Fall Photos

...the place to share tales of your travels and pics of your adventures...

Fall Photos

Postby Ivar the Red » Thu Nov 05, 2009 1:41 am

I don't know if I missed it...or if there hasn't Fall Foliage thread yet...but we got some pics of the leaves changing here (almost too late). We took these at Mt Scott in the Wichita Wildlife Refuge west of Lawton, OK. Does anyone else have any "Changing of the Seasons" pictures to share.

Here's the link to the rest of the pics....Linky

This is a nice place we camp here often. I'm not sure if it would work well for a gathering...but if anyone is passing this way...it's a good place to stop.
:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Wichita Mountains Wildlife Refuge

Doris Campground
Johnny
BUILD THREAD
Winning is not a sometime thing; it's an all time thing. You don't win once in a while, you don't do things right once in a while, you do them right all the time. Winning is habit. Unfortunately, so is losing. - Vince Lombardi
ImageImageImage
Ivar the Red
HOME RUN TILT

Postby Steve_Cox » Thu Nov 05, 2009 7:57 am

Johnny,

Thanks for sharing the photos. Usta ride my motorcycle there often when I lived in Lawton. Is the road to the top of Mt Scott open? It was closed last time I was out that way.
Steve
Steve_Cox
4000 Club
4000 Club

Postby dakotamouse » Thu Nov 05, 2009 1:01 pm

We had a strange summer followed by stranger fall. Summer weather was cool and when fall came the temp dropped fast one night. The trees were schocked out of their leaves. They dropped them while they were still green!

This weekend is supposed to be nice with temps in the 50's so we are going camping.

Where did you get it? We didn't get it, we built it!
Myron and Mary
dakotamouse
Titanium Donating Member

Postby Todah Tear » Thu Nov 05, 2009 1:48 pm

Ivar,

Those are great pictures! You are right. I have tent camped at Witcha with a group. It was great! There are a lot of day activity opportunities for short or long hikes and site seeing.

We stopped at a little villiage where there were several craft shops alongside a river walk. Do know the name of the little villiage near the refuge?

Todah
"It is not good to have zeal without knowledge, nor to be hasty and miss the way." Proverbs 19:2 Image
Todah Tear
Platinum Donating Member

Postby oklahomajewel » Thu Nov 05, 2009 5:25 pm

Johnny , we need to do a teardrop campout down there next Spring! !! Seriously!!! Maybe in May? or April?
Some things are way over my head !! ...but it keeps me looking UP!
oklahomajewel
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby Ivar the Red » Thu Nov 05, 2009 7:53 pm

Steve....Yes the road to the top is open...quite a view from up there!

Todah....There are several little towns around there...does Meers sound familiar?

Julie....A little get together would be fine, it would have to be one of those things where everyone sends me the money and I would have to get there early and squat on a bunch of sites. It's first come first served there. (I think the campground is ran by the City of Lawton, I may be confused)And no one could be scared of a little wildlife...the campground is in the free range wildlife refuge.

Big buffaloes!!! :frightened:
Johnny
BUILD THREAD
Winning is not a sometime thing; it's an all time thing. You don't win once in a while, you don't do things right once in a while, you do them right all the time. Winning is habit. Unfortunately, so is losing. - Vince Lombardi
ImageImageImage
Ivar the Red
HOME RUN TILT

Postby caseydog » Thu Nov 05, 2009 8:09 pm

Hey Johnny, this is a good time of year to take a trip across the Talimena Trail. We used to go camping there the first week of November to enjoy the color.

CD

My build journal is HERE
caseydog
Platinum Donating Member

Postby Ivar the Red » Thu Nov 05, 2009 9:30 pm

Ivar the Red wrote:Steve....Yes the road to the top is open...quite a view from up there!

Todah....There are several little towns around there...does Meers sound familiar?

Julie....A little get together would be fine, it would have to be one of those things where everyone sends me the money and I would have to get there early and squat on a bunch of sites. It's first come first served there. (I think the campground is ran by the City of Lawton, I may be confused)And no one could be scared of a little wildlife...the campground is in the free range wildlife refuge.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-4kaYkR3Tw

Please forgive the...ahh...colorful language towards the end(just turn down the volume, the commentary was just me being stupid anyways). :lol: I was a little "concerned" about the situation.
Johnny
BUILD THREAD
ImageImageImage
Ivar the Red
HOME RUN TILT

Postby mandy » Thu Nov 05, 2009 10:41 pm

I finally took a picture of the cotton woods that grow along side the Rio Grande. You can see the volcanos in the background.

The greatest wealth is to live content with little.
~Plato~
mandy
Donating Member

Postby Nobody » Fri Nov 06, 2009 8:19 am

Todah Tear wrote:Ivar,

Those are great pictures! You are right. I have tent camped at Witcha with a group. It was great! There are a lot of day activity opportunities for short or long hikes and site seeing.

We stopped at a little villiage where there were several craft shops alongside a river walk. Do know the name of the little villiage near the refuge?

Todah

That was probably the village of Medicine Park Barbara. It's just outside the east entrance to Wichita Mts Wildlife Refuge.

The campground inside the refuge is Camp Doris, operated by the National Park Service. Johnny is correct, it's first come, first served but they have a lot of sites, some with hook-ups. It's a wonderful place if you're into nature. Lenora & I have spent a lot of time there over the years. Used to be several small camping areas but everything has now been consolidated at Camp Doris. We spent a night there on our way to Cloudcroft last summer.

Steve, the Mt Scott road has been open every time I've been there for the past few years.
Harvey -

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Doing the right thing ain't always easy but, . . . it's always right!
Nobody
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby caseydog » Fri Nov 06, 2009 2:12 pm

Ivar the Red wrote:
Ivar the Red wrote:Steve....Yes the road to the top is open...quite a view from up there!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-4kaYkR3Tw

Please forgive the...ahh...colorful language towards the end(just turn down the volume, the commentary was just me being stupid anyways). :lol: I was a little "concerned" about the situation.

Next time, sneak up on some deer in mating season. ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=15ut0KUH ... ature=fvwp

CD

My build journal is HERE
caseydog
Platinum Donating Member

Postby JayM » Mon Nov 09, 2009 7:33 pm

I have a few pics. We went to North Carolina in October and camped at Linville Falls and at Black Mountain Campground near Mt. Mitchell. We did run into some rainy weather, but also had some sunny days.
This is Price Lake, near Boone. We went for a walk around the lake in the morning, and it was kind of foggy.
On the Blue Ridge Parkway at Price Lake
These 3 were taken on Pigeon Roost Road, a back road between Valle Crucis and Banner Elk. We rented a cabin there a few years ago. There always seems to be nice color there, so we try to swing through when we are in the area.
A view from the Parkway
Roaring Fork Falls near Black Mountain Campground
And finally, we picked apples near Hendersonville on the way home.
All in all, a good camping trip even with the rain. Best of all, no leaks :)
JayM
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Catoosa Grani » Mon Nov 09, 2009 8:29 pm

JayM -Thanks for the beautiful pictures. I would love to go there some day.

Johnny

We lived at Lawton for several years when the kids were little and spent nearly every week end touring the Wichita Mt.'s and swiming in the lake. Back then we didn't do a lot of camping so it was mostly daytime stuff. We belonged to a sports car club and we ended up a lot of rallyes there for picnicks, wiener roasts, etc.

Grani
ImageImage
Catoosa Grani
Gold Donating Member

Postby john » Fri Nov 13, 2009 11:46 pm

Fall camera play...

Build I -- Scenic ---
http://www.flickr.com/photos/8121727@N04/
Goto the Tear Build file

Build II -- Scenic II ---
viewtopic.php?t=29603

Build III -- Scenic Solo---
viewtopic.php?f=50&t=50324

Travel Blog----Now without Political Commentary
http://polifrogblog.blogspot.com/2009/0 ... -2009.html

The Constitution was ratified, not an interpretation thereof...

Penomeli ikibobo
john
john
500 Club

Return to Trips, Pics and Hiway Tales