Hanksville Utah Trip

...the place to share tales of your travels and pics of your adventures...

Postby asianflava » Sat May 19, 2007 11:01 pm

Coca Cola Teardrop wrote:BTW is that the new Tundra?
I'll bet you are enjoying it. curious...what kind of gas mileage did you get?
Now that my tundra is a little over a year old I get better gas mileage.
It is still not great when pulling trailers though
Linda

I was getting (according to the mileage computer) 13.8mpg @ 75mph on the way there and 16.4mpg @ 70mph on the way back. The truck had almost exactly 500miles on it when I hooked up the trailer, which is what the manual recommended. I'm shure some break-in was some of the cause for the poor mileage. I'm getting right at 18mpg going to and from work if I baby it. Not great but when you consider what it is, it isn't too bad.

jmtk wrote:Great pics, Rocky! Especially the one of that cute little woodie you saw going by at Goblin. Who was that? :thinking: Oh yeah, that's us!
Maybe it's a good thing you didn't do the hogback after Boulder Mountain if the Moki Dugway gave you white knuckles :shock: although I still think that stretch between Torrey and Bryce Canyon is one of the coolest drives around. It was a pleasure meeting you and your wife!

Jeanette

We were taking pictures when I saw you coming around the bend. I told Mel to get some "action shots" of you. You don't typically get shots of yourself on the road.

I thought you saw our faces when you mentioned the hogback. Joanne and Steve told us about it and it sounded worse than Moki Dugway. We were talking to one of the rangers at Goblin Valley and mentioned the Dugway. He said that his first time down it was in a dually with a 30ft gooseneck. Talk about scary! He mentioned that semis and semis with tandems go down it on certain days. Right when we got to the top, we saw one getting ready to go down. I was like, "I wonder if he knows what is just ahead." Once you figure out what is ahead, you can't turn a big rig around.

I'm really glad I got to meet you all also. I really like your trailer and how you executed it. BTW: you wouldn't happen to be a project manager would you? Mel noticed it in some of you stories. She said, "I wonder if she has a Gantt chart for her trailer?'
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby Joanne » Sun May 20, 2007 11:22 am

Hi Rocky!

After looking at your photos of Moki Dugway, I think you got the worse road! Ours was scary but out switchbacks weren't as nasty as the ones you went across! We went down the "Devil's Backbone" that sits right along the top of a very narrow finger with dropoffs on both sides (200 to 300 foot dropoffs), NO guardrails and no shoulders. It was a white-knuckle for me! :lol:

Great camping with you and Mel again! :thumbsup:

Joanne

asianflava wrote:

I thought you saw our faces when you mentioned the hogback. Joanne and Steve told us about it and it sounded worse than Moki Dugway. We were talking to one of the rangers at Goblin Valley and mentioned the Dugway. He said that his first time down it was in a dually with a 30ft gooseneck. Talk about scary! He mentioned that semis and semis with tandems go down it on certain days. Right when we got to the top, we saw one getting ready to go down. I was like, "I wonder if he knows what is just ahead." Once you figure out what is ahead, you can't turn a big rig around.

I'm really glad I got to meet you all also. I really like your trailer and how you executed it. BTW: you wouldn't happen to be a project manager would you? Mel noticed it in some of you stories. She said, "I wonder if she has a Gantt chart for her trailer?'
New! My Camp Cooking Forum

Project Desert Dawg website

Universal Health Care
Health care with the efficiency of the Department of Motor Vehicles
and the compassion of the Internal Revenue Service.
Joanne
Queen of Cast Iron

Postby MOKI SEAKER » Mon May 21, 2007 9:30 am

Wow Looks like a great time, did anyone get out to the Mars station (I think it is called that) it is just a few miles west of Hanksville??
If you don’t read the newspaper, you are uninformed.. If you do read the newspaper. You are misinformed.
Mark Twain
MOKI SEAKER
The 300 Club

Postby jmtk » Mon May 21, 2007 1:35 pm

asianflava wrote:I'm really glad I got to meet you all also. I really like your trailer and how you executed it. BTW: you wouldn't happen to be a project manager would you? Mel noticed it in some of you stories. She said, "I wonder if she has a Gantt chart for her trailer?'

Rocky, nope, I'm not a project manager and don't have a Gantt chart, but I am a geeky and ridiculously organized software engineer. Similar anal traits required for both jobs, I'm sure :lol:

Jeanette
jmtk
Donating Member

Postby Stevebaz » Mon May 21, 2007 7:02 pm

If your ever out by Goblin state park camp there some night as the sun sets the shadows take over and the place gets very errie.
Stevebaz
Teardrop Inspector

Previous

Return to Trips, Pics and Hiway Tales