Halloween at the beach

...the place to share tales of your travels and pics of your adventures...

Halloween at the beach

Postby robertaw » Mon Nov 02, 2009 7:31 pm

We spent Halloween weekend at Fort Clinch State Park on Amelia Island, Florida. Being relatively new to the southern United States this was our first time every camping on Halloween.

Our "new" trailer isn't road ready yet and having sold our vintage Apache we had to rough it in a tent - something we haven't done in many years. The tent was nice but set-up and take-down of our site was a lot more work than I remember it being when we were younger.

Friday night we chilled at the site. This is my husband and son - Bob & Bobby.

Here is our new tent set up with no rain-fly. It's easy to set up as far as tents go but still would rather not. Once it was up it was roomy and comfortable.

Saturday morning we toured the fort. We've been to this park many times before but never toured the fort until this weekend. It was so awesome! I had no idea what we were missing.

It was really great to be able to get up close and personal with the whole place, including the cannons.

We spent the second half of Saturday at the beach within the park. Hubby spent most of it fishing from the 1/2 mile long fishing pier. I mostly waded and hunted shells & shark's teeth which are plentiful here.

Late afternoon a submarine surfaced right in front of us. It was amazing. The boat behind it had been parked out there waiting on it for several hours. There was a small gun boat traveling behind it.

This picture better shows how long the sub was. You can see the tail of it up where it ends.

Here is the boat heading to shore with the sub. The gun boat was behind them both but too small to get a good picture of with my not so great camera.

This is the side of the beach where all the good shells wash up. The rocks are there because no swimming is allowed on this side due to the strong currents.

Here is a old brick from the Fort that somehow got washed up and stuck between some rocks. I just thought it was interesting.

My extremely adorable grandson, Logan, and his parents joined us for a day at the beach. It was Logan's first beach trip and at first he didn't want the water touching his feet so he would hold them up.

He got used to it fast and loved being at the beach. He was even happy in his pack-and-play with the water to look at.

It was a great weekend. We came home very tired just as we do from any successful camping trip!
Roberta
robertaw
500 Club

Postby SIXTOTWO » Mon Nov 02, 2009 7:52 pm

Very nice Roberta!! Thanks for sharing!! :thumbsup:
Terry and Sue Landis
BUILD THREAD
Image Image
******Embarassing our kids, just another quality service that we offer!******
SIXTOTWO
Donating Member

Postby DrCrash » Mon Nov 02, 2009 10:45 pm

Looks like a SSN fast attack submarine from Kings bay. The good ol days . Are there any one else on here have there dolphins?
DrCrash
The 300 Club

Postby Miriam C. » Mon Nov 02, 2009 10:50 pm

:applause: :thumbsup: Nice pictures --- I miss the beach until I get there and get sand everywhere............. :lol: Thanks for sharing with us land bound folks.
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby mandy » Tue Nov 03, 2009 4:44 pm

Roberta looks like you had a successful campout. :thumbsup:
Thanks for the pics. :)
The greatest wealth is to live content with little.
~Plato~
mandy
Donating Member

Postby 48Rob » Tue Nov 03, 2009 7:13 pm

Nice pictures Roberta,

Thanks for sharing them!

Rob
Waiting for "someday" will leave you on your deathbed wondering why you didn't just rearrange your priorities and enjoy the time you had, instead of waiting for a "better" time to come along...
48Rob
Super Lifetime Member

Postby Steve_Cox » Tue Nov 03, 2009 9:03 pm

Roberta,

Looks like a good time at Ft. Clinch. We too have been lucky enough to have a sub go by the campground. I go up to Fernandina pretty often for work and always enjoy the trip up A1A. Did you manage to get in a trip down town? If not, check it out next time. It is a cool place with abundant history.
Steve
Steve_Cox
4000 Club
4000 Club

Postby robertaw » Tue Nov 03, 2009 11:45 pm

Steve_Cox wrote: Did you manage to get in a trip down town? If not, check it out next time. It is a cool place with abundant history.

We drove around a bit but never really saw a "downtown" area. We have reservations again in May for a few days so maybe I will do some research beforehand for any good places to visit there.

We go on many day trips there as it's only 1.5 hours away so we may end up back there before May. I love how the beach is always nearly deserted. Up north people crammed onto the beach like sardines.
Roberta
robertaw
500 Club

Postby CAJUN LADY » Thu Nov 05, 2009 8:22 pm

Awesome pictures Roberty. I wish I lived closer to Ft. Clinch. Wasn't that the greatest thing to see the sub surface. When we were there a couple of years ago we got to see it coming in too. So damn cool.

Your tent looks good. I know it sucks to have to use one but it won't be long before you are sleeping in style.

I just bought a newer tow vehicle so I'm itchin to tow my camper somewhere.
Becca
~Cajun Lady~
CAJUN LADY
Donating Member

Return to Trips, Pics and Hiway Tales