Gumby's First Adventure

...the place to share tales of your travels and pics of your adventures...

Gumby's First Adventure

Postby trailtrekerNJ » Wed Aug 25, 2010 12:06 pm

Just finished the midnight shift swing, was trying to get some sleep and my neighbor is having two trees cut down. Not the type of sawing logs I had in mind.
So I'll try to coherently write about our first trip in the new TD.
Yes the family has voted and the verdict is in - because the TD had to have a name and because it is green it is now named "Gumby".
On the days off before the midnights we had to take a maiden voyage to iron out any kinks and find what further upgrades may be required before our first long haul. So we choose a camp ground we were familiar with and which is close by, just outside of Allentown, PA.
The two hour ride back and forth was a breeze, the Jeep pulled the camper with ease, it tracked excellent and except that it filled the rear view mirror I would not have known it was there.
The interior is much more spacious, whether it is due to the extra two feet length or that the birch interior does not give it a closed in feeling.
The overhead 3-way reversable fan was delightful and made sleeping much better than the old Little Guy without a fan. We never put the speed over 1, even that was a bit loud, and learned how to controll the air flow by opening the door windows to different heights.
I have to make some kind of fold up shelf to hold the laptop computer for watching movies. This time around we just folded up the quilt and rested it on top.
Pat is mad, I told her three strikes and the microwave is gone. We used an electric skillet to cook breakfast and dinner. Food tastes sooooo much better when camping. YUUUUMMMM!
The roof racks are up in the air, will try one more trip with the awning tied as seen in the pictures. This way allows to keep the doors open if it is raining. The roof rack would be good if stretching the awning to cover the galley area.
The only other things would be a larger tongue mounted tool box and maybe pouches to hold magazines inside.
Oh yeah I have to replace / relocate the license plate holder. It was originally mounted under the left side rear light. I thought this way to low and proved it to be so when backing into our driveway I missed the cut part and pushed over the curb. When I pulled forward to correct my approach I heard it rip off. No damage to the camper as far as I can tell, just have to find a better / higher spot and a bracket.

P.S. I guess I did something wrong as the actual pictures did not show up but only the links.
trailtrekerNJ
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Miriam C. » Wed Aug 25, 2010 1:21 pm

:thumbsup: :applause: Fun fun fun! I fixed the links. You need to highlight the links and click on IMG.
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby trailtrekerNJ » Wed Aug 25, 2010 1:46 pm

Thanks, Miriam. :thumbsup:
Went to show Pat the log entry and the picture s appeared.
If you didn't mention you fixed, I would have thought I was going nuts :lol:
trailtrekerNJ
Teardrop Advisor

Return to Trips, Pics and Hiway Tales