Hanksville Utah Trip

...the place to share tales of your travels and pics of your adventures...

Hanksville Utah Trip

Postby asianflava » Fri May 18, 2007 3:37 pm

We left the house late (as usual) our goal was to make it to Albuquerque the first day. It was late when we got there but not too late since we picked up an extra hour. The following day we made a detour out to monument valley. It was a great detour to take, you could just picture John Wayne riding past your windshield.

We continued onto Mexican Hat and up thru the Moki Dugway We didn't know what the Dugway was until we got there, our map didn't mention it, but it was steep dirt road with switchbacks. It climbs 1100ft in 3 miles. I made the mistake of telling my wife, "it's only 3 miles, we can white knuckle it for 3 miles." I (as most of you know) don't get along with heights so having a sheer drop off on one side of what is essentially a one lane road scared the crap out of me. I just hoped that there was no oncoming traffic.

After the Dugway, we encountered another hazard, cows. There are signs that say open range but we never actually saw any cows. Right after the climb, we were tooling down the road at 55mph and Whoa! there are cows in the middle of the road. We continue on and stop at an observation place that overlooked the road that we were just on, the observation place has no fences so I didn't go near the edge of the cliff (yeah I'm a chicken). We crossed this bridge near Hite, UT.
After the observation area, the road looked like this as we would wind in and out of the rocks on our way out of the canyon.

Got to Hanksville during the daylight hours (which is rare for us) setup camp and had dinner. Heard the bad news that one of the T@B folks lost his trailer about 10 miles from the camp ground. He was OK but his trailer and dog weren't, last I heard the dog was at the vet's. We visited for a while but I was tired. It was a cool night, I was exhausted so I slept like a "Rock" well, I guess I sleep like that all the time.

The following day we went out to explore nearby Capitol Reef National Park. This is another Chimney Rock

Came back to camp to find out that our EZ-up was blown away. Some of our fellow campers managed to save it for which I am grateful. I'm also glad that it didn't blow into someone else's car or hurt someone. I was thinking about staking it down but the ground was so hard that I don't know if the stakes would go in very far. I started getting ready for the potluck while Mel took a nap. It was a great event, met some new people, and saw old friends. Bruce posted his pics of the event, mine look similar to his so I won't post em again.

We left on Sunday, we stopped by Goblin Valley State park. We were pulled over taking pictures when we saw this camper drive by.
It was a really interesting place. The pictures don't do it justice, I knew that it wouldn't be as dramatic with the afternoon light.
Some more "Goblins"

We headed out to Boulder to visit my sister. On the way there the temps dropped to the 30's and there was still some snow on the ground. What a shock after spending a few days in the desert.
A parting shot:

I would like to thanks Paul "Yogi Bear" for putting the event on. It was a bit of a drive but it was well worth it. We've never been out to that part of the country. This was a great opportunity to see it.
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby bledsoe3 » Fri May 18, 2007 3:42 pm

You trailer looks tiny behing that truck.
If you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got.
bledsoe3
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby toypusher » Fri May 18, 2007 3:50 pm

WOW! Looks like a great trip!! That Dugway reminds me of going up to Pike's Peak in Colorado Springs. That road may be a tad wider though and they race up it every year in the Pike's Peak hill climb!!! :o
toypusher
Site Admin

Postby s4son » Fri May 18, 2007 4:08 pm

Kerry,
Pikes Peak is what I thought of too. We saw the sign and it said something like 10 miles to the top. I say "We'll be back down in time for lunch." It was the longest ten miles I have ever driven. My wife and kids all got altitude sickness and my wife was sure I was going to drive over the edge. What a trip that was.

Rocky,
Your pictures look great. It looks like a really nice trip and a great place for a gathering.

Scott F. :?
Are we there yet?
ImageImage
s4son
Donating Member

Postby Miriam C. » Fri May 18, 2007 5:03 pm

:thumbsup: :applause: Thanks Rocky. You have some great pictures.
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Re: Hanksville Utah Trip

Postby mikeschn » Fri May 18, 2007 5:08 pm

That looks like JMTK...

Mike...

asianflava wrote:We left on Sunday, we stopped by Goblin Valley State park. We were pulled over taking pictures when we saw this camper drive by.
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby BrwBier » Fri May 18, 2007 8:57 pm

Thanks for the pictures, now I have to add another place to my want to go to list.
Brwbier
BrwBier
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby davel » Fri May 18, 2007 9:30 pm

Rocky,

Great shots, I wish we there with ya'll. Your seeing some beautiful scenery.
davel
Donating Member

Postby doug hodder » Fri May 18, 2007 9:33 pm

Rocky...great pics and story...but what's up the the T@B person who "lost" their trailer, accident, come unhitched? Doug
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby Sam I am » Fri May 18, 2007 9:39 pm

Wow! Breathtaking scenery out there! That Dugway would scare me, too! I'm glad you made it through. Thanks for the great pics!
Sam I am
500 Club

Postby bdosborn » Fri May 18, 2007 10:17 pm

Rocky,

You left out the best picture of all:
The picture of my truck...
:thumbsup: :lol:
Bruce
Last edited by bdosborn on Sat May 19, 2007 10:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2009 6.5'X11' TTT - Boxcar
All it takes is a speck of faith and a few kilowatts of sweat and grace.
Boxcar Build
aVANger Build
bdosborn
Donating Member

Postby asianflava » Sat May 19, 2007 1:44 am

doug hodder wrote:Rocky...great pics and story...but what's up the the T@B person who "lost" their trailer, accident, come unhitched? Doug

Bruce probably knows more than I do, since he went out to the scene. Apparently an elderly gentleman lost his wive a while back and went out and bought a T@B with some insurance money. He was very excited to campout and meet the T@B folks. He was the first one to sign up for the event.

On the way to the event, the trailer came unhitched. I only saw it afterwards but it was dented on the curbside (in front of the wheel) the door was also ripped off. His dog was in the trailer and last I heard, it may loose a foot.

From what I understand, he had a 7/8in ball on a 2in coupler. Some people were questioning why the dealer sold him the trailer when he had the wrong sized ball. Later I heard that he has several ball mounts and may have put the wrong one on. It was truly an unfortunate event, I feel so sorry for him and I didn't even meet him.
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby doug hodder » Sat May 19, 2007 1:53 am

Rocky....thanks for the info, but very sorry to hear about that incident. Everyone needs to make sure things are correct prior to a trip, and don't rely on someone else to make the final checks. I realize that there might be other circumstances regarding his situation, but I guess, it's a word to the wise, when in doubt, double check. I sure hope his pup is OK. Doug
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby Coca Cola Teardrop » Sat May 19, 2007 9:20 am

Hey Rocky, Looks like you had a great trip. Thanks for sharing the pics.
BTW is that the new Tundra?
I'll bet you are enjoying it. curious...what kind of gas mileage did you get?
Now that my tundra is a little over a year old I get better gas mileage.
It is still not great when pulling trailers though
Linda
Coca Cola Teardrop
Donating Member

Postby jmtk » Sat May 19, 2007 10:08 pm

Great pics, Rocky! Especially the one of that cute little woodie you saw going by at Goblin. Who was that? :thinking: Oh yeah, that's us!
Maybe it's a good thing you didn't do the hogback after Boulder Mountain if the Moki Dugway gave you white knuckles :shock: although I still think that stretch between Torrey and Bryce Canyon is one of the coolest drives around. It was a pleasure meeting you and your wife!

Jeanette
jmtk
Donating Member

Next

Return to Trips, Pics and Hiway Tales