ALL looked alike within the narrow Chrysler color palatte. One of my friends went looking for her van and we were accidentally one row over from where we should have been. So she hit her remote door opener--and to our not-warm-fuzzy-surprise, lights began flashing and hatches popped on at least three Voyagers/Caravans within range.

Apparently, teardrop doors aren't the only things keyed alike. :shock: [/quote]
Gaelen
2006-2011: '79 SunLine Sun Spot
now: '05 Finntec homebuilt teardrop
My blogs: Life Out Loud, Kitchen Jam and Dog Trainer's Log.
Syracuse Dog Training and @gaelen2 on Twitter
Gaelen
500 Club

Postby LiLREd » Sun Apr 29, 2007 10:11 pm

Mary K wrote::thinking: :thinking: :thinking:

Mk

It's been known to happen with cars too. I read a story where a woman went to a mall to pick up her daughters car. Went to a toyota that was the same color, same year, same model. The key opened the door and started the car. She drove it home and the police came knocking on her door ready to arrest her for car theft.
LiLREd
Teardrop Builder

Postby Gage » Sun Apr 29, 2007 10:22 pm

My doors won't close if they are locked. :thinking:
Image Image Image
Remember 'Teardrop Time'.......Take your time, you don't have to have it finished NOW.
Gage
8000 Club
8000 Club

Re: locked the keys inside

Postby madjack » Sun Apr 29, 2007 11:23 pm

retiredcamper wrote::x
I locked my keys inside my teardrop yesterday. It was late in the day and I stepped outside for a moment and as soon as I closed the door I knew I forgot the keys inside. I have an extra set that I keep in the coin tray in my car but the keys to the car were also inside the teardrop.

To make a long story short I began to attract attention as I was trying to "break in". Within a few minutes I had a dozen visitors and just as many tool boxes with all kinds of instuments to break inside. One guy said why not try someone elses keys. He looked at the lock and looked at his keys and inserted one. To everyones surprise it opened the lock.

Did I luck out or what? :)

P.S. I now have the key code on my car door memorized so if it happens again I can get inside my car without a key.
:thumbsup:

...much, MUCH better than using a brick...I have found that lotssa keys will open lotssa locks they weren't meant too...true story...while visiting my Mom, one Thanksgiving, I used her car, a '72 Olds 88 to go to the store...when I returned to the car, I unlocked it and sat down...the ignition key wouldn't work...finally I realized I was in the wrong car and hers was a couple of more down...I got out, got my couple of bags of groceries, locked the door and...nonchalantly...went to my car and left...quickly...........
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

truck keys

Postby retiredcamper » Mon Apr 30, 2007 12:08 am

Wow, I"m surprizd at all the replies with similar stories. When I drove long haul the com[any had all Volvo trucks and they ordered them so only four keys would fit all trucks. It was a big joke amoung us drivers to see how many other trucks we could get into. But I thought it was just the company that I drove for that did this. I wonder how many master keys Volvo trucks use?
:o
retiredcamper
Teardrop Master

Postby asianflava » Mon Apr 30, 2007 12:53 am

We were at a cruise in. One guy tried his key in another guy's truck and it worked.

I need my keys to lock the doors on the tear. No way I can lock them in.
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby Gerdo » Mon Apr 30, 2007 12:06 pm

Think Hide-A-Key.
Gerdo
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Mary K » Mon Apr 30, 2007 1:10 pm

Gerdo wrote:Think Hide-A-Key.

Your always thinking... :thinking: :thumbsup: :lol:

Mk
Mary K

I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve. Bilbo Baggins
Mary K
6000 Club
6000 Club

differant strokes for differant folks

Postby retiredcamper » Mon Apr 30, 2007 9:46 pm

Micro469 wrote:That sounds Like a good reason to have a passthrough from galley to cabin...... 8)

The galley is where his key worked as my side doors take a differan key. We recruited a little girl to squeeze through the passthrough.

On a second note I found the "fisherman" :thumbsup: type campers more friendly and Saturday night everyone had a fire going. Sunday night all but one fisherman was gone and the old folks came in with the big units for the volunteer/host camporee. None had a fire in the evening but me. No one was outside except a person or two and then only briefly. I could see TV's flickering inside the land yauts.

I think some were even shunning me :thumbdown: although a few liked the teardrop. I keep a tidy camp as anyone can see from the pictures I've posted. I try my best to represent teardropers in a favorable way.
retiredcamper
Teardrop Master

Postby jmtk » Wed May 02, 2007 10:54 pm

About 15 years ago we took our Toyota Corolla to a shop for some minor work. We came to pick it up at the end of the day and noticed another Corolla in the parking lot that looked just like ours and we remarked about it.

When we got to the counter to get the key and pay the bill we discovered that the appearance wasn't the only thing similar about it... the shop had wrongly taken our car instead of the other car (the other car's key worked in ours) and proceeded to do several hundred dollars of work on our car that was intended for the other. They replaced the windshield, did a full tune-up, replaced the muffler and other things - none of which our car needed. The shop wound up eating the cost of their mistake, and we made out great on the deal!

Jeanette
jmtk
Donating Member

Postby kajamelu4 » Thu May 03, 2007 12:21 pm

Several years ago, while on family vacation in Gatlinburg, TN, I went out to our car late in the evening. I was standing at the driver's door between our car and another one of the same make and model. When I hit the button on the key to open it up, both our car and the one beside it opened.
I got what I needed, hit the lock button, and they both locked. By the way, the other one belonged to my brother!

Karol
kajamelu4
The 300 Club

Next

Return to Trips, Pics and Hiway Tales