I-40 Oklahoma to California

...the place to share tales of your travels and pics of your adventures...

I-40 Oklahoma to California

Postby kajamelu4 » Mon Jul 09, 2007 12:44 pm

At the end of this month (July 07) I am following a friend to Calif. She just graduated college and is moving back home to San Diego. It will have to be a quick trip there and back. My youngest two are going along for the ride. (And to add to the number of states that they have been to!) We'll make quick side trips to the Grand Canyon (not near enough time to do it justice) and the Meteor Crater, Painted Desert, etc.
What else? We like the cheesy tourist things. My kids (ages 16 and 14) have never been that direction. We don't have near enough time but want to at least see a few things.

Karol
kajamelu4
The 300 Club

Postby SamR » Mon Jul 09, 2007 2:05 pm

Have a great time! Sounds like fun!
SamR
Teardrop Master

Postby asianflava » Mon Jul 09, 2007 3:30 pm

Where are you going to cut back South and head to San Diego? Sedona is pretty cool, we just drove thru. But since you are coming from Grand Canyon, it might just look like a bunch of rocks.

You can always check www.roadsideamerica.com

Took this pic at Sedona.
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby Laredo » Mon Jul 09, 2007 8:49 pm

How much of this trip can you make along the Bankhead Highway?
Mopar's what my busted knuckles bleed, working on my 318s...
Laredo
Donating Member

Postby madjack » Mon Jul 09, 2007 11:01 pm

...if you like cheesy, by all means, stop at the Big Yellow TeePee, just across the NM/AZ stateline, outside of Gallup NM...and of course, when speaking of cheesy, lets not forget Clines Corner in NM as well...........
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby Catoosa Grani » Mon Jul 09, 2007 11:11 pm

Karol, be careful and have a fun trip. I hope you aren't in such a hurry that you can't enjoy everything. Have fun and let us know when you get back.

Grani
ImageImage
Catoosa Grani
Gold Donating Member

Postby kajamelu4 » Wed Jul 11, 2007 10:08 am

Thanks for the replies!

Jack, Thanks for reminding me about Roadside America. I had sorta forgotten about that.

We don't leave for a few weeks yet. Plenty of time to plan our attack. The teens and I will probably drop off the young adults (my oldest, age 22, is staying in Calif. with our friend for a week or so.) and then have fun on the way back.

Karol
kajamelu4
The 300 Club

Oh Boy!!!!!!!!!

Postby Steve Nikkel » Wed Jul 11, 2007 8:35 pm

I40 thru new mexico, Gallup for sure (check out any of the tribal stores for silver)(and real Navajo Rugs) don't need to buy, it's a great education for the kids. Go to the main hotel there in town and look at all the moviestar pictures. Last time in town I found a motel room straight out of the 50's (knotty pine,plastic knobs,drawer pulls,etc) and I spent under 20 a night. (came out the next morning to 10" of SNOW on the roof of my truck)
Williams Ariz. stop and see the Red Garter Bakery and B&B. Yep in the old days, a bakery and brothel, type of place that restarted my interest in Historical research. Go visit the Grand Canyon Railway Hotel nice decorations. The whole town is filled with buildings with Historical plaques, fun way to see a relic of old 66. Oh yeah before Williams nearer NM, ya gotta stop in Winslow Ariz, just beware of flat bed Fords. Flagstaff is full of must sees Art Museums, Architectural museums, NAU (Go Lumberjacks).
I must warn you that I've been driving that stretch for almost 50 years, and find new treasures every trip.
Enjoy the trip, stops, and adventures----I've found my most memorable souvineers to be the myriad coffee mugs purchased 1 at a time in my many stops....The best one so far has to be from the Alien Caffine Expresso Bar----in wherelse----ROSWELL N.M.
Steve Nikkel

I'm Draggin-----Draggin the Main once more
With a Peroxide Blonde in a hopped up model Ford.
(Brian Setzer)
Steve Nikkel
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Ncaoutdoors » Sat Aug 18, 2007 12:07 am

Dont forget bedrock city near the grand canyon? you'll have a gay ole time!! :D
http://www.roadsideamerica.com/tips/get ... ionNo==112
scott m clark
...nothing so liberalizes a man and expands the kindly instincts that nature put in him as travel and contact with many kinds of people.
Mark Twain
Ncaoutdoors
Teardrop Builder

Postby kajamelu4 » Sat Aug 18, 2007 12:24 pm

Oops.... forgot to post. This trip has been canceled. Our friend decided to stay in Oklahoma for now. My kids (and I) were really disappointed not to get to go. Maybe some other time when we can spend more time to look around and do the fun stuff! Thanks for all the advice!

Karol
kajamelu4
The 300 Club

Postby Nic » Tue Sep 04, 2007 11:02 pm

OH you lucky duck! Just today i sent my best friends to the airport to head out to oklahoma from LA. My friends liked just being on the freeway checking things out. I took them to venice beach, and hollywood. Too bad youre not headed to LA! I will be heading out to OKlahoma with my teardrop in tow at the end of october ISH. Let me know if you find any cool stops between OK and LA for my teardrop. HAVE FUN!!!!!!!!
Im not lazy. I just hang out a lot.
Nic
500 Club

Postby oklahomajewel » Wed Sep 05, 2007 7:58 am

NIC !!!!! If you're gonna come out this way in late October, then keep coming with the rest of us just a few more miles south and east and make it to the big LCG !!!! YOU WON"T REGRET IT !!!!!

Julie
Some things are way over my head !! ...but it keeps me looking UP!
oklahomajewel
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby Nic » Wed Sep 05, 2007 3:02 pm

HEYA! Well im trying my move to Oklahoma one more time! (It will be so nice to get out of LA) So if things work out that sounds like a plan! Im already going to get a gathering going at Sequoyah Bay State Park as soon as i can! Its south of the gathering i met you at in oklahoma.
Im not lazy. I just hang out a lot.
Nic
500 Club

Postby Todah Tear » Mon Sep 10, 2007 2:55 pm

Karol,

Be sure to take the kids to see the Giant Sequoias in Sequoais National Park or Kings Canyon. They are spectacular!!

Todah
"It is not good to have zeal without knowledge, nor to be hasty and miss the way." Proverbs 19:2 Image
Todah Tear
Platinum Donating Member

Return to Trips, Pics and Hiway Tales