Quite a weekend

...the place to share tales of your travels and pics of your adventures...

Quite a weekend

Postby Bodyman » Tue May 27, 2008 9:28 am

I spent the weekend camping at my campground near Dundee, Iowa
Jim (Claw) came from Loves Park, Il. Another local couple camped Fri and Sat. Also had several visitors.
Sunday nite was kind of interesting. As we sat and watched in our rain suits, tornados tore a path of destruction a mile away. Then 7 inches of downpour. We sat nestled among cedar trees and just defied Mother Nature. It was great!!!
Seriously, we had no idea how bad it was just a short distance away until my nephew came to check on us. My daughters were going nuts because I didn't answer my phone. Three nearby towns were torn up pretty bad along with many farmsteads. Extensive flash flooding. Lots of roads washed out. Luckily no lives lost locally.
Monday was a beautiful day.
For us the storm just topped off a great campout. Jim and I are looking forward to doing it again with more teardrops. We will see what nature throws at us next time.
Randy
Bodyman
Gold Donating Member

Postby neal b » Tue May 27, 2008 9:35 am

nice lookin camp site you got there storms are fun to camp in i bet the td did some rockn in that wind

neal b :D
neal b
The 300 Club

Postby Bodyman » Tue May 27, 2008 9:45 am

The teardrops sat there solid as a rock. Nice and cosy inside. Hail made it kind of noisy inside at times, though.
Randy
Bodyman
Gold Donating Member

Postby Miriam C. » Tue May 27, 2008 6:22 pm

:o Wow! Glad you made it. You have a really pretty campsite going there. :thumbsup:
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby Bodyman » Thu May 29, 2008 5:20 pm

Thanks for the compliments on the campgrounds,
This is the first year of taking care of it again. I set it up back in '96 but quit taking care of it 5 yrs ago for several reasons. Now it's mine ( well my wife's) so I started maintaining it again. It didn't take much to make it very campable but there is always more I want to do. I have to just relax and enjoy it instead of dreaming up more work for myself.
Randy
Bodyman
Gold Donating Member

Postby Oasis Maker » Thu May 29, 2008 5:35 pm

There's gotta be some kind of campers certificate or stripes you get for camping through a tornado. It is awesome seeing (safely seeing) just how powerful nature can be, and I like how you didn't panic with it too. If you did pull up camp and take off in a panic, you possibly could have driven right into the thing.

Hey, how did your tarp hold up in those winds? If the pics we're seeing are the "after" pics, it looks like it did pretty good!

Scott G.
Jeeping, Teardropping, and Cycling!......Where To Next?
Jeep Wave>> :peace: <<Jeep Wave
Oasis Maker
1000 Club
1000 Club

Return to Trips, Pics and Hiway Tales