Palo Duro Canyon

...the place to share tales of your travels and pics of your adventures...

Palo Duro Canyon

Postby steve wolverton » Sat Jun 09, 2007 2:02 pm

Here are few pics from my trip to Palo Duro during Christmas. It was bloody cold too! :(

Park outside the state park. They close at 5:00 during the winter so we had to stay here. Not real impressed with the scenery of Amarillo - Lubbock area. :thumbdown:

This is the Lighthouse rock formation. It was a lot smaller than I thought it was.

Ok, it's actually quite tall. Lisa is the little speck at the bottom of it.

We only stayed inside the state park for a couple of hours. It was too cold and windy, so we left and headed south for San Angelo.
�veni, vidi, vici.�
steve wolverton
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby pauld3 » Sat Jun 09, 2007 3:18 pm

You REALLY have to be born in Amarillo/Lubbock area to appreciate it's beauty! And Winter is the least impressive time. BUT PD Canyon in the Spring is WONDERFUL! If you plan another trip let me know. I live in Kansas now but would love a trip to the Canyon!

Lynn :D
Paul & Lynn Donovan
The Toad Drop Inn
Liberal, KS
pauld3
The 300 Club

Postby Miriam C. » Sat Jun 09, 2007 3:55 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: Thanks Steve. I have been to Amarillo and the best scenery was the antique shops.
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby Laredo » Sat Jun 09, 2007 4:09 pm

Um, no. IN Amarillo the best scenery is the free zoo in the park on the hiway to Dumas.

This *side* of Amarillo, Palo Duro is beautiful, but that canyon isn't confined to the park. It actually starts as a little dry wash in New Mexico; the city of Canyon, Texas is built around the part of it where it becomes noticeable, and from there it gets deeper and wider to become the Palo Duro, which sweeps on through Caprock Canyons and into Copper Breaks.

But for my money you can't beat Texas 70 going up the edge of the Caprock.
Mopar's what my busted knuckles bleed, working on my 318s...
Laredo
Donating Member

Postby pauld3 » Sat Jun 09, 2007 4:13 pm

OOOPPPPSSSSS. :o I forgot to mention, I was born and raised in Amarillo! So you see why I think PD Canyon is so wonderful! Maybe I just don't know any better! Although I've traveled a bit and I still love my Canyon!!!

Lynn :lol:
Paul & Lynn Donovan
The Toad Drop Inn
Liberal, KS
pauld3
The 300 Club

Postby khutson » Sun Jun 10, 2007 8:24 am

Palo Duro is awesome and we love going down there from time to time. It is a bit touristy at times. That canyons goes on for miles and miles in both directions. So finding some camping is not to tough.

I would have to agree that the middle of winter is not the time to see the canyon. Glad you got to though!
Our build blog, We try to keep it current! Check it out!
http://kennoel.blogspot.com/
khutson
Donating Member

Postby Nic » Sun Jun 17, 2007 11:14 pm

WOW looks like you guys got lucky finding a spot! I hate when they run out of spots before i show up. :lol: :lol: How is it camping in the cold? I think it would be kinda cool. As long as you have heat and games or something. :thumbsup: Im looking forward to trying out some winter camping!!!
Im not lazy. I just hang out a lot.
Nic
500 Club

Postby steve wolverton » Mon Jun 18, 2007 9:43 pm

Nic wrote:WOW looks like you guys got lucky finding a spot! I hate when they run out of spots before i show up. :lol: :lol: How is it camping in the cold? I think it would be kinda cool. As long as you have heat and games or something. :thumbsup: Im looking forward to trying out some winter camping!!!

We never got inside the park to camp, we camped at a small RV area near the park entrance.

As for camping in the cold, well we were ok with it as we had heat. We didn't stay long because it was supposed to get colder and snow. We took off south where it just rained on us for two days. :(
�veni, vidi, vici.�
steve wolverton
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Nic » Tue Jun 19, 2007 4:07 pm

steve wolverton wrote:
Nic wrote:WOW looks like you guys got lucky finding a spot! I hate when they run out of spots before i show up. :lol: :lol: How is it camping in the cold? I think it would be kinda cool. As long as you have heat and games or something. :thumbsup: Im looking forward to trying out some winter camping!!!

We never got inside the park to camp, we camped at a small RV area near the park entrance.

As for camping in the cold, well we were ok with it as we had heat. We didn't stay long because it was supposed to get colder and snow. We took off south where it just rained on us for two days. :(

See to ME that sounds like a blast!!! For some reason im wanting to go camping in bad weather. Snow or rain. Something about my camper i built keeping out of the weather and entertained sounds kinda cool.
Im not lazy. I just hang out a lot.
Nic
500 Club

Return to Trips, Pics and Hiway Tales