Co Road trip

...the place to share tales of your travels and pics of your adventures...

Co Road trip

Postby Tx River Rat » Sat Sep 12, 2009 8:18 pm

It is that time of the year again, bow season in Co. This year was going to be a little different we both had the modified teardrops that we had built,no tents this year :D
We met up at the flying J and Darrel came by to see us off.

We headed out ,set our speed at 65 where it was legal . The trailers pulled great behind the little four banger and the gas milage on this trip was just about the same as running empty. West Texas isnt long on scenery besides cactus and windmills
and we had about 600 miles we wanted to run that day. We had both packed ice chest with fried chicken and a roast courtisey of my better half,little cheese chips and drinks we could just keep rolling. If you notice there are two fuel tanks on the front of the trailers,200 miles is about the range of the gas tanks in the jeeps so we each had ten gallons to spare. We did use them once on a long strech in New Mexico. The day was pretty uneventful and we just sat back and rolled.
That night we rolled into Santa Rosa New Mexico about dark,there is a large truckstop there ,we parked put on the coffe for the next morning and crashed .648 miles that day. It sure was nice to crawl in my own bed flip the fantastic fan on and crash. With the fans we were comfortable.
Got up the next morning headed for Pogossa Co. about four and a half hours,the scenery was getting better :D

We drove threw Santa Fe and on up to Chama, stoped there to eat and Glen found out there is a lot of difference in Tex Mex Mexican food and New mexico
going to break this here
Ron
Tx River Rat
2nd Teardrop Club

Postby Toytaco2 » Sat Sep 12, 2009 8:38 pm

You're heading into my favorite country - The San Juan Mountains and I've traveled the route your going many times. I'm looking forward to reading your trip updates. Good luck on the hunt.:)

Mike
Toytaco2
500 Club

Postby Tx River Rat » Sat Sep 12, 2009 8:43 pm

After Glen drank a few glasses of tea to cool the peppers off we headed across the border into Colo. We stopped got our license and headed up into the mountains found a spot to camp and pulled in. We pulled one trailer in then set two canopies up then backed the other trailer in,that way both doors were facing in and we had a 10 by 20 covered area between us.

We hit it just right parked the last trailer and the storm hit high winds rained heavy and then started to hail . It covered the ground in just a few minutes but we were dry and comfy.
We were there hunting elk but we saw a lot of wildlife ,mule deer,grouse,biggest red headed wood pecker I ever saw,black bear , ducks a lot of hummingbirds, rock pigeons and of course all kinds of squirrels.
We were climbing and walking 8 to 10 miles a day at altitudes from 9000 to 11000 ft this old flat lander needed a airpack. Saw some elk but just couldn't close the deal. We sure had a blast saw some beautiful scenery

We had planed to stay a ten days but had some things come up that we had to go home a couple days early,no elk but camping in this awesome beauty is enough.

Headed back to the house and twelve hours latter stopped outside Abilene Tx ate at a truck stop went out and crashed.
Break it here
Tx River Rat
2nd Teardrop Club

Postby Tx River Rat » Sat Sep 12, 2009 8:58 pm

We got up the next morning and headed on home ,another 225 miles.
The Tepee and the Coyote functioned flawlessly ,it was so nice to set camp up in 5 minutes ,no wet tents clothes warm and compy,I used the fantastic fan and lights off a car battery for 8 days ,the fan ran 16 hours of that and needed charging the last day. Used two single burner stoves and used one bottle apiece,Trailer pulled easy and with very little increase in gas usage. Oh and the best thing was sleeping on a good mattres listening to the elk bugle.
Now the downside we got stopped on the highway so folks could take pics of the trailers,just stopping to fuel I bet I unlocked
my trailer a dozen times to show folks the inside and the two jeeps running together with the two trailers nearly caused some wrecks.
To sum this up a great trip with a good friend bueatiful scenery lots of wildlife to watch and a couple great little trailers,just dont know why I waited this long to build them.
Ron
Tx River Rat
2nd Teardrop Club

Postby Tx River Rat » Sat Sep 12, 2009 8:59 pm

Mike it is awesome country ,my trip there every years really charge my batteries.
Ron
Tx River Rat
2nd Teardrop Club

Postby Miriam C. » Sat Sep 12, 2009 9:02 pm

:applause: :thumbsup: Looks like a fun trip even without the Elk. :thinking: Well maybe! I am surprised you didn't get more than 200 miles per tank. Do you know what kind of mileage you get?

Thanks for sharing your trip! :thumbsup:
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby Tx River Rat » Sat Sep 12, 2009 9:13 pm

We were getting 18 to 19 miles a gallon ,but with twelve gallon tanks we didnt want to run down any father.
Ron
Tx River Rat
2nd Teardrop Club

Postby S. Heisley » Sun Sep 13, 2009 10:17 am

Thanks for sharing your trip story and pictures. :thumbsup: Loved the one of the two tear units caravaning. :applause:
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Return to Trips, Pics and Hiway Tales