Wyoming/Out West Trip - Long

...the place to share tales of your travels and pics of your adventures...

Wyoming/Out West Trip - Long

Postby Nobody » Mon Jun 25, 2007 10:37 am

Hi All - We're back home from our first extended trip in the TD. Got home last Friday PM after 3 weeks and 1 day 'on the road.' Had an absolutely marvelous time, the TD & my little Nissan P/U performed perfectly, weather was good, saw lots of spectacular scenery, finally met (in person) some new & old cyber friends, & learned several things about TD camping/travel that we needed to know. I'll post a few 'teaser' pix here but I have an album at Yahoo Photos with lots more. Go to http://new.photos.yahoo.com/ & click on "2007 Wyoming Trip" to view the album. I think I have it set up for public viewing. You can click on Slideshow or view each pic individually.

We finished loading 'bout 5PM on May 31st. We've visited the Gulpha Gorge C/G at Hot Springs NP, AR lots of times & always promised ourselves we'd stay there sometime. Since it's only about 30mi away we decided this would be a good time, 'sides it'd give us a chance to 'remember' anything we'd forgotten & pick it up next morning as we passed by home on our way to Illinois (worked too as we thought of several things we'd missed) :whistle: . Spent a quiet, uneventful first nite out & got a pretty early start on June 1st. Things went well 'til about halfway to Memphis & traffic started 'backing up' on I-40 eastbound. Seems there'd been a rather bad accident involving a couple of semi's & several autos. We languished in traffic for more'n an hour 'til a State Trooper finally started directing vehicles to old US70 to bypass the wreck. Had a nice trip on to Pine Hills C/G in the Shawnee NF near Wolf Lake, IL where we set up camp for the weekend. Was great 'til the sun went down & then 'bout a million 'skeeters' descended upon us :o . I gotta tell ya, it ain't much fun putting up a screen house in the dark while slapping bugs (these seem to eat DEET) but we 'got 'er done' & foiled the pesky critters. Spent the weekend relaxing & exploring.

Monday June 4th, being our 47th wedding anniversary, we decided we'd not drive a long way so went about 100mi west to Lake Wappapello, MO where we found a nice COE C/G with hot showers as we surely needed a bath by that time (Baby Wipes & sponges from a pan only do the job for just sooo long :thumbdown: ). Drove into Poplar Bluff, MO for supplies & ice, & treated ourselves to a nice anniversary dinner at a local steakhouse :ok: .

Wandered on thru Missouri the next day & then headed across Kansas toward Colo/Wyo & the Rocky Mts. Not a lot you can say 'bout driving across Kansas 'cept this time we had very strong quartering headwinds (30-40mph) that really played havoc with power/fuel mileage in my little P/U for a couple of days there. Finally reached the high country SW of Laramie, WY on Friday PM & settled in at the Boswell Creek C/G in the Medicine Bow NF. This C/G is 3mi back on a very rough dirt road. It is only unofficially open as it's being 'phased out' so there was no drinking water & the 'pit' toilets weren't being serviced regularly. I'm really upset that this C/G is being closed as it's in a beautiful setting at 9000' elevation with lots of country to explore (which we did for 2 days).

On Monday we found a nice commercial C/G in Riverside, WY for showers & a restaurant meal. Tuesday we drove over to the high plains/desert country near Riverton to meet our friends. Met Jack & Hank & set up camp on BLM land near some old copper & coal mines. Jack spent part of his childhood on the nearby family homestead & provided lots of interesting information as well as guiding us on exploration tours of the area. Had lots of fun exploring around the old mines/mining camp areas, & meeting other 'cyber' friends that came to the "Encampment". This seemingly desolate area literally teems with a myriad of wildlife including, pronghorn antelope, mule deer, coyotes, rabbits (both jackrabbits & cottontails), great horned owls, hawks, badgers, lotsa lizards 'n bugs, & a few rattlesnakes. The sage had passed it's peak of blooming but was still beautiful, & there is a great variety of plant life, albiet scattered, as out there even blades of grass give each other a little room ;) . We spent a week (wellll, 5 days/6nites) exploring, target shooting/plinking with folks that quickly became fast friends. Really wanted to get to Minden for at least a day but it was 400mi away & it just didn't work out for us to get away early :( .

Hated to leave but again we needed a real bath so on Monday Jun 18th we left Jack sittin' on the tailgate of his P/U & started the long trek toward home by headin' east at Shoshoni, WY on US 20 toward Nebraska. Camped that night at Ft Robinson, NE where we again got showers & replenished supplies. Explored the old (still commissioned) Army post where Oglalla Chief Crazy Horse was killed in 1871.

For next couple of days we worked our way south & east toward home, again crossing Kansas only this time north to south. Our route took us thru Greensberg, KS, the town destroyed by a Tornado last month. We didn't take any pix but the devastation is just unbelievable. No pictures or video can realistically depict it. I've been to a couple of war zones & several 'natural' disaster scenes but I've never seen anything like it! Absolute, total destruction. Everything destroyed except two buildings & they look as if they'd been 'wrung' out & then shaken & set back up.

We'd been heading toward the Wichita Mts of SW Okla but decided it was time to get home so we 'angled' across OK for a couple of days, arriving home about 3:30PM Friday Jun 22d.

We'd been a little hesitant about the physical aspects of an extended trip/stay in the TD but this outing alleviated a great deal of that. We've decided that with the right planning, we might even try the Alaska Highway trip next year 8) .

Here's a few pix, with lots more in the 2007 Wyoming Trip album at the yahoo link http://new.photos.yahoo.com/

Pine Hills NF C/G IL

Beaver pond/lodge in WY

Lenora sitting in meadow of wildflowers & sagebrush

Old Bell coal mine near Sand Draw, WY - dark spot is steel door to the powder magazine
Harvey -

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Doing the right thing ain't always easy but, . . . it's always right!
Nobody
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Miriam C. » Mon Jun 25, 2007 10:55 am

:applause: great pictures Harvey. Another place to drool over :thumbsup: Thank you for posting and I am glad to hear you had such a good time.
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby madjack » Mon Jun 25, 2007 11:16 am

...fantastic travelogue Harvey...sure glad y'all had a great time with no truly annoying(or expensive) set backs and had a wonderful time...thanks for sharing your trip.......
madjack 8)

p.s. Harvey, it would be interesting tohear your thoughts on what to have/have not for an extended stay inna Td..........MJ
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby Nobody » Mon Jun 25, 2007 12:09 pm

MJ - We've been doing considerable thinkin' 'bout that & plan to 'put together' a little treatise on our experiences. Probably take a few days/weeks but we'll hopefully have something soon. Everyone's different but one thing we found while traveling for a while, we don't prepare big meals so a single burner propane stove & small charcoal grill will do for us 99% of the time. Think we're gonna replace our 2-burner stove & use the extra space for something else 'cept maybe for gatherings, where we might actually use it. Also, Gage's idea of keeping extra ice in a smaller, high efficiency ice chest/cooler makes a lotta sense, especially when 'boondocking' for several days. I'll have more later. :thinking:
Harvey -

Nobody
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby madjack » Mon Jun 25, 2007 12:13 pm

good deal Harvey...on the ice chest thing...when camping for several days, we use the 3 box system...all 5 day boxes, one with food, one with drinks and one with extra ice...if you throw a 1# block of dry ice* into the ice cooler, you will lose virtually none of your ice over a several day period...
madjack 8)

*dry ice is 110degrees below 0F...becareful when handling or you just might get "burned"...dry ice is frozen CO2, so do not leave in an unventilated area
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby Nobody » Mon Jun 25, 2007 1:53 pm

10-4 on the "Dry Ice" MJ. I've brought frozen game meat back from CO, WY, MT, etc, with nothin' more'n a coupla pounds of solid Co2 in the coolers with the meat. Never lost an ounce due to thaw. Haven't used it to keep extra ice better but that's a great tip. Thanks!
Harvey -

Nobody
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Coca Cola Teardrop » Tue Jun 26, 2007 4:50 am

Harvey, Glad you guys had a good trip. Love the pics. I'll be sure to share them with Charles this evening. He's working late in the evenings again on the "slide out" hoping to get us ready for Petite Jean gathering.

Linda
Coca Cola Teardrop
Donating Member

Return to Trips, Pics and Hiway Tales