The Widget goes to Colorado!!

...the place to share tales of your travels and pics of your adventures...

The Widget goes to Colorado!!

Postby WarPony » Sat Aug 01, 2009 12:47 am

Well, we have another one in the books. We started out from Topeka, KS on Friday after work, drove 7 1/2 hours to Limon, CO and spent the night in a Flying J truckstop..... very nice place to stay, by the way. Lots of parking, good lighting, restaurant......

Made our way to our first destination to BRB Campground on the Crystal River 7 miles South of Carbondale, CO.
Boomer is bushed after sleeping... THE WHOLE WAY OUT HERE!!!
Our first hike was to see Thomas Lakes near Mt. Sopris. Well, I didn't take into account that we flatlanders and our dogs weren't up in shape for a steep hike. Our hike started around 8,540 feet and was going up to 10,270 feet. I think we made it about halfway before Maggie crapped out on us and just layed down and quit. Here's Anna fending off a bear that was lying in wait.....
Here's a couple of pics from the "peak" of our summit.....

Our second hike was going to be Hanging Lake just East of Glenwood Springs, CO. Well, when we arrived at the trailhead there was a sign that said "NO DOGS" so we had to turn around and take them back but on the way to the trailhead we got a shocking surprise. Two dudes jumped off of this mountain.........

........and their parachutes opened up and they landed right on the trail in front of us. Hah!! Gotcha!! They were B.A.S.E. jumpers!!!!!! We talked to them for a few minutes while they gathered up their 'cutes. The one dude landed his 'chute right into a HUGE rose bush and it took him awhile to get it all untangled. That was really cool to see them do that!!

Well, after the aborted Hanging Lake trip, we decided to take the dogs back to camp and go to Glenwood Caverns Adventure Park. We had a snack at the bar and I took a couple of pics of G. Springs.

They have a cool Alpine sled there that we rode and it is a blast!! Basically, it's a small bobsled on tracks that go 35 MPH downhill for about 1500 feet!!!!! We did it twice. Here's a pic of part of the track but that's not me on the sled.

Okay, on the way to the second part of our vacation, we made it back to Hanging Lake trail without the dogs (well, we left them in the camper in the parking lot) and headed for the lake. Man, that is a rough and steep trail......... but worth the hike.

Oooff, I'm tired. I'll put up more pics in the morning........

Jeff
ImageImage

Still a million dollars away from being a millionaire!!
WarPony
Donating Member

Postby B52 » Sat Aug 01, 2009 1:05 am

WOW, too cool. I guess it's safe to say Anna's hip is all healed up! Looking forward to seeing you both at LCGIV ! :applause: :applause:
Jim

Stumble through life; fat, dumb and happy!!
B52
Teardrop Master

Postby S. Heisley » Sat Aug 01, 2009 9:47 am

Looks like you had a great trip! Thanks to your pictures, I almost feel like I went there with you!

Glad you had a good time. Thanks for sharing!
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby Catoosa Grani » Sat Aug 01, 2009 2:14 pm

Those pics are great. We love Colorado and try to go there at least once a year. Every August we go to Copper Mountain for a MINI Cooper get together and take day trips to all parts of that area. Those nuts go up Mt. Evans on Friday and Saturday nights at midnight, shine their headlights up to the sky and say they are signaling the UFO's. It is all in fun, nothing serious.

We are enjoying all your pics, more please.
Grani

P.S. Where is the pic of the bear?
ImageImage
Catoosa Grani
Gold Donating Member

Postby mikeschn » Sat Aug 01, 2009 2:28 pm

Nice job on that Widget Jeff...

I've always liked that profile. And if I could, I'd build one of those too, but alas, my backyard is not big enough for THAT many trailers...

Did you skin the roof with the same material that you sent me a sample of?

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby hiker chick » Sat Aug 01, 2009 3:08 pm

Great pics and such a neat trailer!

:thumbsup: :applause:
Hot Stuff Today, Dog Stuff Tomorrow

www.thegidg.com
hiker chick
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Miriam C. » Sat Aug 01, 2009 3:10 pm

:applause: :thumbsup: Looks like a wonderful place to visit when it is hot here........ :twisted:
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby WarPony » Sun Aug 02, 2009 6:19 pm

B52 wrote:WOW, too cool. I guess it's safe to say Anna's hip is all healed up! Looking forward to seeing you both at LCGIV ! :applause: :applause:

Yep, she's all healed up. We'll see you at the PAR-TAY!!!!!!!!!!

Jeff
ImageImage

WarPony
Donating Member

Postby WarPony » Sun Aug 02, 2009 6:23 pm

mikeschn wrote:Nice job on that Widget Jeff...Did you skin the roof with the same material that you sent me a sample of?

Thanks, Mike. No, I used a different material but it is an automotive top product. No glue, just stretched and stapled with silicone on the edges and where the staples are............ so far, so good.

Jeff
ImageImage

WarPony
Donating Member

Postby Pam Wright » Mon Aug 03, 2009 8:05 pm

Jeff and Annie,

Love the widget! and the pic's of COLORADO!!!! (it is God's country!!!!) Glad you had such a great time! Too bad we weren't able to have met up while you were here, but look forward to camping with you again soon!

pam
Rocky Mountain TearJerkers
Director

"Be well, Be safe, Be Happy!"

Image"
Pam Wright
500 Club

Return to Trips, Pics and Hiway Tales