Camping Cape Cod Canal

...the place to share tales of your travels and pics of your adventures...

Camping Cape Cod Canal

Postby gerry boucher » Thu Jun 21, 2007 7:41 pm

Hi All,
Just returned from 3 days at Scusset Beach on the Bay side
of Cape Cod Canal. I was celebrating my 25th anniversary
at the golf course where I work. To get this many days off in
June on a golf course is a real treat.
The campground is a state park and very clean, $20.per night,
I was very lucky to get a site reserved in May, I hear it's next to impossible if not done 6 months ahead.We had a great site, steps
away from the canal. We were on the road to the rest of the park
on a secluded corner, it was funny to hear all those diesels revving, pulling their big rigs, and then seeing my tiny teardrop. Many thumbs
up and quite a few tours. The first couple had to work for their tour,
they had to help me put up my new canopy from father's day.

We biked, and went to the beach. Monday was a 14 mile bike ride from one end to the other, Tuesday we went to the beach. The weather was great except for Wednesday when we left. We checked out and parked
in the lot and biked the canal again. Just as we got back to the car it came down in buckets. I got the water line installed so it made cleaning up a breeze. The new canopy was great at blocking out the sun and wind. I cooked shepards pie, pinwheels, meatloaf, for suppers, eggs, hash, waffles, french toast for breakfasts. Check out my album for
some cool pictures. I had my dad down for dinner one night and decided to bake a cake. I put it in the oven and the boys wanted to ride bikes down the canal so we went. The canal is 7 miles long and we got to the other end and the train bridge was going up and down for maintenance. It was then I remembered I forgot to shut off the oven. Going down the wind was in our face so I thought it would be at our backs when we return. Wrong, it changed direction with the tide and we had it going back. All I could think of is my teardrop is burned to the ground. We finally did get back 3 1/2 hours later and miraculously the cake was not burned, just real dry like Aunt Clara's fruitcake. I made another for my Dad, This time we stayed around to watch it. I won't tell you what happened to my plastic folding table.
http://tnttt.com/album_ ... ser_id=515[/img]
gerry boucher
Teardrop Master

Postby Miriam C. » Thu Jun 21, 2007 8:25 pm

:o You get to catch lobsters??? :envious: :lol: Looks like the boys had too much fun. Wish I could conk out like that.

Thanks for sharing the pictures and story. :thumbsup:
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Cape cod Canal

Postby gerry boucher » Thu Jun 21, 2007 8:40 pm

Hi Auntie M,
No not me catching lobsters, those things were ferocious. My younger son ask the lobster man if he was going to give them to Stop & Shop
(local grocery) He said not this time they were going in his belly. Everytime we go to the grocer he has to stop and look at the lobsters.
It was very informative for me, I 've been down here for 30 years and it's the first time I've seen it done.
Gerry
gerry boucher
Teardrop Master

Postby Sam I am » Thu Jun 21, 2007 8:59 pm

Looks like you had a great trip, Gerry! Your menu sounds like you would gain some weight, but the bike trip probably balanced out the calories! :)
I like your teardrop. The natural wood and red is a nice combination.
Way back in the 1970's my (first) wife and I camped in a tent near Plymouth, MA. We drove out onto Cape Cod to Provincetown. It's beautiful up there! Too bad I had never heard of teardrop trailers back then. That old tent was not very comfortable!
Sam
Sam I am
500 Club

Return to Trips, Pics and Hiway Tales