Lincoln Highway.

...the place to share tales of your travels and pics of your adventures...

Lincoln Highway.

Postby trailtrekerNJ » Tue Aug 04, 2009 7:12 pm

The Lincoln Highway was conceived by Carl Fischer in 1912, named after his idol Abraham Lincoln and was the country's first organized and uniformly marked trans-continental highway.
The route begins at Times Square, New York City, NY and ends 3,389 miles later at Lincoln Park, San Francisco, CA.
Carl Fischer is also known for Miami Beach, FL, the Indianapolis Speedway, the Dixie Highway and Montauk, NY.

I am the current LHA New Jersey Director.
The route of the Lincoln Highway through New Jersey traverses 63 miles in a north to south direction. It passes through five counties and twelve cities and boroughs. It starts in Weehawken, travels through Union City & Jersey City on J.F.K Boulevard, and crosses the Hackensack River & Passaic River bridges into Newark. Travel through Newark is on Market & Broad Streets (be extremely careful of the posted road signs). From Elizabeth into Princeton, travel is on Route 27 and out of Princeton to Trenton, travel is on route 206. Throughout New Jersey there are three actual LH sites, a LH Control sign in Highland Park, a LH mile marker in Princeton and a LH state line marker on the south side of the Calhoun Street Bridge leaving Trenton. Other numerous cultural and historical sites abound along and near the route, which can be found surfing the web.

The Lincoln Highway Association is a national organization devoted to the identification and preservation of the Lincoln Highway. The original association created the route and existed from 1913 to 1928 to promote improvements to, and use of, the highway. It was then reactivated in 1992 with preservation as a primary goal. You might be interested in more information from thier web site at www.lincolnhighwayassoc.org.

I have traveled the Lincoln Highway from New York, NY to Bedford, PA.
I will post picture in my album.[/img]
trailtrekerNJ
Teardrop Advisor

Postby High Desert » Tue Aug 04, 2009 8:07 pm

Very interseting website, thanks for the link! I've driven on many parts of it in Wyoming and Utah, and from Ely NV to Sacramento on the Pioneer route (but not in one trip). There are parts of the somewhat later but still old road you can still see from I-80 near Reno and over Donner if you know where to look. That would have been one heck of a trip end to end back when it was new. It would still be a fascinating trip today 8)

This bit of history fits right in with the upcoming Glyphs gathering in September too. You get to travel on history to see older history :thumbsup:
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?t=30492
Shaun

"it's not the years honey, it's the mileage"
High Desert
Platinum Donating Member

Postby dmckruit » Fri Aug 14, 2009 6:04 pm

I'm quite familiar with the section between Greensburg and East Pittsburgh, PA. Traffic light city all the way.
dmckruit
The 300 Club

Return to Trips, Pics and Hiway Tales